Botany Bay - 17/07/10. Perfect Day On The Water!

dhype

Hi Raiders -

Did a solo trip yesterday in my little tinny and had a late start arriving at the boat ramp at 9:30am.

Motored along at the usual locations until saw these on my sounder at molli point

post-10545-127941110209_thumb.jpg

Out goes two rods and hard body lures for a bit of trolling....

Within 2 minutes both rods go off at the same time!! The next few minutes were frantic as I was by myself... i had to steer the boat and at the same time tried landing the fish that was going off at the end on my lines. In the end I landed a nice salmon and dropped the other which was also a salmon as i saw it jump in the air a number of times.

post-10545-127941111725_thumb.jpg

I kept trolling the area and was hooking up every 1 or 2 passes... the school was a mix of salmon and tailor chasing bait fish down deep. Dropped big number of fish but still managed to land 10+ fish with a short period of time...kept a few for the family and the rest back in the water :yahoo:

post-10545-127941170042_thumb.jpg

post-10545-127941171757_thumb.jpg

post-10545-127941173664_thumb.jpg

post-10545-127941176002_thumb.jpg

Once the salmon and tailor moved on I headed to Towra flats and go a few good flatties on plastic.. stupid iphone battery was flat so no point in time photos.. :thumbdown:

Some of the days catch.

post-10545-127941214602_thumb.jpg

All up , great conditions and great fishing! My arms are actually buggered...

Will be out there again next weekend...say hi if you see me in my 4m Seajay boat with the blue pool noodle on the windscreen! You can miss it!

Cya all

DHYPE

Edited by dhype

nice catch there.. .

it was a really nice day on botany bay.. I went out in the morning with my missus to test up my new toy...took a few fishing rod with us (off course) did a short 2 hour session around the bay.. plenty of small sanapper and under size flatiie... keep one flatie thats decent. but yeah the water flat as mirror not much wind at all.

Fantastic feed there- Flatties, Taylor and Sambo's- all top fun on light gear.

Enjoy the feed mate, I'd be stoked with that lot :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Can I ask what lure did the damage on them tasty Taylor???

Cheers

Anthony

:beersmile:

Edited by wannabefisho

Great work finding the feeding salmon and tailor - that double hook up by yourself would have been hectic but fun :thumbup:

Can you tell me where Molli Point is?

Hi there Basscatcher

Molineaux Point is at the southern end of Yarra Bay.. on any given weekend just look for the spot where most of the boats have anchored up - chances are it will be Molineaux Point! Google maps will give you details also.

Cheers

DHYPE

Fantastic feed there- Flatties, Taylor and Sambo's- all top fun on light gear.

Enjoy the feed mate, I'd be stoked with that lot :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Can I ask what lure did the damage on them tasty Taylor???

Cheers

Anthony

:beersmile:

Hey Wannabefisho

Caught the all the fish on a combination of Storm, Rapala and the good old Mann's Stretch lures.

In the above picture, the tailor took a blue Storm deep diving minnow..the same lure but in gold did the damage last weekend.... fantastic lure for $6.00!

post-10545-127944867569_thumb.jpg

Cheers

DHYPE

Always great when you see electronic things say that there are fish. It turned out to be a beautiful day. I motored out from Connells Point to the Bay around 6.30am and back at 2pm (function to go to). Pretty slim day but did latch onto 2 fair size Port Jackson noahs over at the runway. I think there was only 1 there but got caught by me twice and also the other boats around over a few hours :1fishing1: I was hoping to land my 1st kingie but just noahs. Nothing kept and all released healthy.

Flano

Hi DHype,

I was out on the bay on Saturday morning too. But I didn't have as much success as you. Only managed 2 just leagal Taylor. I was in a White Quintrex named Grumpy's mate.

I spent most of the day fishing with bait, to no avail. Then at around 11-12am I tried trolling all around the south head and the north head. Then tried Yarra bay and Mol point. But didn't have any success. I think maybe my rapala lures were too big. What size were you using?

