Hobie Kayak

james1990

hi all,

so i'm buying a hobie kayak this week - but which one do i get?

i want to use it for chasing trevs, kings, salmon & the like in botany bay... as well as some light offshore & headland work. i've done as much research as I can and whilst what I have found does give some insight; I am still very much undecided.

please offer some advice, & why I should purchase a particular model for the above-mentioned style of fishing.

James

hi all,

so i'm buying a hobie kayak this week - but which one do i get?

i want to use it for chasing trevs, kings, salmon & the like in botany bay... as well as some light offshore & headland work. i've done as much research as I can and whilst what I have found does give some insight; I am still very much undecided.

please offer some advice, & why I should purchase a particular model for the above-mentioned style of fishing.

James

Hey James

Would love to know where from, and how much, and all the gory details. I'm in the "thinking" stage.

Mike

thanks for the replies,

just after a hobie guys... really keen on one of them

looking for replies from experienced users within the fields that I am interested in.

price doesnt matter at this stage, which is why i am asking "which one" as I know the models get more expensive as you go up the ladder.

James

if it was me i would get hmmmmmmmm....... probably the AI .if ur not into sailing then the outback with turbo fins and the sailing rudder .

fast ... stable ... go anywere ...do anything .... handle it all .BUT i wouldnt buy a hobie as they have a design fault in that,some of that hulls split in and around the mirage drive area . dont like the idea of going out offshore and then getting a split hull . it happens more often than the reps would like to tell u .a mate has had 3 replaced in 18 months . thats is why they have strengthend the drive area with the stainless clips on the 2010 models BUT it still happens .though they have a GOOD warenty and WILL look after u if this happens .

if u buy one i expect it would either be the outback - the revo or the pro . the pro is a big yak and at 60kgs is a bit of a handlful out off the water[ something to consider ].the revo is the fastest but the less stable out of the 3 . the outback is like a 4wd ,good platform with a well disigned cockpit area but i expect u will be happy with any of these models .

good luck

craig

Edited by craigtempo

thanks Craig,

you highlighted 2 of the models I was really torn between; the Revo and the Outback - i have heard that the revo is a good yak, but the stability factor worries me for offshore bobbing around near wash etc; the Outback seems big and wide, but i have heard that it was designed particularly for +100kg yanks, with lesser weight apparently they are a bit buoyant therefore losing their stability factor (i am 65kg); the third option was the smallest of the group being the sport, however as I am an angler who enjoys taking a feed of fish home the Sport's lack of storage and spare space to lie a brace of kingies on the deck put me off.

i considered the pro angler too, but after checking reviews etc it seems more like a calm water yak than anything else - which isn't really my style.

thanks Scaffdogg, very helpful to hear of someone who has one.

James

Edited by james1990

torqeedo_ultralight_kayak.jpg

How about something like this......

This is outback. It's a little bit heavier than revolution, but revo is faster a little bit than outback. Outback is more stable than revo. That's a hard choice to choose which one for yourself. Pro is too heavy that lifting on the roof rack when you are alone. I have a outback and some guys do offshore works using more revo than outback.

Hi James

I have the Sport and just love it, but I do mainly estuary, dam & lake fishing. I've taken it offshore a few times, but I get terribly sea sick, so will only do so from now on, if dead calm.

I had an Outback but it was just too big & heavy for me to handle on my own (getting it on & off my little ute), so sold it & bought the Sport. I also felt the Outback was a little 'tippy' for me, but it was the older model & this has been improved on totally in the last couple of years. I am a similar weight to you. There is very little difference in the ride of the revo/outback now, other than the Revo is a more sleeker model with different deck layout. I fished from the current model Outback last year & really enjoyed it - totally different to my Pre 2008 model Outback. The deck layout on the Outback (I think) is superior to the Revo. The revo is a lot more streamlined & as a result, you are closer to the water in it! In choppy conditions, this may mean that you get more waves breaking onto you. I enjoyed my couple of trips in the Revo too - any yak that you intend to take offshore, you should put an automatic bilge into. As Craig said, there has been some issues on yaks developing cracks & taking in water ....... the bilge will alleviate immediate concerns & also let you know that it is happening! Even the AI should have an automatic bilge. By having the sail as well, it gives you extra insurance. One bloke at SWR in Feb this year, hooked up to a marlin in an AI without a sail & was towed quite a few KMs down the coast & was knackered by the time he cut the marlin off ...... and was lucky that a buddy had followed him in his AI with sail ..... and gave him a free ride home.

