sliding snell ARRRRGGGGHHH

Shaggytrevally

Hey fellow fisho's i have read books, watched you tube and videos. for the life of me i cant tie a frigging sliding snell knott :mad3: . They keep just undoing!!!!!

HELP!!!!!!

CHeeers in advance. :thumbup:

I wish i could help.... im in the same damn boat. looked at animations you tube knot books the works and i still suck at them!!!!

I wish i could help.... im in the same damn boat. looked at animations you tube knot books the works and i still suck at them!!!!

if you can tie a snell to the shank of a hook it is the identical knot perfect tying a snell first also refered to as nail knot but are both the same you only need 5-6 wraps this is sufficient for the knot to work...

Hi,

My foolproof sliding snell rig involves tying a separate piece of mono off the eye of the first hook. Don't need Geoff Wilson for that one.

The Poacher

i agree with this one, i do the same, some times i use a little elastic band, lubricate n its easy to adjust the distance from the bottom hook, just make sure both hooks are ultra sharp for a definate hook up

I've spent far too long trying to tie a sliding snell with no success. I've used the pre rigged ones but found that the quality of the leaders leaves something to be desired. Now I just tie a 2 hook fixed rig. Much less fuss and works a treat.

Wouldnt the smell of the rubber put off fish? serious question. ive heard sun screen does, thats why i wash my hands after applying.

Hi Rafinx,

Like shaggytrevally, I too was frustrated with sliding snell,

I went to the locked snell & prefer the locked snell now.

haven't tried the rubber band yet. I dont think it will put the fish off. Ive seen people use

rubber bands through the eye sockets of yakka's

I dont go anywhere near sunscreen,petrol,oil or grease when Im fishing for the same reason bud.

Sliding snell rigs will end with lost fish and heart break... use a fixed snell rig, tied to suit your bait.

JG

Hi Everyone ,

Totally agree you will lose a lot of bigger fish due to line burn on the sliding snell , A fixed snell is better but should not be used on a straight shank hook as the eye of the hook will cut into your line under pressure . Tie on a fixed snell wear some glasses and do a test with some leader , you will see the snell fail at the eye every time . A snell should only be used on offset eye hooks .

Hope this helps .

Cheers Dogtooth...... :1fishing1: John..... :beersmile:

You can use a bent eye hook with the line running straight through the top hook, then bind tight with bait mate (the elasticised bait binder). That will let it slide under pressure. I too prefer the fixed snell. Be sure to get the fixed snell right though. I went through 2 versions and a few lost fish (coupla bigguns too) before getting it right. You need to finish then knot by pulling/tightening the line ABOVE the hook. Any knot or line failure resembling a pigs tail means the knot aint right. Sorry if you already know the snell, but it might help someone out there.

Snell both hooks so you dont need to worry about the bead. When the top hook slides down it will stop at the eye of the bottom hook without damaging the line or knot as the knot is below the eye.

When attaching the top hook, I use a separate lighter mono to perform the sliding snell attachment. Much easier to handle and much tidier too. Also only need 4-6 wraps.

Just a little tip when using a sliding knot, place a small bead between your two hooks. When the top hook gets a hit it will slide down and the bead will stop the eye of the hook ripping into your bottom knot.

Dave

Edited by spongy