Unidentified Fish. Any Ideas?

vemanner

Question

Hey guys,

I caught this one a couple of nights ago. Really strange looking fish. I dont like to call anything animal ugly, but if you were gonna call anything ugly, it would be this slimy sucker!

I'm not even sure if it it a ray, as it didn't really have flaps. The only flaps are the small ones located on the tail. The rest of the fish was like a blob! It had a really puffy stomach too, which can be seen from the photo of its belly.

I caught it at night, bait fishing off the rocks. The depth the fish was caught in would be roughly 5-10 metres.

The following image is from above. the fish is on a rock, with the front of the fish at the top of the picture. The tail is not in view on this photo, but it would be at the bottom. At the top left you can see where I have hooked it, and the bait still on the hook.

photo2.jpg

This image is from underneath this fish. The tail is at the top of the photo, and the mouth and nostrils(???) at the bottom of the photo. You can also see its puffy mouth.

photo1.jpg

The following image is the fishes tail.

photo3.jpg

This is a close up of its eyes. It only has two, and beneath each eye is a funny discolored patch of lumps and bumps. Like i said, don't like to call any creature ugly but I'm glad my wife doesn't have eyes like that!

photo5.jpg

Any of you guys got an idea of what it is?

Thanks,

Marty

14 answers to this question

Legends!

Thats insane!

I had a good look for spines, but couldnt see any so at one point handled it! It was stuck between a couple of rocks and grabbing it was the only way to get it out! Luckily, i didnt zap me.

I guess thats why its best to always know exactly what you're dealing with before handling it.

I thought you may all like to read this post below. It talks about a bloke who got stung and had to go to hospital as a result. As you'll read, he was stung, went to the surface and then fainted.

http://wadivers.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=942

Thanks for the help guys. Stoked to say I've caught one now!

HANDLE WITH CARE! Can cause severe electric shock and paralysis.

My young daughter caught one in the mouth of the Hawksbury. had no idea what it was so just cut it of.

Suprised when we got home and looked it up. A week later a bloke walking on Avalon beach stepped on a

dead won and got shocked. Not coming in my boat! :thumbdown:

The way Electricity prices are going you might be better off taking it home and plugging your fridge into it :074:

:074: yeah wish i had of thought of that. If I had a mate around and knew better, I would have thrown it at him!

Make a hell of a wooopy cusion too!

Also, just read they grow up to 60cm (but usually not more than 40cm) and the one I caught would be easy over 60cm!

So i may have caught the IGFA world record numbfish and not even known it! :thumbup:

Its high voltage but low amps so will give u a good belt but not life threatening. Also, interstingly the voltage level drops with each time it sends out a shock and im not sure when its fully charged again! lol i know it all sounds stupid but i read information about it years ago after seeing a "throw anything u catch into your bucket" bloke fishing balmoral warf years ago.

As ugly as they are they are very interesting and ive caught a couple fouled hooked while fishing in botnay bay with plastics.

Never known anyone to actually cop the zap though. Good to hear u wernt a victim!

MUSTY

I stood on one a few weeks ago in about 20cm of water right next to the sand in spring cove, hurt like hell!

That was just a small one, cant imagine what a big one would feel like. Either way, last time i'll be wondering in the shallows without a second thought (although i always look out for the proper rays with barbs)