Cheers

Don

This sound also produced a few fish!!!

post-10545-127945149471_thumb.jpg

Cheers

DHYPE

do you mind me asking what khz transducer your running because i've got a HDS-7 and never see results like that when trolling in close, even when we come across a school of salmon, tailor...etc.

do you mind me asking what khz transducer your running because i've got a HDS-7 and never see results like that when trolling in close, even when we come across a school of salmon, tailor...etc.

you sounder has to be setup correctly to get nice readings like that

looks like he has his gain up a little thats why the screen is soo clear

only problem with this is you will also not see small schools of bait fish

as for the fish arches this will only happen when the fish are sitting directly under your transducer if the fish are on the outside of your transducer cone you will get half arches and so on

Edited by Framedtrash

Hi there Prawn -

I'm just using the standard 83/200kHz transducer.. I found putting the sound in "shallow water" mode gives me a clearing reading.

The rest of the setting is pretty much default.

Also make sure your transducer is installed/angeled correctly.. i had to play around with it a bit before i started clean readings

Hope this helps.

Regards

DHYPE

Hi DHype,

I was out on the bay on Saturday morning too. But I didn't have as much success as you. Only managed 2 just leagal Taylor. I was in a White Quintrex named Grumpy's mate.

I spent most of the day fishing with bait, to no avail. Then at around 11-12am I tried trolling all around the south head and the north head. Then tried Yarra bay and Mol point. But didn't have any success. I think maybe my rapala lures were too big. What size were you using?

Cheers

Don

Hey Don

I'll watch out for your boat next time and say hi.

The lures were about 15cm in length.. see one of my above posts for a picture.

Lure size/colors change all the time, best to put out a combination of lures and see which one works for the day.

Cheers

DHYPE

Hi there Prawn -

I'm just using the standard 83/200kHz transducer.. I found putting the sound in "shallow water" mode gives me a clearing reading.

The rest of the setting is pretty much default.

Also make sure your transducer is installed/angeled correctly.. i had to play around with it a bit before i started clean readings

Hope this helps.

Regards

DHYPE

thanks dhype and framedtrash for the info, I will have a play around with it next time im out and see how it goes.

Cheers, Prawn Star

Hi there Basscatcher

Molineaux Point is at the southern end of Yarra Bay.. on any given weekend just look for the spot where most of the boats have anchored up - chances are it will be Molineaux Point! Google maps will give you details also.

Cheers

DHYPE

Great work there DHYPE, we were out there on Sat morning too, but fished there between 7:00am until 8:30am or so, so Molli Point is the same as Trevally Alley? As we surelly got some Trevallies there.

And later we moved over to the Caltex oil wharf (opposite side to the big tanker that docked there on Sat midday), and got a few more Trevallies and one keeper flatty that went 41cm (and saw a kingie come up and wanted to have a go at the flattie when we were trying to land it).

All in all, a much better trip then the last few weekends where we came up pretty much empty.

This sound also produced a few fish!!!

post-10545-127945149471_thumb.jpg

Cheers

DHYPE

Some great fish, I would have been out there myself except for some motor troubles, I wouldn't head much further north than that shot as your very close to the no go area and a large black rubber boat might move you on, they give a bit of leeway near the point but not much.

Great work there DHYPE, we were out there on Sat morning too, but fished there between 7:00am until 8:30am or so, so Molli Point is the same as Trevally Alley? As we surelly got some Trevallies there.

And later we moved over to the Caltex oil wharf (opposite side to the big tanker that docked there on Sat midday), and got a few more Trevallies and one keeper flatty that went 41cm (and saw a kingie come up and wanted to have a go at the flattie when we were trying to land it).

All in all, a much better trip then the last few weekends where we came up pretty much empty.

" Molli Point is the same as Trevally Alley? "

Yeap - the same area

Regards

DHYPE

Great to see sharing with us the type of lure used, not many will do that. The 17th wasn't easy to catch fish in the bay but you did well done.

No dramas giving a bit of extra info if it will help others. Plenty of fish in the sea! :1fishing1:

Boat ownership and fishing with lures are relatively new to me (only being doing both for 12 months or so) but what i do know mostly came from this site.. so hopefully now i can contribute back! :thumbup:

Cheers

DHYPE