Must Have Tools On Boat

Timmy76

Safety:Spare plugs, short lenght fuel hose, flares, v sheet, first aid kit,motor oil, water, basic tool kit

tin snips-for smaller hooks, bolt cutters-for big hooks, laminated charts, compass,torch /spare batteries,spot light?,

fuel filters, fuses, hats & cheap sunnies. All I can think of that I carry as spares for now.

Cheers Rowan

Hi all,

Being new with boats, what are the 'must have' tools to have on the boat?

Any ideas would be great so I'm better prepared on boat in case something goes wrong one day!

biggrin2.gif

Hi Timmy,

Check out the button up top of the forum for NSW Maritime. There are checklists and info there to help you as well as suggestions from members of course

Cheers mrsswordie

Hi Timmy

once you get every thing together as in tools and excessories then theres the first aid kit. after reading on this site I now carry a thermos of hot water at all times incase of a sting or %%%%%ed by fish spike (warm water releaves the sting from most salt water critters). I found this to be good advice.

Brett

Thanks for your replies.

"spare plugs, short length fuel hose, bolt cutters, fuses" and "hot water in thermos" are the suggestions I was hoping to find out.

"basic tool kit" ... what kind of tool kit should I be looking at having on the boat as the must have? (that was more of what I am after - I should have asked the question properly)

Sorry for not asking the question correctly. "What kind of tool kit as a must have on boat"?

small shifter,large shifter.pliers plug spanner elec tape ,philips head screwd,flathead screwd,small wire brush,testlight,multigrips,vicegrips,spare sparkplugs,pullcord for flywheel if one not in your cowling cover already,fuses to match motor,spare primer bulb and tank fittings ,small ratchet with 8 10 12mm sockets,.5meter of 12volt 10amp wire,1mteter of shock cord which comes in handy for lots of different things,.5mtere of fuel line,5 cable ties, now they always come in handy and last of all in my bucket is spare bungs.i fit all this in 15liter bucket with water proof lid which fits next to petrol tanks at transom,cheers timmy thats whats in my tool kit.

Excellent dunc333 - just what I was looking for! The tool kit I need to know what other boat owners bring with them.

@mrsswordfisherman - NSW martime information checklist didn't have what I was after. I should have been more clearer on my question. Thanks for for that.

And thanks Kiwi and Ozbrett!

Have a great weekend! :thumbup:

Timmy,

I carry on my boat a smallish lunch box size container with: -

phillips head screw driver

flat head screw driver

plug spanner

shifting spanner

long nose pliers

multi grips

small vice grips

small sheet of wet & dry paper (800 for cleaning coked up plugs)

assorted cable ties

electrical tape

self amalgamating tape

spare plugs

fuel hose joiner

hose clamps

fuses

Separate to my tool kit, i carry:-

dry rag

can of "start ya bastard"

spare bung

spare primer bulb

spare oil

spare fuel filter

Other bits specific to my boat/ needs

All of these are ideas that you can use to put together your own kit.

Probably the best thing to do is to go and sit in your boat look around at how you are normally set up - then ask youself the question "what would I do if 'this' happened"?

From there, you can decide if you need to carry a particular item or tool,and whether or not you already have something on board that will suffice, before adding another tool or thing to your kit.

You need to decide if you have the ability to "fix" any given problem before you carry something for it. i.e - there is no point carrying a spare flux capacitor if you dont know how to wire it in and even if you do know how to wire it in, do you know how to set up the space/ time parrameters! & can you install it & set it up in a rocking boat/ in the rain/ in the dark etc - some times its better just to be able to get to safety

And dont forget that space and weight are a premium on a small craft & things like flux capacitors take up a whole lot of room! (dont know what they weigh!)

I hope this helps (Oh & I dont think it'll be easy to find a spare flux capacitor!)

Know how to start your engine (outboards) if your battery or starter goes dead.

I have cut a 150mm off my broom handle, drilled a hole and put a bit of rope (4 foot) through it and tie a knot in the rope at both ends.

Most engines should start by wrapping the rope around the top of the flywheel, and pulling it.

I can start my 50Hp, with ease and without a battery connected.

Ensure that the ignition switch is in the ON position (regardless of a battery or no battery the switch needs to be ON), and the fuel is primed.

You dont have rip the flywheel off the engine when pulling, but more of a little jerk when you feel the engines compression building up.

The knotch on the flywheel will tell you which way to wrap the rope.

not sure if this will work on larger outboards, but worth a try.

Mr Rosebay

Edited by Mr Rosebay

WTF is a "flux capacitor" ??????????????

Tuffy

Basically, unless you are driving a starship which can travel at warp speed, you won't need one.

Beam me up,Scotty.

Edited by mr475