Monster Cuttlefish

steven6411

Steven, just normal size for this time of year, they come to spawn then die. You may also see their cuttle floating as well. Once they are around you will know that the snapper are also here. :biggrin2:

Edited by finin

If you target them in certain areas especially over deepish reefy areas they are normally quite easy to catch.

I reckon they are even better than squid when it comes to Kingy baits. Either use the candles whole or you will get a lot of strip baits off one of the wings of one that size! Unlike squid it also doesn't seem to suffer too badly from being frozen. If you can, freeze bits of it in zip lock bags full of ink - and believe me there will be plenty of ink when you start cutting it up!!! Just make sure you either put down lots of newspaper or do it on a surface you don't care too much about getting messy...

Didn't think to weight it at the time, but i say around 5/6 kilo.The flesh was at least 2inchs thick. We saw some smaller one's floating around (dead).

We cut it up on the beach and it looked like there had been an oil spill.

I do normaly use cuttlefish for snapper, just not this big.

Steven

I have caught a few around that size and a bit bigger also. You will find they are quite common around this time of year. If you fish with live baits you will find you often get those guys hitting the baits.

Well done on a nice cuttlefish and what i assume to be your best so far!

Still rather juvenile at that size.

I have caught them in excess of 20kg.

I dont neccesarily agree with all those who say it is awesome snapper bait. I'm not saying its not good snapper bait, but i can't recall the last time ive read a post or even seen someone bag out at the snapper grounds using cuttlefish.

Anyhow, nice catch!