Spotted Mackerel

Beaver

Hi Raiders

Decided to pop down the road at Manly Point last night with the :wife: and a few :beersmile: to chase some bream. Was fishing in around 2M of water and the water was a bit green looking. Around 30 mins later after no fish on the bait rod, I saw a few baitfish fleeing on the surface followed by a decent splash. Ran to my tackle box to look for a metal, managed to find a really old 20gm metal in the box, the only 1 in there. Tied it on asap and sent it out in the general direction i saw the splash a minute ago, first cast nothing, second cast ripped it in and came up tight, woo hoo, was thinking bonito or something until it turned and took a screaming run of around 100M in no time holy hell whats this i was thinking, i was on light gear 20lb braid and 20lb leader so had to take it easy if i were to see the fish, managed to get some line back and get it toward the ledge i was fishing, after a few more blistering runs the fish tired and got it in view when i thought WTF's that? Looks like a spotted mackerel? in manly? Im defo not in QLD that's for sure i was thinking, anyway got him up the ledge and looked of good size around 65cm. Seems a rare catch? Any one else encountered them? Guess anythings possible at the moment given the warm water pushing in close...

I know spanish are good eating, but anyone know if spotties are good on the tooth?

Apologies only had phone with me for pics.

Seems some good fish around atm, get out and get em!

Cheers

Beaver

post-3646-086218900 1296339802_thumb.jpg

post-3646-002154900 1296339824_thumb.jpg

Well done on the Spotty. One for the photo album for sure.

Believe it or not there are plenty of Spanish Mackeral getting about off Sydney beaches at the moment too. Taking one of them off Sydney would be awesome. I'm trying hard, but only getting bonito & kings. Hopefully my 30lb gear can handle one.

• 6 years later...
On 1/30/2011 at 9:03 PM, Spearer1 said:

Well done on the Spotty. One for the photo album for sure.

Believe it or not there are plenty of Spanish Mackeral getting about off Sydney beaches at the moment too. Taking one of them off Sydney would be awesome. I'm trying hard, but only getting bonito & kings. Hopefully my 30lb gear can handle one.

Hi Guys I caught a few Spanyids off Clovelly Point years ago,in the late 90s

Edited by DMG

On 31/01/2011 at 6:30 PM, david88 said:

wow great capture, we pulled a few striped tuna out of bait bustups this morning. its the first time iv seen them inside the harbour. are they common inside the heads?

Are you sure they werent frigate mackerel or mac tuna? Theres tonnes of those in the harbour at the moment. Look very similar but not as chunky.