I Give Up - What Is This Fish?

arpie

Hi all

In an effort to get some smoked fish pie into the fridge, I went out today to fish the top of the tide for blackies, really pleased that it seemed a half alright day, given how horrible it was yesterday! It bucketted with rain all day & the wind was howling!

I'd caught a few tiddlers & tossed them back, when I finally got a good strike! It fought hard, trying to take me back under the jetty but I thwarted it's escape ....... It looked almost black in the water & I wondered if it was a big drummer! It is particularly ugly. It went 40cm & weighed about 1kg. But no, it was not a drummer ....... is it a parrot fish? No. Is it a puffer/toad fish? No. Hmmmmm huge scales, almost jewfish size with about 8 bright blue spots on each ........

I have made the pics fairly large so that you can get a better look at this weird fish! It's eye almost looked like it had cataracts (milky.)

A very solid rounded body shape & it actually has a bit of a snout/proboscis protruding from its upper lip. It even reminded me of a carp, sort of!

I checked out Grants book of fish - & couldn't find anything that looks remotely like this. It isn't a wrasse or cod. It's lack of teeth made the mouth look like someone without their dentures in! It's tail was large & rounded.

post-2231-128039941599_thumb.jpg

milky eye - the skin behind the eye seems to be scale-like & you can see how they then 'become' actual scales from the gills - quite weird!

post-2231-128039947809_thumb.jpg

It's ugly lower jawline somewhat resembles a moray eels mouth, tho it didn't appear to have any teeth to speak of, nor the parrot beak style teeth. You can see the snout/proboscis in this shot

post-2231-128039952128_thumb.jpg

post-2231-12803995733_thumb.jpg

Much lighter coloured on the belly

post-2231-128039962243_thumb.jpg

Very colourful massive scales - bright blue dots (up to 8) on each scale. Each scale is about Jewfish size (way bigger than my thumb nail.)

post-2231-128039987779_thumb.jpg

So, whaddya reckon it is??

Cheerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Have never seen anything like it in any books, or in my 50 years of fishing.

The closest thing would be one of the parrot fish (which are the wrasse family).

You might have to take the photos to the Australian Museum.

Yowie.

he he I am glad it has stumped you, cos it really stumped me!! It is still out there, swimming around, with a bit of a sore lip tho.

Yep - a bit of a mongrel fish, I reckon too, Luke. Even Chris from the Caravan Park (very knowledgeable fisho) couldn't guess. We went thru the whole of Grants looking for it!

Hi Bloopin - re: Ps, where do you get your blackie floats from How do you know that I hadn't made it???? Nah, I didn't! A buddy gave me a couple some years ago - using cedar & thick welding wire instead of wood for the pole. Glues a straw over it & paints it with stripes! Haven't seen him for some years now.

CHeers

Roberta

Got some fresh cabbage this afternoon so hope to catch some blackies tomorrow!~

Edited by Roberta

G'day Roberta,

WOW1yikes.gif It's ugly yet beautiful at the same time and I can't take my eyes off it. Can it be a new species?

It looks like coral bald chin parrot wrasse to me1prop.gif

It was a shame about the lack of blackies but I'd be pretty chuffed landing that fish whatever it is. Did it put up much of a fight?

It was a shame we missed you at the social, but can I just say Roberta I've just finished reading the article you did for 1fishing1.gif world on top water breaming and all kudos to you. It had everything you needed to know plus more and the pics were bloody fantastic especially the bream release one would have to be one of the best fishing pics I've seen. thumbup.gif

beersmile.gifBrad

Hi Roberta... found it.

I think it's a Blue-Spotted Parrotfish. Leptoscarus vaigiensis.

According to my reference books a very unusual capture. It's a tropical species more commonly found in WA but ranging around Northern Australia to NSW. Pretty sure that's the one.

http://australianmuseum.net.au/Blue-spotted-Parrotfish-Leptoscarus-vaigiensis-Quoy-Gaimard-1824

Cheers, Slinky

he he I am glad it has stumped you, cos it really stumped me!! It is still out there, swimming around, with a bit of a sore lip tho.

Yep - a bit of a mongrel fish, I reckon too, Luke. Even Chris from the Caravan Park (very knowledgeable fisho) couldn't guess. We went thru the whole of Grants looking for it!

Hi Bloopin - re: Ps, where do you get your blackie floats from How do you know that I hadn't made it???? Nah, I didn't! A buddy gave me a couple some years ago - using cedar & thick welding wire instead of wood for the pole. Glues a straw over it & paints it with stripes! Haven't seen him for some years now.

CHeers

Roberta

Got some fresh cabbage this afternoon so hope to catch some blackies tomorrow!~

Hi Roberta, looks like thats about the full size they grow, looks old, reckong its a fish raider record as well :thumbup:

According to my reference books a very unusual capture. It's a tropical species more commonly found in WA but ranging around Northern Australia to NSW. Pretty sure that's the one.

http://australianmus...oy-Gaimard-1824

Cheers, Slinky

Woohoo!! Well done, Tony!! Excellent sleuthing!! That is it exactly!!! Wonder what the female looks like. Such a weird looking thing!! So my first guess was right, sort of!! I'd been watching this big black thing hanging under the jetty for a while & can only assume it was this fish, once I caught it!!

The blue spots on it were absolutely luminous!

Do I qualify as a "Blue Spotted Parrotfish" Leptoscarus vaigiensis RECORD HOLDER for Fishraider?? (thanks Groper - forgot about THAT!!)

Cheerio

Roberta

Off to the breakwall to do battle again! :biggrin2:

Hi Roberta... found it.

http://australianmuseum.net.au/Blue-spotted-Parrotfish-Leptoscarus-vaigiensis-Quoy-Gaimard-1824

Cheers, Slinky

did you notice the photo on the right of the attachment tony???? it said - taken at - you guessed it - FORSTER!!!!

maybe they are a little more common up your way than we thought roberta.

pete.

Edited by tide'n'knots

Hi Roberta,

What an amazing capture.

I was half expecting Dr julian Pepperill to submit a post !

It's scales look oversize for the size of fish and they also don't look elliptical either.

It reminds me of a Ceolocanth !

It's teeth are also crusher type pads - line a big ocean toadfish.

With a solid head like that, it looks like it must have headbutted the wharf a few times to try to knock you off it so it can escape !

Were you afraid to touch it in case it had some nuclear neurotoxin in it's dorsal spines ?

Tony

Edited by Keflapod