More Texas Kings

jordan.widz

Well I have to say that I am now officially addicted to jigging for kings after today's expierence. My dad and me have only been out to Texas reef 3 times now and each time we have brought home 3 beautiful kings on jigs two of which were PB's for me.

Today we were the first boat out there and had the reef all to ourselves for about an hour until 12 boats arrived and the spot was soon packed and everyone was on to the bonnies, today they were as thick as the jackets were a month ago and on our first three drops we landed 3 fat bonito in a row :1yikes: .

We were getting a bit sick of these and wanted some kings so we moved away from the crowd and had a sound around until we found a nice bit of reef east of texas. Within my first few drops I jig up two undersize kings (55 & 58cm) which quickly went back in the drink. By now we still didn't have any fish in the box so my dad decides to plonk two kings on the deck within minutes of eachother :mad3::mfr_lol: they went 72 and 73cm.

post-14559-128005642322_thumb.jpg

Now it is getting towards the end of our session and our arms are acheing and I still haven't caught a keeper so we sound around a bit more and find a sharp drop off from about 90 to 100 metres and there is fish showing right on the edge, we position the boat just up-current of this spot and on my first drop with the cheap jig with half the paint missing, my jigging stops, and 12kg of drag starts peeling of the Spheros like I had nothing on it, so I crank it up a bit more and start working it of the bottom, once I had it of the bottom I backed of the drag and let him have a few good runs to tire it out and soon a fat hoodlum arrives beside the boat and goes 93cm to the very tip of the tail. :yahoo: , my new PB!!!

post-14559-128005637484_thumb.jpg

post-14559-128005640016_thumb.jpg

There are still a few jackets out there and they will snip you off if you stop your retrieve with the jigs yet they don't seem bother the livebaiters (does anyone know why this is?) and the weather was alot worse than what seabreeze said (more like 15-20 knot winds and 1.2 metre swell) but despite the jackets and the seas it was still a great day as I got my biggest ever Kingfish.

Have fun out there and take care, Cheers Prawn Star

post-14559-128005644769_thumb.jpg

post-14559-128005646541_thumb.jpg

Nice fish there Prawn Star, I noticed you mentioned you had a Spheros, have you upgraded the handle or is it still original? Also what rod have you paired it up with?

Cheers

Andy

Prawn Star,

Great fish mate, having a ball no doubt

Can you or anyone here tell me how far Texas reef is from Terrigal/the Entrance?

Have the GPS marks but the GPS is getting repaired.

Just a rough idea of how far off the coast would be appreciated.

Cheers

Knuckle

Prawn Star,

Great fish mate, having a ball no doubt

Can you or anyone here tell me how far Texas reef is from Terrigal/the Entrance?

Have the GPS marks but the GPS is getting repaired.

Just a rough idea of how far off the coast would be appreciated.

Cheers

Knuckle

its around 24km out

I was scared you would say something like that. I've heard reports of kings out at 12 mile.

No sign of them yet at the Peak. There were about 15 boats at the Peak on Sunday morning but I didn't see anyone hook up.

Ben

i fished the 12 on Saturday not much going out out there atm apart from barracuttas

Nice fish there Prawn Star, I noticed you mentioned you had a Spheros, have you upgraded the handle or is it still original? Also what rod have you paired it up with?

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andos,

we haven't upgraded the handle because I just can't justify the price of it but am thinking of upgrading the drag washers because when it gets to around 12-15kg of drag it starsts to feel a bit rough. And its paired up with a Shimano T-curve Deep jig 400 (24-37kg)

Great fish Prawn Star,

Did you drop any livies down? I think I drove over the shallower peak you were fishing on the way home from Texas last trip. It loooked fishy and Scotty Thorington was fishing it. i marked it and will try it next trip.

Well done on some good kings.

Anthony

Great fish Prawn Star,

Did you drop any livies down? I think I drove over the shallower peak you were fishing on the way home from Texas last trip. It loooked fishy and Scotty Thorington was fishing it. i marked it and will try it next trip.

Well done on some good kings.

Anthony

nah we only jigged on this trip but seen a lot of others having success on livies. And yeh where where ever scotty's boat is there is always a crowd of other boats around him too. it must get fustrating sometimes.

Nice fish Prawnstar, drove past you last Sunday. Also picked up a few kings arond the 70cm mark, some big bonito's and my first Sampson fish. The sampson was arond the 55cm mark. I thought kings pulled hard but that sampson put up the best fight for a fish of that size. Can't wait to I tangle with another sampson.

Sqidy

• 9 months later...

How far out is texas and where to launch boat from? Cheers

Texas reef is around 24km around 12nm out from Terrigal it may be bit closer from the Entrance. but the boat ramp at Entrance.is not good. the best closest ramp is Terrigal. And you can get lives near the ramp near Red Boy near the wall. Drive to Terrigal from Sydney is around 1:30hr

Thanks

BigKing