Preparing For The Pirtek ...

Hodgey

G'Day Raiders

Since my little bloke has started school now, my fortnightly RDO's usually find me on the water having a fish. With the Pirtek challenge looming, and the water in the lake clearing very nicely, it was another opportunity to check out some water in preparation for the challenge (assuming it's flathead of course).

The first 30 mins or so produced a couple of smaller fish in the shallows, but as the tide reached the top we headed for some deeper water. On Saturday, Deno had caught this nice 72cm model, hence the exploration of the deeper water

post-3198-12698301057_thumb.jpg

Low-light conditions and an incoming tide had turned the deep water cobalt blue, and it wasn't long before the tawny outline of a good flathead could be seen as Dene fought it to the boat. Another nice fish of 75cm ... the old bloke is on fire at the moment! :biggrin2: Comments were made about the Pirtek challenge ("If it's flathead again this year, that one would be worth a photo I reckon") and amongst all the excitement the fish was released without a photo! :074:

The tide turned and the current got progressively stronger. One more cast and it's time to look for some quieter water near the drop offs. I made my cast, and watched the line sink to the bottom. Wound up the slack line to impart some action to the lure and zzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!

Oh dear. Memories of last year's challenge (and a recent comment from Monch :biggrin2: ) came flooding back. In relatively quick time the fish was bought to the net and with a resounding 'thud', she hit the floor of the boat and went ballistic.

Rods are bouncing on the seats, my shins are copping a beating from a very powerful tail, and I've managed to rap line around everything in the boat except Deno. What a calamity! Finally extricate her from the net and peer into the cavernous mouth. The jighead had pinned her in the roof of the mouth, and a good 6" of fluro is looking decidedly shabby. A long pair of pliers easily removed the lure without hurting her, so a quick measure, a couple of photos, and off she swims.

89cm

post-3198-126983097528_thumb.jpg

post-3198-126983100059_thumb.jpg

Gee I hope the challenge species is bream this year! :074:

Cheers

Hodgey

Here we go again, fantastic fish there fellas, and just wait for the challenge they will all be in the 40's and 50's, Hodgey you've jinxed yourself again :074:

Yep, reckon you might be right, Ray :biggrin2:

Skip

OMG Hodgey!! That's a CROC!! Yeah - well done, but dont you think you've started your 'run' a little early?? I always managed to catch the bigger fish before most 'comps' I have been in!! :( Dene's fish is terrific too!

But fantastic fish, anyway!!! I can't remember - was your Pirtek last year as bad as MINE?? Bucketting with lashing rain, cold & I 'lost the pedal function' on my hobie & trying to paddle it was like push starting a sherman tank!! (BTW, the Sport is the least 'paddlerable' yak in the range - all the others are fine!! :wacko: ) OKAY - if I am totally honest, you can paddle it, but it is much easier pedalling it!!!!

Looks like you are about to cop some high rain today or tomorrow - I just hope it is all finished before the Easter Hols!!!

If it is flatties again, I'll have to dust off the squidgy fish & get out in the leases, I reckon, if I am to even catch one!! :1prop: It is so long since I've tried for one!

Maybe there will be a rush of Fishraiders down to Tuross, to follow the mystical Skip & Dene out to the magic waters, where the big monsters lurk!!! :biggrin2:

Cheerio & well done!!

Roberta

Congrats on the capture Hodgey, what a ripper :1yikes:

Was it 10lb fluoro that managed to stay connected on this monster?

Oh dear. Memories of last year's challenge (and a recent comment from Monch :biggrin2: ) came flooding back.

Here we go again, fantastic fish there fellas, and just wait for the challenge they will all be in the 40's and 50's, Hodgey you've jinxed yourself again :074:

Haha, i sure hope i have not jinxed you Hodgey, after all you did give me some pointers :P

There is still enough time between now and the day of the challenge for you to get your luck back... even though there is no such thing as luck when you are out flattie hunting... its more like a delayed certainty :1prop:

Monch

I can't remember - was your Pirtek last year as bad as MINE??

Roberta

This is what happened last year Roberta :mad3:

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=40113&st=0&p=299835&fromsearch=1entry299835

Whooaa.....now that's a croc - congrats Hodgie :thumbup:

Did you place a transmitter on her so you can reunite on the day of the challenge? :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Cam

Top idea Cam! :biggrin2:

Congrats on the capture Hodgey, what a ripper :1yikes:

Was it 10lb fluoro that managed to stay connected on this monster?

Monch

It was 10lb fluro, but this time it was Nitlon, not FC Rock. Nitlon is a thinner diameter than FC, so you're sort of 'scaling down' a bit without compromising strength ... I think :biggrin2:

Thank you for the kind words folks. It's great to see the fishing start to improve. I think you're right though Roberta ... Tuross is going to be inundated with visitors over Easter and cop an absolute hammering. Only time will tell how it will bounce back from that.

Cheers

Hodgey

Hodgie,

The mojo and the clear water has returned for you. I haven't caught a flatty over 50cm for 2 months up here! Can you wrap barrier tape around your favourite 3 spots and hope noone goes in there until the challenge? I don't think so! Your only hope is cyclonic wind until the challenge. If anyone deserves to take it out it's you (with a 1m+ croc!)

Terrible that you had to suffer the disappointment of an 89cm Flattie, Skip. :biggrin2:

You really will have to start either training the fish better or staying off the water for longer before the comp each year.

Hope you land a 90+ on the day and that Deno's is 90+ too (but 1cm shorter than yours)

Cheers, Slinky

PS... And DON'T forget the photos.

PPS... awesome fish mate. You two are on fire this year.