Got Stretched!

Jewhunter

G'day all.

After being regaled by tales of big bustoffs a few days ago by BrownDog2 & fello fisho Norm we made a plan to hit the same spot on Sunday in B.Dogs awesome 6.4mtr Barcrusher.

I reloaded my new & upgraded old ABU 10000 ( Thanks Slinky! ) with 50lb braid & put it on my 15-24kg Shimano Backbone using 80lb leader. Should do the job I thought. :biggrin2:

Tried for livies off Kirra with no luck but then got heaps of yakkas & slimies at the sand pumping jetty.

Punched out in a much bigger sea & wind than was forecast. :thumbdown:

After 1 stop to recover & a couple of squire we made it to the spot 20km's out.

There was a few boats there jigging & we saw plenty of them hooked up. Most of the fish looked like rat kings.

I dropped a live yakka down & it took about 3 minutes until it was smashed. After a solid fight losing no drag :biggrin2: I landed my p.b amberjack of 70cm's.

Next drop I hookup again. This fish didn't do much until it was 20mtrs off the reef. Then it nearly dragged me out of the boat. When it took 2 mtrs of drag I cranked it up again & got slammed against the boat but no more drag came off the reel. This was brutal fishing & I was loving it. After a solid tussle I landed my p.b king of 93cms.

The boys were in on the fun as well. Norm got a similar sized amber & a 90cm king & B.Dog got 2 ambers. Norm also managed a surprising 78cm jew.

My next fish was another king of 91cm's & the one after that a new p.b amber of 75cms. :yahoo:

Called it a day around 12pm with an esky loaded with fish.

AWESOME day on the water. :thumbup:

J.J loved holding up the king when we got home.

Also a big thanks to Greg & Norm for having me onboard.

Sorry I outfished you! :1prop:

Hope you enjoy the pics.

Cheers,

Grant.

Sensational Fishing Jewhunter. Very Very Jealous. Great Haul.

Did you do any jigging yourselves or all on Livies?

Nah mate, didn't jig. Maybe 20yrs ago! :074:

Honestly though, we didn't see the jig boys didn't nail any big fish. We wanted those & the ambers & the livies did the trick.

I did have a big octopus jig out with a 7'jerkshad trailing off it on a 3 way swivel but it didn't get touched.

Cheers,

Grant.

Thanks for the replies all! :thumbup:

It was a great session. I can't believe how well the old reel performed. :1yikes:

Slinky did a terrific job. An automatic 2 speed is a blessing when cranking up cranky fish.

What a reel!! :yahoo:

The ambers fought well & I reckon better eating than the kings. Maybe not as hard fighting as the kings but I didn't get a 93cm amber!

Don't worry Bubba, the barbie was fired up & a few blue cans were consumed. :biggrin2:

Hopefully I am finally getting a handle on the fishing up here. After 4 years the results are thankfully coming. The bass & offshore are producing.

Now I just have to work out this bloody river!! :wacko:

Cheers,

Grant.

Hey guys,

Where is the sand pumping jetty?

I am struggling to find a good bait spot in botany.

4 attempts now and only a handful of tiny yakkas.. I would kill for some live slimeys .

Cheers

Roddy

G'day Rod & :1welcomeani: to the site.

Sorry mate but I live & fish in Tweed Heads! 900kms is a bit far to travel for livies for the bay! :biggrin2:

The sand pumping jetty clears the Tweed Bar & they pump it to Kirra & Snapper Rocks to re-create the 'superbank' surf break.

It can be hard to find yakkas at this time of year in the bay.

Any members want to p.m Rod with some suggestions please?

Cheers,

Grant.

Woohoo!!! Don't you just LOVE it when you have a plan & it all works out as planned!!!

Congratulations boys - especially all the PBs!!! You sound really chuffed, Grant & I am so pleased you managed to boat your kingies & amber (massive fish!) and your gear didn't let you down (Go Slinky!)

Great to see JJ celebrating your catch as well, Grant ..... in a few short years, he'll be catching his own, eh??

Lots of Kingie cutlets in the freezer?? Yum!

CHeerio

Roberta

Good sesh. I wish i lived up your way. Marlin , big snaps, kings, cobes, hoo, macks, longtail, the list is to long.

Have you fished the Windara yet off Bruns? Its a Good kingie spot.

Haven't tried Windara banks yet but we have been talking about doing an overnighter out there.

So many spots, so little time!! :ranting2:

Cheers,

Grant.

Sorry for the late reply. It's taken me a couple of days to get over the emotional trauma of getting your smug phone message :1badmood:

Some great fish JH and sounds like the trip out wide was worth the compressed vertebrae. Browndog's boat is a really sweet rig :thumbup:

Hopefully I might finally get to be able to go fishing soon and I'll show you both what a real AJ looks like. Have banana... willing to travel.:biggrin2:

Cheers, Slinky