Huskisson - Currumbene Creek

fishopete

Hey Raiders,

Just got back from a week of relaxing, fishing & boating at Huskisson. Had been looking forward to the week away with family and friends, after not being able to go away in January due to a good mate passing away from cancer and being around to support his young family. Stayed at caravan park on Currumbene creek in a fantastic cabin right on the edge of the water.

Took small tinnie away with us for some fishing and boating in the area.

Fishing was very productive with fish caught on every trip up the creek. Flatties to 55cm, bream to 33cm, trevally, flounder, whiting, mud crabs, tailor, mullet and squid. I haven't fished the area before but found that everywhere we went in the creek we were able to pick up keeper size fish for a feed on the bbq.

If you go there you have to check out the fisheries ocean fish pond at Lady Denman museum on Wollamia Rd, about 1km north of Husky main town centre. Pond is full of monster flatties 60-80 cm, bream, snapper, jewies, tailor, blackfish, mullet which you can feed with pellets which you can buy at the pond jetty ($1 a pack - honesty system) or take your prawn heads to throw in (causes a feeding frenzy!). The fisheries office is right next door to the pond and don't be tempted to drop a line in unless you want a $500 on the spot fine and up to $22000 fine and/or imprisonment if you get caught. The museum for the Lady Denman ferry is also worth visiting to see how the ferry came to its final resting place in the museum shed.

My mate's wife and son came down to spend a couple of days with us, to have a break away for a while which was good for them. Daniel hadn't been fishing much at all so I took him fishing with my daughter on his first day with us. Within the first half hour of fishing he had managed to bring in a 52cm flattie and a 28cm bream - not bad for a beginner and I think this may have helped give him a keen interest in fishing, as he was always ready to go out in the boat at the slightest talk of going fishing for a while.

The creek was alive with fish, first night my daughter had caught some poddys from the edge of the creek right outside our cabin. I rigged one up live on an 8kg braid outfit and cast it into the creek and set the rod in a holder while I started cooking a bbq for us. After about 20 mins, the reel started screaming line off and I heard a massive splash in the darkness. I dropped my tongs and beer to grab the rod and felt some massive head/tail shakes as I loaded the rod up and then bang it was gone!!!! I pulled the line in and found my 20lb fluorocarbon leader had been shredded although the hook was still attached. Locals I spoke to said they get some big tailor in the creek at night and despite further night missions didn't get any other big hits. There's always next time I guess.

Anyway, had a great time and will definitely planning another week at Husky in the future. Tight lines!

FishoPete

Lovely spot. Stayed in a luxury cabin there 2 years ago and it was fantastic. I could wander straight out the front door to a private jetty to wet a line...

Discovered there are a shed load of flatties in that creek!

Hey Guys

Half your luck getting some time down in and around JB

Did you happen to notice if the weed was still around on Callala Beach? I head that there had been some green weed washed up on the beach to the point where it was a meter thick in some spots. Also heard it was starting to dry up and rot and there was a pretty dreadful smell coming from it.

Anyone know anything about this...?

Heading down for June long weekend and just hoping it has cleard by then.

Hi

Went down to Calala Beach on the weekend. The weed is out of control I don't recognise the weed but it

is washed up for the whole length of the beach. 15 meters out into the water at low tide all the way up to the

access tracks in the dunes. There was a bit on the beach at Calala Bay and a bit washing around in Currumbene Creek.

There's no swimming or fishing possible on Calala Beach, but we did manage a few fish from the little breakwall

near Myola.

Will post a picture of the beach later.

Bruce

post-6756-127174631811_thumb.jpg

a picture of the beach.

Bruce

a picture along the beach.

post-6756-127174661801_thumb.jpg

Thats F#*K'd big time.....

I head down to Callala Beach all the time and i remember back many years now, we goy the weed thick like that but it was red not green.

It was really fine stuff not the big clumps you sometimes get on all beaches.

From memory it took months to finally wash out to sea.

I don't reckon the sands down there have been as white since!

Anyone know of any reason why the council wouldn't step in here and clean it up using tractors? After i saw this i did some research and found an article which said that residents where complaining about the smell as aparently as the weed rots it releases a posioness gas and some locals have been complaining of dizzyness, headachs, sore eyes etc etc etc.....

Surely something needs to be done more so than just sit back and wait for nature to take its course?

I'll do my bit to help clean up that beach. I can forward my address, pick a heap of the freshest nicest weed and you can send it to my place. I'll then head in the harbour and "feed" the blackies!!!! Least i can do. As far as the flatties in that pond, i posted som pics a few months ago, but have a look again at the size and quantity of these beautiful fish.

post-11436-127183171006_thumb.jpg

post-11436-12718317243_thumb.jpg

hi fellow fish finding fanatic's.also had time down jb the last week but am glad to say that it seems that the worst of the weed is on the norht west side.fished vincentia(collingwood beach) 4 some nice bream,whitting and also some dart.water wwas beatiful swam most days with kids.best family holi had in a while...anyway if anyone gets a chance to visit done there,u can pump some nippers in the creek between husky and vincentia only east of bridge and try mos5t places for some good fish.JB has to be one of the best places on the east coast.catch many let just as many go....................

• 11 months later...

Nice report!

My brother in-law has a cabin at Myola (other side of the creek)... this is the first report i've read from the creek! Will have to bring my tinny down next time! :1fishing1:

I fished the breakwall at Myola in the deep hole at the end of the breakwall for blackfish and had the best session I have had for years on stud blackfish. I landed a few up to 43cm but was smashed up by bigger fish. I took some photos on my phone and will post when I get some software to download. I took some weed down there from St George Sailing club creek as there was no local stuff in creeks around Greenwell Piont. I dont think you need a tinny as I saw two beginners fishing off the beach landind flathead around a kg.

Howsy

Hey Guys

Half your luck getting some time down in and around JB

Did you happen to notice if the weed was still around on Callala Beach? I head that there had been some green weed washed up on the beach to the point where it was a meter thick in some spots. Also heard it was starting to dry up and rot and there was a pretty dreadful smell coming from it.

Anyone know anything about this...?

Heading down for June long weekend and just hoping it has cleard by then.

there is 100% no weed on south side of creek all the way to bowan island,seems to have only affected the eastern facing callala beach

I fished the breakwall at Myola in the deep hole at the end of the breakwall for blackfish and had the best session I have had for years on stud blackfish. I landed a few up to 43cm but was smashed up by bigger fish. I took some photos on my phone and will post when I get some software to download. I took some weed down there from St George Sailing club creek as there was no local stuff in creeks around Greenwell Piont. I dont think you need a tinny as I saw two beginners fishing off the beach landind flathead around a kg.

Howsy

Hi Ron

Got to watch out for the sandflies next time.