A Rainbow At The End Of The Day

gmonaco

post-13449-127357578073_thumb.jpgHi All,

Long time watcher, first time poster, I'm SQUIDBOY's little Bro.

We went for a trout fish early last Saturday morning and like always I had to try and out do squidboy again, at what we both love best. It was quiet all morning till just before midday. When I had this decent hit and run on a yellow wing big devil.

I had my little 2 to 6 pound Loomis at the time and with 4lb braid I know that I had to play it safe. It was like catching a Jew with the drag Zzzzzzz Zzzzzzzz away too many times and for too long till it finally hit the banks.

A 47cm rainbow which made the trip worthwhile.

Regards

G Unit

Nice Rainbow, they are tricky fish to get and can see you a mile away, Ive been a regular camper at tumat and fished for them, got a couple only small and only spinning, not very good with fly casting

I have a Sage Z-Axis 590-4, 5 WT 9 foot 4p.

I'm am currently using RIO gold WF5F and thinking of going for a sinking line instead of a floater?

Would this help?

PS: I'm not giving up anytime soon, I won’t to nail one on a fly and cannot wait till November for the trout festival.

My other spinning rod is a G Loomis SRJ 6400.

Thanks

G Unit

G Unit,

Congratulations on a lovely fish and welcome to fishraider.

Flycasting:

The most impotant thing is timing.

Trying to cast distance is anti-productive.

Concentrate on stopping abruptly at 10 and 2 o'clock, plausing slightly before returning.

When you get the feel distance comes easily and presentation follows.

Hard to explain in an email. If your ever down Wollongong way drop a PM and we can have a practise.

After that have to spend time on a stream.

Good Luck,

Geoff

Thanks Geoff,

I think I need to practice keeping my rod in a straighter line while casting a bit more to keep the loop a bit smaller.

I'm looking at this fly fishing moves and I am slowly picking up my faults. It’s going to take some time but I’ll get there.

Hey G Unit,

Or should I say younger brother?

Good fish champ, I know I had a smaller fish at the end of the day, but I was scoping around more than flicking the lure.

Anyway, look forward to flogging you at the comp like always :biggrin2:

Squidboy