Beers On The Boat

streve

Hi Guys,

I'm sure im like a lot of you in the fact i like a beer while fishing. I will often have 3 or 4 beers in a 6hr fishing session, but after watching some TV of late it has occured to me that i might actually be over the limit at times.

I always drink in moderation on the boat as i have to drive home. I drink to enjoy, not to get drunk. But i am worried about being over the limit while fishing.

Is it cool for a skipper to drink on the boat if he is anchored up, not planning on moving any time soon? When i say skipper i mean owner driver of a pleasure craft, not a commercial craft.

What happens if you do get caught, can it affect your motor vehicle drivers licence?

1. Why do I need to watch my drinking when afloat?

When afloat your coordination, judgement, vision, balance and reaction time can decline up to three times faster when consuming alcohol. The boating environment - waves, motion, vibration, engine noise, weather, wind and spray – can multiply its effects.

In Australia and New Zealand over recent years, alcohol has been involved in one third of all boating fatalities. Everyone aboard needs to take care, because studies have shown that boat passengers are just as likely as skippers to be involved in incidents such as capsizing or falling overboard, as a result of drinking alcohol.

2. Who can be pulled over for a Random Breath Test on the water?

The skipper of a boat which is underway may be subject to a Random Breath Test (RBT). This applies to the person operating the boat and that means anyone steering or exercising control over the course or direction of a boat; in other words the skipper or designated driver. This includes the observer in a boat which is towing people as well as anyone being towed.

If your boat is moored, berthed or at anchor you won't be subject to an RBT, but the best advice is to remain under the legal limit, in case you need to move the boat.

So, if you are the skipper … you are responsible.

3. What are the limits for alcohol consumption while boating?

The alcohol limits when boating are:

• less than 0.02 for commercial vessel operators;
  • 0.00 for recreational vessel operators aged under 18 years;
  • less than 0.05 for recreational vessel operators over 18 years.

Be careful because heavy penalties apply for being caught driving a boat drunk.

Being drunk seriously lowers your chances of survival if you fall in the water.

If your boat is moored, berthed or at anchor you won't be subject to an RBT, but the best advice is to remain under the legal limit, in case you need to move the boat.

This is a key one that often gets overplayed. Fixing a dragging anchor, moving because a change in tide etc are often forgotten but can get you pinged once the anchor is off the bottom.

Certainly seen RBT's on the Harbour and Pittwater.

C.

Pretty sure everybody on the boat must be under .05. Never seen it enforced but it is the law

Doubt it mate, what about party cruises. On the TV show RBT they only ever RBT the person in control of the boat. I could be wrong but hope I'm not because I take the opportunity to have a few when I'm on a mates boat knowing (or assuming) that I can't get done for it.

Mick.

Yup, same alcohol limits apply on the water as they do for driving a vehicle, personally my rule on my boat is NO alcohol comes onboard.

As an exercise, have a few drinks and then go swim a few laps of an olympic sized pool, you'd be surprised how much is gets to you.

Yup, same alcohol limits apply on the water as they do for driving a vehicle, personally my rule on my boat is NO alcohol comes onboard.

As an exercise, have a few drinks and then go swim a few laps of an olympic sized pool, you'd be surprised how much is gets to you.

Yes when I was young and fit I was on a holiday and stayed in a hotel with a massive pool that had a bar in the middle of it. I sat at that swim up bar on the underwater pedestal for several hours drinking alcohol and talking to people from all over the world. When I decided to go back to the poolside I did a half dive off the pedestal and remember almost drowning as I performed a tumble underwater. I became very disorientated due to my non sober state and it was very scary. It was the longest swim back to the side of the pool!

I don't think the law includes passengers per se but the onus is on the skipper who is ultimately responsible if anything goes wrong. Remember that horrible fatal incident on the harbour a few years ago when several people died after the boat crashed. That skipper was charged with manslaughter of the 6 passengers that died. He failed to supervise his passengers. Note that anyone steering or exercising control over the course or direction of a vessel can be RBT'd - so do not hand over to a drunken mate even for a short time.

Pretend fisherman, I'm not sure what state you're in, but I will assume NSW for the time being :)

For the actual legislation go to http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/maintop/view/inforce/act+121+1998+cd+0+N

The part that is relevant for this post is Part 3, dealing with alcohol offences.

Check out Division 2 for specific Alcohol offences. These offences deal with Youth Range, Low Range, Mid range and High range (Just like drivers of cars, same readings). The key words are "operate a vessel".

operate a vessel includes:

(a) to determine or exercise control over the course or direction of the vessel or over the means of propulsion of the vessel (whether or not the vessel is underway), and

(B) to pilot the vessel, and

© in the case of the owner of the vessel, to cause or allow the vessel to be operated by someone else.