Hobie has excellent after sales service, so in the offchance that you DO have a problem with the hobie of your choice, you can rest assured, it will be replaced if there is a manufacture fault.

I've also used the PA over 3 days & even tho some people DO take them offshore, I would be hesitant to recommend it. I don't think that you will find anywhere in the Hobie blurb, that it is an offshore yak (I may be wrong tho.) It was primarily designed for dams, lakes & estuary fishing. They ARE BIG YAKS!! They are the ones built for the Big Fat Yanks! I had difficulty in pulling it up the bank onto a boat ramp (but would readily admit to not being the strongest person in the world too!)

Basically, the longer the yak, the better ride you get in choppy conditions. The Sport bobs up & down like a cork. THe Outback & Revo are similar lengths & are pretty good at slicing thru the waves, but the AI comes into its own there, as it is the longest of the lot!

The only Hobie yak I haven't tried is the AI .... but I have plenty of friends who have started off with Outbacks & Revos who have all upgraded to the AI with sail within 2 years of buying their original yak. Even buddies with PAs have upgraded to an AI & love them. You have the choice of using as a straight yak, add the outriggers for added stability, then hoist the sail if you want some serious fun! If you are doing lots of offshore fishing, I think it would be the craft for you. They even do a tandem AI now, too, for 2 people!

The best advice I could give you, would be to contact a dealer & make sure that you try at least the Outback, Revo & AI (with outrigger & sail.) Only then can you really have the knowledge to make the right choice.

Pm me if you'd like me to put you onto some buddies who have & love their AI's. One of them is a lady - she & her partner took their AIs over to Lord Howe Island ..... and caught the most magnificent sized kingfish and all sorts of other species as well! So if Lynette can use one, anyone can!!

Cheerio

Roberta

Oh yeah - once that leccie motor gets added to the yak, the price increases by about $2000+, maybe double that, by the time you get the special battery for it as well! It was specifically designed for Hobies by Torqueedo! They have another motor that fits into the Hobie Mirage Drive as well!! :1yikes:

Edited by Roberta

thanks for all that Roberta,

you have swayed me more to the outback now due to your experience with the latest model, I was pretty much settled on the revo until i read your very informative reply.

i should clarify; whilst I will be using the yak around the headlands and possibly just outside of BB a bit, the hobie will mainly be used inside Botany Bay itself around 90% of the time. in saying that though, I will be concentrating my efforts on areas such as Moll Pt and the Oil Wharf which are situated a short paddle from the headland anyway.

I will be viewing the range later this week and making my selection then.

thanks a bunch for your insight.

James

I've got a 2010 Outback with Turbo Fins and Sailing Rudder. Stability is excellent, Speed is fine but I haven't experienced a Revo so no basis of comparison. The thing that got me over the line with the Outback was the space and weight capacity. I really really love my Outback and I think you too will be happy with one.

If you can afford it and can workout a good way to transport it, go the PA... i think it'll be very sea worthy.

Mick

• 1 month later...

I have the Quest and love it. It is paddle not peddle so you do get the satisfaction of kayaking not riding a recumbent bike.:biggrin2: It is the top of the line model in terms of paddling, otherwise, I would buy a Revo which is a quest with mirage drive and a bit longer. Nice fast, stable kayaks.

I started getting a liking to the Outbacks just because it is wider and provides more space for my fat ass. Good luck though and I'm sure that you will be happy whichever model you get.

AI for the win. If price isnt an issue then definitly go for the AI. You can use it with just the hull if you want like an adventure, with one outrigger Polynesian style for more stability or the full AI setup with sail. The only downside is its so much fun to sail you probably wont be doing much fishing for a while ;)