Eel Tailed Catfish In Botany Bay

georgieboy

gday raiders

Went for a quick fish at frenchmans bay yesterday and after netting a 52cm flattie on a pilchard I also got a huge catfish on a peeled prawn. This thing was atleast 45cm and like nothing I have seen before. I have caught many a catfish in the hawkesbury, small little thing with posinous spike, but this one was a lot bigger, was heavy as and had no such spike. Had a little look on the net and it says that they are native to murray-darling, is this true?Also said they are excellent eating which is a bummer, was to cautious of getting spiked by the thing and so chucked it back in. Sorry no photo, was pretty frantic on the breakwall!Any ideas if this is common capture or not?

Georgieboy

Hi there George,

You did the right thing throwing that sucker back as they are completely different to the freshwater variety which are indeed good to eat.

Cheers Stewy

Fishing after a big electrical storm off Rose Bay one summer night many years back we took 5 or 6 big ones atleast a couple of kilos each from the sand. I had nightmares of those ugly catfish coming to get me for weeks after that! U.G.L.Y you ain't got no alibi - you ugly.

Hey Georgieboy,

I usually catch several of those big brown ugly catties each year.

They like the weed / sand type bottom and usually bite before dawn.

There's more than 1 spike on those things so be careful.

You did the right thing to cut the hook off and let it go.

Just wait until you get a dirty great pike-eel while fishing for jewies...

I think they eat the catfish !

Tony

Edited by Keflapod

I got one that was around 60-65cm from Pane Cove after the May rain, and a 2m+ eel on 8lb mono- I landed the catty, and released him after cutting the line, but not the eel... so close, lol

... was too scared to use my net for the eel either (nasty to try and untangle one of them) 1badmood.gif

Tight lines

Anthony

I caught one just off the break wall at Kurnell as a kid, about 15 years back. I still remember it as if it was yesterday, I just had the hook on the surface of the water and I turned around to grab a new piece of prawn. The hook had just some remains of prawn shell, and suddenly wam, I saw my rod bending like no tomorrow. When I brought it up it was one of the most ugliest looking things, I don't know if it was mutated or something, but it was off-white in colour.

I don't think there are common catch, but they are definetley around.

hi there, i have caught this sort and the smaller striped ones as well, i personally dont eat them , but i have given them to an asian friend that asked me if i can catch some for him, he likes the smaller stripes ones but as for the ones you caught he doesnt like them, thats saying something,

• 2 months later...

Here's a pic of my first catfish

67cm caught at towra on Oct 19, 2010

When i saw the head come up i thought it was a massive flatty but then got really disappointed when i noticed the eel like tail. Still a good fish. Released after a few pics.

post-12306-090278700 1287617328_thumb.jpg

Be careful with catfish as they have poisonous sacs along their barbs that break when entering your skin. I was fishing under the Hawkesbury railbridge a couple of years ago with a couple of mates when I pulled in a catty,(about number 50) I missed grabbing the mouth with the pliers and ended up with his spike going through my first finger and into the second one. It was alright for about 30seconds and then the unbelievable pain! My hand ached for 2days,

Regards Jeff