Section 20 is further definations,

operate a vessel includes:

(a) being towed by a vessel, whether on a water ski, aquaplane, paraflying device or other device, or

(B) act as observer on a vessel, for safety purposes, of any person being towed by the vessel, or

© supervise a juvenile operator of a motor vessel.

Also keep in mind 'vessel' includes water craft of any description used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on water.

Finally, under section 28:

(2) The master of a vessel must not permit a person to operate in any waters a vessel in the charge of the master if the master is aware, or has reasonable cause to believe, that the person is under the influence of alcohol or any other drug.

Have a read through the entire act if you have the time as it will dispell any myths that are around.

As for any affect on motor vehicle licences, to the best I my knowledge I don't believe it does affect it, as they are two different acts (unless of course for unpaid fines, the state debt recovery office may suspend any licneces etc). But a conviction for marine alcohol offences will affect your boat licence.

I hope this helps instead of adding to anyones confusion lol!!

Hey Pretend fisherman.

The simple answer is "not cool" and you do not drink if you are the skipper and, seriously consider not drinking if you are a passenger, simple as that.

The enjoyment in having a beer is when you reach landfall with your mates and reflect on the great day out.etc etc.

Reason being, I actual believe drink boating is far more dangerous than drink driving, if a differentiation can be made at all.

On the water there are a huge amount of variable environmental factors/influences that affect the craft, your decision making and problem solving abilities. The difference is with a car most people are driving constantly every day and have higher skills in relation to problem solving, most boaties do not have this as they are only occasional. Add alcohol and problems with weather, wind,, tide, navigation etc etc etc become instantly insurmountable for a lot of general boat users.

Hence the terrible tragedies we have seen on our waterways of late.

Also Don't get me wrong, you are legally entitled to have a lite or 2 and be under the limit and I have no probs with that. No offence to you is meant by this post, it is also for all the other fishraiders to think about.

The sea is a very very unforgiving master, do not under-estimate it ever, even in enclosed waters or landbased from the rocks.

Safe Boating PF and all FR's.

Regards

Tapper Tom.

I endorse Trapper Toms comments . The only beer I allow on my boat is Ginger so I get to fish alone

quite alot. Alcohol really gets to you very quickly on the water in summer.

At the end of a day a schooner/stubby or two tastes better than a six pack or two on the water.

DONT DRINK ON THE WATER SIMPLE AS THAT.

Just like a car anybody who drinks and drives,

deservers everything they throw at him.

and I love my grog.

but nothing comes onboard.

Do you mean drinks and drives the boat over .05 or drinks and drives AT ALL??

I enjoy a few beers when fishing, always in moderation, and at no time do i (nor my passengers) believe i have put myself or my crew in any danger relating to the beers.

I have been RBT'd 3 times on the water and never gone over the .05. Remember, the .05 is the legislated SAFE alcohol limit or it wouldn't be in place.

To those that choose not to drink, excellent work.

To those that enjoy a beer on board, good for you.

To those that go over the limit...as stated i hope they throw the book at you before you kill yourself or someone else.

A beer is a beer, it isn't evil lol...but the idiot who cant handle saying no after a couple...well thats a different story.

Just my 2 bob

thanks for all the replies.

I have now read through all the legislation and am of the belief i am doing nothing wrong.

If you choose to have no beer on your boat........thats fine............its your boat.

But if i want to have a beer every couple of hours, i dont think that is a bad thing either.

I was concerned that i might go over if i need to move the boat immediately after finishing a beer, but now realise the rules are like on the road where they will give that alcohol in your mouth time to settle.

I will keep having a beer while fishing, because a beer every couple of hours will not put me in an illegal situation.

I want to reiterate, i am not out there to get drunk, i am just one (as are my friends and family) who enjoys kicking back with a beer to relax.

Cheers

as an aside, a friend of mine who lives on the gold coast tells me at certain places (Tipplers?) they will rbt you when anchored and if you are over the limit they will book you. They take the position of "what if you had to move the boat?"

I have a beer or a glass of wine on the boat at night when anchored and i have a 48 foot Riviera. That is my choice and i agree that those who do not want to drink on their boat are simply exercising their right of free choice. If you drink over the limit whether in control of a car or motor bike or boat etc then maybe you should think about the possible consequences.

Anyway stay safe and catch the biggest and best fish that are out there.