Another Tweed Day

slinkymalinky

After the recent hot action out from the Tweed, today was a bit of a quiet one but still a fantastic day on the water with Browndog2 and a Gold Coast mate of mine, Paul.

Paul's previous fishing is limited and his biggest fish before today was a decent pan size. So I talked up the Tweed fish big time and was hoping to see him get stretched by a good king, AJ or Sambo.

I was also keen to see us boat some good fish in Jewhunter's absence so we could wipe the cocky smile off his face from besting my AJ record last week (albeit that Browndog then topped that only minutes later) :thumbup:

An early start saw us collecting Yakkas for bait at the sand pumping jetty... One broken rod and some dancing around to avoid some lifting waves and we had a full tank in pretty quick time. The run out to the reef we've been fishing was about 45 minutes into a small but uncomfortably short sea.

The gear was rigged, the baits dropped and true to form, Browndog hooked up almost straight away and pulled a nice 90+cm King... I dropped a Snapper on lighter gear and Paul was getting pretty keen by this stage. We thought we might be in for a good session.

It wasn't to be and the fishing all morning was very slow but an AJ for me kept me keen.

More importantly, Paul landed his first ever king... he was amazed that the biggest fish he'd ever caught was actually undersized. He also put a Trag Jew on deck which went a bit bigger again and WAS legal so he was pretty chuffed with it.

post-6175-036589100 1288431927_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile Browndog managed to drop 3 good fish including a horse that popped his 80lb leader. The language on board was as blue as the water. Clearly, BD doesn't have the same critical eye for banana selection as me so I'll try to remember one next time. :thumbdown:

Paul remains unconvinced about our assertion that the Sargent Baker he caught actually counted as minus one but we ended up by finding a patch of Trag Jew and putting a few more fish on deck up to around 3kg.

Browndog's Bar Crusher was a pleasure to fish out of as usual, even if I personally managed to bang my head on the same grab rail 3 times (I've got an egg on my forehead for my trouble) and bury a bait jig hook past the barb in my finger (I have a finger that's still hurting from my 'plier surgery' for my trouble).

A great day with great company and lots of banter even if the fishing was tough (but still enough for a good feed for all of us).

post-6175-074242100 1288431937_thumb.jpg

And as a final bonus for Paul, we carefully coached him on the proper way to hold fish out from your body for photos :074:

post-6175-008678600 1288431939_thumb.jpg

BEFORE

post-6175-091815200 1288432157_thumb.jpg

AFTER

Cheers, Slinky

Nice report Slinky.

It did sound like a tough day when we had a soothing ale together after you guys got back & I finished work.

I almost felt bad about pointing the bone at you because I couldn't make the trip! :tease:

Shame they didn't fire up.

Nice coaching of pic shots for Paul! He seems like a top bloke.

Cheers,

Grant.

After the recent hot action out from the Tweed, today was a bit of a quiet one but still a fantastic day on the water with Browndog2 and a Gold Coast mate of mine, Paul.

Paul's previous fishing is limited and his biggest fish before today was a decent pan size. So I talked up the Tweed fish big time and was hoping to see him get stretched by a good king, AJ or Sambo.

I was also keen to see us boat some good fish in Jewhunter's absence so we could wipe the cocky smile off his face from besting my AJ record last week (albeit that Browndog then topped that only minutes later) :thumbup:

An early start saw us collecting Yakkas for bait at the sand pumping jetty... One broken rod and some dancing around to avoid some lifting waves and we had a full tank in pretty quick time. The run out to the reef we've been fishing was about 45 minutes into a small but uncomfortably short sea.

The gear was rigged, the baits dropped and true to form, Browndog hooked up almost straight away and pulled a nice 90+cm King... I dropped a Snapper on lighter gear and Paul was getting pretty keen by this stage. We thought we might be in for a good session.

It wasn't to be and the fishing all morning was very slow but an AJ for me kept me keen.

More importantly, Paul landed his first ever king... he was amazed that the biggest fish he'd ever caught was actually undersized. He also put a Trag Jew on deck which went a bit bigger again and WAS legal so he was pretty chuffed with it.

Meanwhile Browndog managed to drop 3 good fish including a horse that popped his 80lb leader. The language on board was as blue as the water. Clearly, BD doesn't have the same critical eye for banana selection as me so I'll try to remember one next time. :thumbdown:

Paul remains unconvinced about our assertion that the Sargent Baker he caught actually counted as minus one but we ended up by finding a patch of Trag Jew and putting a few more fish on deck up to around 3kg.

Browndog's Bar Crusher was a pleasure to fish out of as usual, even if I personally managed to bang my head on the same grab rail 3 times (I've got an egg on my forehead for my trouble) and bury a bit jig hook past the barb in my finger (I have a finger that's still hurting from my 'plier surgery' for my trouble).

A great day with great company and lots of banter even if the fishing was tough (but still enough for a good feed for all of us).

And as a final bonus for Paul, we carefully coached him on the proper way to hold fish out from your body for photos :074:

BEFORE

AFTER

Cheers, Slinky

well done

Excellent report Slinky! :thumbup:

It had everything, drama, action, humour, pathos ...

Paul remains unconvinced about our assertion that the Sargent Baker he caught actually counted as minus one ...
:074: It's true, It's true! :074:
... I personally managed to bang my head on the same grab rail 3 times (I've got an egg on my forehead for my trouble) and bury a bit jig hook past the barb in my finger (I have a finger that's still hurting from my 'plier surgery' for my trouble).
:074::074::074: Luckily, I have the ability to laugh at other people's misfortune! :074:

Great catch guys and obviously a fun day out for you all. :thumbup:

Cheers

Peter

Sounds like a great time out with mates, Tony! Shame about the barb in the finger -sounds like another advocate for crimping the barbs on the hooks!! Still hurts going in, but nowhere near as bad, coming out!! :wacko:

Congrats on a top haul!!!

Roberta

a tough day eh...... bloody hell you guys are spoilt up there.... :074:

sounds like a good time was had and upgrading fishoes from pan size bread and butter species to some drag pulling ones is always a hoot...

congrats to paul an pitty the big sambos and kings were a bit shy eh.....

cheers.....steve......

• 1 month later...

Browndog's Bar Crusher was a pleasure to fish out of as usual, even if I personally managed to bang my head on the same grab rail 3 times (I've got an egg on my forehead for my trouble) and bury a bait jig hook past the barb in my finger (I have a finger that's still hurting from my 'plier surgery' for my trouble).

BEFORE

AFTER

Cheers, Slinky

it is generally a great day on the s.s. browndog even if the fish dont fire up

its always an adventure no matter what.