Parra River Last Night

wannabefisho

Went to Parra River for a high tide run last night with one of my good friends

We walked away with 1 Jew, 1 Taylor and 2 keeper bream... all others were released for another day, we both lost a Jew each and I lost a good fish to the pylons around one of the nearby wharves- not sure of species but it dusted me very quickly (suspect big Bream or Flattie)

Jew went 60-65cm, Bream went 32 and 36cm and Taylor around 40-45cm- Jew and Taylor taken on squid and Bream all taken on Mullet strips, other fish returned to water taken on pillies and yakka strips

here's a few piccies.

post-12300-021142000 1285244484_thumb.jpg

post-12300-017550300 1285244505_thumb.jpg

post-12300-033879500 1285244524_thumb.jpg

We walked away with 1 Jew, 1 Taylor and 2 keeper bream... all others were released for another day, we both lost a Jew each and I lost a good fish to the pylons around one of the nearby wharves- not sure of species but it dusted me very quickly (suspect big Bream or Flattie)

Jew went 60-65cm, Bream went 32 and 36cm and Taylor around 40-45cm- Jew and Taylor taken on squid and Bream all taken on Mullet strips, other fish returned to water taken on pillies and yakka strips

here's a few piccies.

nice bag there m8 well done. :thumbup:

cheers paul

here's a few piccies.

Hi,

Just curious if u r going to eat them. They r from Parra River.

Cheers,

Phil

sounds like a good night, good luck if your gonna eat em tho :action-smiley-082: who knows they coulda swam up river from the harbour for the night

ive read some posts on here saying that some people ate fish from parra river n that they are ok, i think you can eat a certain amount

theres a big sign at wharf rd boat ramp, forgot what it said exacactly, but something along them lines anyway..........

Edited by greatwhitefin

Hi there,

Nice catch for a nights work!

I see some comments about not eating the fish out of the Parra river... two things:

1. My mum was raised in Parra and fondly remembers pulling 'large' jewfish out of the river on a very regular basis whenever they needed some food (this was depression era). Seems it was easy for a young girl to head down there and knock up a feed for the family!

2. On a recent trip to Vietnam, I saw farmed prawns being harvested. If you could have seen the water they were coming out of, you would never eat them again, and a 2010 Parra river Jewfish would seem absolutely pristine!

regards

Fryboy

here's a few piccies.

excellant mixed catch,mate be careful on eating them though :wacko: .parra river ermington there are signs up no fishing allowed there contaminated sad because the fish are there in big size and numbers.

pongrass18ft

To answer you all...

YES- I eat fish from Parramatta River and also from Lane Cove River on a semi-regular basis and have done so for quite a few years.

I love eating fresh fish esp Bream and Jew they are my 2 favourites, I dont fish anywhere near Ermington I only eat fish that are caught east of Gladesville and around thr mouth of the Parra/Lane Cove Rivers...

Edited by wannabefisho

• 1 month later...

There are many construction sites happeng along the Parramatta river at the moment. I was chatting to a friend the other day who is a construction manager and he tells me that the contamination is so thick and profound that they need to burn the dioxins in the soil before they reuse it as fill. I'll only keep fish past the Sydney heads.

Here are the scientific facts on harbour fish, so you can make up your mind on eating what and from where and how often.

http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/consumers/keeping-food-safe/special-care-foods/sydney-harbour-seafood/

Worth a read. Here is some of it.

Facts About Dioxins and Port Jackson (Sydney Harbour/Parramatta River)

1. What are dioxins?

Dioxins are a group of chlorinated chemicals that originate from industrial pollution or are generated in natural processes such as bush fires. They are chemically stable and can stay in the environment for a long time. Dioxins can accumulate in the body fat of animals and humans.

2. Where do dioxins come from?

Residues of dioxins in seafood caught in Sydney Harbour/Parramatta River are likely to have their sources in contaminated sediments on the bottom of Homebush Bay. Current levels are likely due to many years of industrial activities previously along those waterways.

On land, the main source of dioxin emission in Australia is through bushfires and burning of agricultural stubble.

3. What are the health risks associated with dioxins?

We are all exposed to very low levels of dioxin, mostly via the food we eat. At those low levels, there are no known health risks.

Long term high level exposure to dioxins can sometimes cause a range of ill effects, including reproductive disorders and cancer. However, as concluded in the Food Standards Australia New Zealand Risk Assessment report on seafood from Sydney Harbour, the health risk associated with consuming seafood from Sydney Harbour/Parramatta River is low for the average Australian consumer. The Government has closed the Harbour as a precautionary measure.

4. What if I've been eating fish from Sydney Harbour?

An increased health risk associated with dioxins only occurs from long term exposure to high levels of dioxin. It is unlikely that people consuming seafood from Port Jackson would have noticeable health effects from the seafood, even if the dietary advice below is occasionally exceeded (see How much can I eat?).

NSW Health advises people to contact their doctor if they are concerned about consumption of fish from Sydney Harbour/Parramatta River. The risk is considered low.

5. I fish for recreation and I want to eat the catch. How much can I eat?

An Expert Panel has advised the Government that people can continue to eat fish from Sydney Harbour and Parramatta River providing they follow strict dietary advice.

Dietary advice:

No seafood caught west of the Sydney Harbour Bridge should be eaten. You should release your catch.

For seafood caught east of the Sydney Harbour Bridge generally no more than 150 grams per month should be consumed.

Testing of popular species has allowed for more accurate dietary advice. The table below provides advice on the maximum consumption of specific species.

Table: Recommended maximum intake based on eating a single species caught east of the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

read it yourself do not want to exceed the post lenght.

Regards Saltrix

Edited by saltrix

On land, the main source of dioxin emission in Australia is through bushfires and burning of agricultural stubble.

Bushfires have been around for thousands of years and mostly a natural occurrence, and now it's a cause of dioxin poisoning in the waterways?

Oh how I love research/studies etc.

Bushfires have been around for thousands of years and mostly a natural occurrence, and now it's a cause of dioxin poisoning in the waterways?

Oh how I love research/studies etc.

Leo

The research says dioxin in the Parramatta river waterways is a result of Union Carbide chemical pollution.

The natural levels produced by bushfires is not a problem.

regards Saltrix

Yeh read that but why even bother mentioning bushfires as they're a natural occurring thing.

The government are the problem and big business, they allowed it to happen, wonder what their studies and research said back then haha.

As usual, we suffer as a result of their mismanagement.

Anyway, don't wanna get off subject anymore than we have, nice catches their Wannabefisho.