Pirtek Challenge Wrap-Up

crunch

Hit the bay with the family ,40 bream annoyed me till we found the whiting , got 7 over 40cm and called in another raider who then had the hide to get a 46 and a 45 in front of me , oh well thats team fishing .My 7 and 5 year olds have 41 cm whiting and 39 cm whiting so the fingers are crossed .

Hit the bay with the family ,40 bream annoyed me till we found the whiting , got 7 over 40cm and called in another raider who then had the hide to get a 46 and a 45 in front of me , oh well thats team fishing .My 7 and 5 year olds have 41 cm whiting and 39 cm whiting so the fingers are crossed .

:yahoo: :yahoo: Go Kid Power! Congrats to the younguns mate. Whatever the outcome, they did very well. :thumbup:

We landed roughly 20 fish, including a couple of whiting 38-40cm. Sadly, Deno had the misfortune of dropping two XOS flatties :( The Pirtek curse prevails again. :mad3: Nonetheless, any day spent on the water with my old mate is a bloody good one, and we had a great time. Looking forward to it again next year.

post-3198-127098259097_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Hodgey and Dene M

Well done for all Raiders who supported the Pirtek Challenge today.

I hope a Raider scores some prizes! :biggrin2:

Hodgey. I am also hoping that your Pirtek curse has no bearing whatsoever on our Monduran misfortunes! :ranting2:

It's only a matter of time before you & Dene take it out mate! :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Grant.

Caught a handful of undersized whiting, a stack of 30 odd centimetre flatties, and ended up with a 49cm flatty as the best model for the day.

Dropped a 60+ cm flatty at the boat :ranting2: . The bloody thing was stubbornly just holding on to the hookless end of a big poddie and spat it when he saw my pretty face :1prop: .

post-4617-127098520858_thumb.jpg

Tried to start fishing at 6am for the whole of the run-out tide but was too tired and slept in lol, ended up fishing at 10am.

The wind was way stronger than expected and there was stringy floating weed everywhere, fouling my plastics on 90% of casts and ruining an otherwise spectacular day. Ended up hooking 6 flatties all legal size, dropping 3 right infront of me and keeping 2, the largest at smack bang 50cm. Not in much contention of winning but at least its a PB for me :)

post-6015-127098950361_thumb.jpg

Monch

Edited by monch

Got a 46cm tailor, uploaded the photo, and then saw a pic on there for a 47cm model :(

Oh well, had a cracking day anyway!

Cut deep... haha. i only managed a 42cm tailor. One and only for the day. But had heaps of fun with the school of gigantic salmons

27062_1425765048559_1365758966_1180476_5833783_n.jpg

Caught heaps yesturday this being the biggest unfortunatly :( we did get heaps of bream, whiting, trevally, tailor and some pinkies.

droped 3 flathead at the boat 1 being well over 60cm would of been my PB :( i mainly fished with SPs and some bait fishing as well my mate with worms, nippers,squid and chicken :) the flathead responded well to paddle tail plastics in a poddy mullet colour/shape.

Hi all

I was out on the water from about 8am pretty well to 6pm!! :1yikes: Longest day on the water in the yak, yet!!!

Early in the piece, I dropped a flatty, then spooked a couple of nice ones that would have been about 50cm, but was pleased to see that some were around. In the Paddock, I drifted over one MOTHER of a flattie that was easily a metre & so I circled back but she was gone. Her much smaller companion was still there, tho (about 40cm) & wasn't interested in anything I tossed!

It was a terrific day on the water - the sun hiding behind the clouds made an interesting pic.

post-2231-127103636836_thumb.jpg

I paddled around the sandy area behind the bridge & once again spooked heaps! :1badmood: Then finally got a 40cm one ..... which I put into my live well (maiden voyage for it!) The 'outlet' worked brilliantly - shooting the water beyond the edge of the yak.

post-2231-12710362759_thumb.jpg

I headed to a couple of leases where I had 'always' caught flatties (& where I saw a 1m model last year in the ABT Yak Comp.) Once again, I drifted over another 1m model & did a big circle back & tossed my squidgy fish to it, to no avail! By now, I was getting a little despondent! I know there are monsters out there, but how to hook 'em??

