Boat License

Dusky

Hi Raiders

Well, after 9 months of discussions & arguments with NSW Maritime, the Anti-discrimination Board, local politicians, doctors & boating schools I have my boat license at last. :1badmood:

Those of you who know me personally would know, I have a slight disability (1 hand & 1 foot). As I cannot hide this fact, I am continually discriminated against by many bureaucrats who from time to time, make my life difficult.

After passing my written test, I asked if I could then continue on to do the practical examination. I was told that there was more red tape that I would have to deal with (as opposed to any one else who could just go for it!) AS luck would have it my brother contacted 2 NSW State Parliamentarians who asked some difficult questions of Maritime.

Even so, I was still being asked to get letters or proof of my abilities. As luck would have it I bumped a really nice chap in Mt Druitt from Sea School Boating. Stuart contacted his boss who contacted Maritime & together with their assistance & Mr Ray Williams MP (Member for Hawksbury) along with his wonderful assistant Greta, they conceded that, should I be assessed by an independent assessor I would qualify for a license. :yahoo:

So, I went to the Nepean River with Stuart from Sea School & ran through all the assessment criteria & what would you know - I PASSED - - YEAH ME!!! :icon_peace:

Now that I have my boat - license (boat & fishing licenses) & soon a 4x4 to tow it I hope to see many fellow Raiders out on the water.

One VERY relieved & happy boatie :1boat:

Edited by Dusky

As the father of an (intellectually) disabled son, I feel your pain. Its nice to hear of a win for a change! It would be great if we didnt have to enlist all that political support to ensure whats right..

Great work

Fryboy

As the father of an (intellectually) disabled son, I feel your pain. Its nice to hear of a win for a change! It would be great if we didnt have to enlist all that political support to ensure whats right..

Great work

Fryboy

I hear your pain. My feelings exactly. I am a fighter & will not stand for any form of discrimination, I am currently looking for a postition with an organization who works with disadvantaged groups as that is where I was working a few years back & want to return to that arena.

Good on you Rex.Last time we meet i could tell how upset you were.Rex i have known you for many years working in the tyre industry is not easy work WHAT DISABILITY are you talking about.with your one hand you ran rings around most other workers.Again congrats see you on the water soon.You will be the legal one burning up the river.Cheers Stephen

I don't see what the problem was,there's a lot of people out there driving cars around with similar setbacks, a boat in my opinion is a lot easier to drive! I think that it only makes you go that little extra distance compared to the rest of us which in turn probably makes you a little better! Enjoy the water and the :1fishing1: mate!

Regards Jeff

Thank you fellow Raiders.

Yep I am stubborn & would not let something like this beat me! & yes I do have to do a little more to get things done or approved but as you said Jeff (& I hope its true) that makes me a little more cautious than most & perhaps better - we will see.

Well done man what a happy ending, shame it had to be so diffucult in the process.

Ive seen MANY people with 2 arms and 2 legs who shouldnt be allowed anywhere near any kind of machine, car, boat etc..

U my friend have done well! Im happy for you :thumbup:

Musty

Well done Rex,I know how you feel same

thing happened to my young bloke with his arm.

But like you he won't give up and says Dad

I have the bloody wood on them,when they ask

how big was the fish.

Cheers Mate and enjoy .

Regards Rick.

Edited by rickb

Well done mate,

No one should ever give up on anyone or push red tape and BS infront of you.

You and you alone know your capabilities and limitations.

Life goes by way too quick and to have someone dictate what you can and cant do to enjoy your life is totally wrong.

You will feel like a new man out on the water with not a care in the world.

I hope your licence and boat will bring you the freedom and happiness which you deserve.

Twin 1. :beersmile::beersmile:

Great result Rex,even though it has taken a disgraceful 9 months to achieve what is part of your birthright as an Australian.NSW public service culture heeds a bomb under it,maybe things will improve next year(but I doubt it).Anyway,at least you can put the rubbish behind you now and enjoy your fishing.Congratulations mate.

Cheers,

Dave.