I went across to another lease area that I have never fished before (but will put on my list as a likely bream spot tho! :biggrin2: ) and slowly made my way around the top of Godwin Island to head down the Breck Channel for home. The edge of the shallows/dropoff was covered in weed, so I thought I'd put on my Sammy & move it along the edge of the shallows & Blow me Down - the water exploded and my rod doubled over as the fish took off to the left, taking line!! Oh no! It's going towards a pole!! Luckily for me, it went in front of the pole & had stopped taking line, just big head shakes. For all of 2 seconds, I thought that I may even be able to bring it in ........ when the hooks pulled! Checking out the lure, one hook on the treble had almost been straightened! :mad3:

The flattie in the live well was going nicely, but I was a bit concerned that the rear of the yak was sitting pretty low into the water!!!

post-2231-12710364095_thumb.jpg

I opened up the centre hatch & my bag of lures was swimming!! The weight of the live well in the rear had allowed water to get into the yak thru the rudder cable holes! :wacko: No wonder I'd felt a little weird pedalling along - I'd put it down to the extra weight in the live well!! I pedalled over to some shallowes & got out & using my livewell pump, almost emptied the live well, then used it to get a lot of the water out of the hull, too. I headed down the Breck Channel & saw some fish activity over the racks! Oooh! Too good an opportunity to pass up - it is not often that I see the bream 'tailing' above the racks! I get my Squidgy Bug out on a resin head & toss it over the racks & get numerous hits & finally a hookup for about 2 seconds! Shame that the resin hooks are as solid as they are!! I reckon if I can shave a bit off them, they should still be strong, but finer & get better hookups!! I will try that today!

As I made my way down the channel, it started getting a bit darker & by the time I reached the car, it WAS dark!! I emptied out the water from the live well & felt pity on the still very active flattie, so let him go! I didn't figure a 40cm flattie would be in with a show & as it was now after 6pm, the pic would have shown the wrong time, too!! :( Then I tried to get as much water out of the yak as I could & will remove the rest of it very shortly!! I will also 'lower' the 'output' hole for the live well & see how it goes next time!! :wacko:

It really was a magic day on the water - so much better than last year! Looks like the weather may hold for the rest of the week, too!

post-2231-127103665622_thumb.jpg

a lovely sunset

post-2231-127103669205_thumb.jpg

Nice reflections

post-2231-127103673699_thumb.jpg

In the early afternoon, I'd even caught up with Steve & his family, visiting from Scone - Belinda had just landed a nice 50cm+ flattie, but they weren't doing the comp!! Matter of fact, it was their young son Tom who then asked me 'why is your yak so low at the back?' I said it was the live well & thought no more of it ........ til I opened the hatch later on!!

I must go back & try for those Big Mommas again!! :biggrin2: I think I need Hodgey up here to show me how to Hook 'em tho!!

Bring on next year's Pirtek!!!

Cheerio

Roberta

Sooooo. ........ do we have any Fishraider winners???

Didn't enter myself but put my two kids in. Eldest son got a 57cm and 46cm flattie, a 34cm tailor and a 27cm school whiting (not the target species) so we put the largest flattie in. The youngest tried hard all day but failed to get a legal flattie. Still, he got 3 undersized ones which I tried to convince him is still an achievement. Made most of the great day by going for a swim at Kurnell after lunch. Win or not, they have the caps to keep, some experience under their belt and a full day in the great outdoors!

Greeting Raiders fished the challenge in the Hawkesbury mouth from 6am till 3pm caught over 30 fish flaties and tailor none that were going to reach the brag mate, however day was great company was good and plenty of funny stories - Bring it on next year. El Presidente

Hit botany at 6am tides didnt fit my schedule, for the flatties so trolled around the heads for 5bonito and a mackeral,the wind came up and went back inside near the oil warf and only got undersize reddies and then decided to leave at 1pm.

Some good catches everyone. Well done.

Hope my end of cricket season trip doesn't coincide again next year.

OOPSY about your live well Roberta.

Just saw your signature Nathan...when did you get your boat?? Look out fish!! There'll be no stopping you now. Everytime I get a few $$ together something else takes priority, last week it was a new fridge. :1badmood: oh well, will keep squirrelling some away and get there sooner or later.

Slabslinger

I do apologise for taking the 46cm whiting from in front of you :1sorry: , but I was beside you to tell the truth. Had a great day thanks mate, weather was good, company was great and the fishing was fantastic.

Started out slow for me with the odd bream here and there hitting the deck, my deckie got his first whiting at around 10am with no more to be found at that time. Wasn't until 3:30 when I got my first and kept getting more bream and upgrades until I got the big one at around 4:30pm

This whiting is definitely a pb for me, I haven't seen a whiting this big before let alone caught one, so regardless of the results it is still a winner for me...

I hope that everyone else had a good day fishing.

post-7217-127107509465_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Pete