Botany bay 30.1.2011

jim bream

Hi raiders yes not as good as last outing but still got a fair catch of fish the exact same spot but in early hours of the morning to get the run in tide it was tough with the wind moving the boat around and it being cold for the first time i was thinking of my warm bed and wanted to go home i think after so many years of bream fishing im starting to lose interest time will tell any way 23 fish a crab and 38cm snapper the boys also dropped 4 fish at the boat again poor judgment and no patience's all fish caught on chicken except whiting caught on beach worm.cheers Jim bream

post-6195-069205800 1296344738_thumb.jpg

post-6195-062975900 1296344778_thumb.jpg

That's a quality catch here Jim! :thumbup:

A "seafood feast" for sure.

... and it being cold for the first time i was thinking of my warm bed and wanted to go home i think after so many years of bream fishing im starting to lose interest ...

I think I understand what you're saying Jim. I sometimes feel the same way.

Cheers

Peter

Hey Jim

Top catch there buddy.

And don't they love the chicken breast. :thumbup::thumbup:

Was humbled and put onto it a few years back by my mates 8 year old son.

Brought it out in the boat with him, refused to use anything else and smashed Andrew and me with our nippers and all sorts of fangled baits and rigs.

One is never to old to learn, but boy it hurt AND he still pays out on us. :tease:

Cheers

Trapper Tom

Yiasoo jimmy,

Nice bag again.

I was out Saturday moring - obviously 5:20am start was too late to catch the rising tide.

I still finished up with 20 fish and 2 crabs but I moved spot several times.

They were not in the one spot - I think I just got there too late.

Again I had people fish VERY close to me where-ever I went - just about couldn't cast my gear.

Next time I'm gonna paint my boat fluoro pink so it isn't as obvious.....

The chook didn't work for me though this time.

I find it is hit'n'miss but when they want it, they don't want anything else.

Still, you gotta bring it just in case.

Did you get many bream on the beachworms?

Yiasoo jimmy,

Nice bag again.

I was out Saturday moring - obviously 5:20am start was too late to catch the rising tide.

Again I had people fish VERY close to me where-ever I went - just about couldn't cast my gear.

Hi Tony ye it was a nice bag but the disappointing thing was the wind i couldn't get out of the river so turned back two or three times when the wind finally dropped i got out to the top of the bay at 1.30 am which roughly gave me 4-5 hours which was ok next thing i couldn't find the exact spot moved 3 times and ye got it finally i had a splitting head ache and i was all over the place but i think the most impact was phosphorous in the water which im told affects the fishing in a negative way that basically sums it up i didn't have a good fishing trip that night the chicken seams to out do the yabbies and beach worms only problem the whiting wont take its only the bream and the snapper two fishing trips and the chicken just about caught all the bream . cheers Jim bream

Hi Tony ye it was a nice bag but the disappointing thing was the wind i couldn't get out of the river so turned back two or three times when the wind finally dropped i got out to the top of the bay at 1.30 am which roughly gave me 4-5 hours which was ok next thing i couldn't find the exact spot moved 3 times and ye got it finally i had a splitting head ache and i was all over the place but i think the most impact was phosphorous in the water which im told affects the fishing in a negative way that basically sums it up i didn't have a good fishing trip that night the chicken seams to out do the yabbies and beach worms only problem the whiting wont take its only the bream and the snapper two fishing trips and the chicken just about caught all the bream . cheers Jim bream

You went fishing with a big head-ache?

Wow - you're tough !

I bet you're not even scared of bindies....

And you did it in a strong breeze and at midnight?

I bet your wife irons your shirts - while you're wearing them...

Phosphorous is a well known jewie detractor but I'm unsure if anyone has had any bad experiences while fishing for bream.

How deep was the water ?

What was the barometer doing?

Tony

Tony a lot question marks there i really don't no what you are trying to say regarding phosphorus i don't much about it its just what people say negative fishing i was in 2.2 meters of water in weed that some were near your spot right i might have to follow you around to like every one else .

Tony a lot question marks there i really don't no what you are trying to say regarding phosphorus i don't much about it its just what people say negative fishing i was in 2.2 meters of water in weed that some were near your spot right i might have to follow you around to like every one else .

Good call jimmy , i will follow as well

Yiasoo jimmy,

Nice bag again.

Yiasoo Keflapod, I reckon pink will spook other boaters off & will suit my pink thongs, need a painter :074:

Yes I have fished with chicken before and found them top bait but only 1 in five time so Im surprised our mate Jim is smashing them with chook fillets, but hey well done Jim

Edited by Groper

Yiasoo Keflapod, I reckon pink will spook other boaters off & will suit my pink thongs, need a painter :074:

Yes I have fished with chicken before and found them top bait but only 1 in five time so Im surprised our mate Jim is smashing them with chook fillets, but hey well done Jim

Groper ,If the chicken is prepared properly it will out fish any bait , dead or alive

Groper ,If the chicken is prepared properly it will out fish any bait , dead or alive

not doubting it now that I know and Jim didnt know as well but we learn every day, I just bought some for my next trip.

Can you tell me how to prepare them.

cheers Basil

Good call jimmy , i will follow as well

Now listen you guys, if you start following me I'm gonna buy a pair of 'Groper Special' pink thongs too (the type for your feet) or maybe I should buy the 'other' type of pink thong and put IT on as well. That'll guarantee to keep you guys away....

You see bcos I fish during gentlemen's hours, I'm a follow-able target and bcos my boat looks like it came out of a batman movie, it can be seen across the bay...

Now the chook ALWAYS gets eaten - trouble is it's soft and small fish have a field day. You either get a good bream or the bait disappears in 10 minutes.

You rarely bring the bait back untouched. If you do, change spot... good spots always have some small fish as well as good ones, and stingrays, banjos, toads, catfish, little snapper, etc....

As for the phosphorus - I have been told by Jewie fishermen that it affects jewies negatively.

I have not heard any bream fishos say it has affected them negatively (or positively).

So, I reckon if you had phosphorescence and you came away with a catch like that, it must not make too much difference to the bream, right?

Unless the phosporescence occured in spot 'A' where no fish were caught and it didn't happen in spot 'B' where you did catch the fish...

So what actually happened Jimmy ?

<BR>Interesting reading jimmy and tony....2.15 am and can't sleep because of the dam heat and thank god there's FISHRAIDER to kill some time anyway the old greeks say phosphorus is generally no good for fishing but you can only go with what you experience, i personally don't do that well offshore on larger fish when there's phosphorus but that might explain why theres more squid come out to play. I don't have a problem with the bream at night but failed to land any snapper at night when there's phosphorus. Take note on how heavy is the phosphorus and what your result is at the end of your fishing trip. I have been noticing this for years now because when i see phosporus my uncle's words come to me..... i went to greece when i was 12 years old for a year and i refused to go to school so i fished with my uncle which he was a proffessional fisherman and when he saw alot of phosphorus... he would go off swearing the greek way. These days he owns three large fishing vessels which his kids captain them with deckies...they target black marlin at night and doing very well at it...which there is a big demand in europe for them. The Italians taught the greeks how to get them at night when they occupied the dodecanisa islands in world war 2. Seen how they did it in 2004 but can't use that system here for recreational fishing because it's illegal. Gone of the subject a bit but i hope this is some interesting reading for some. cheers guys cg.

Hi CG,

Very interesting experience there.

I think the marlin they get in the deep water are broadbill swords.

There are some canyons between Lesbos (my folk's home island) and the coast of Turkey.

Some greeks like to spin tall stories of boats that fish these waters and don't come back.

They blame the Turks (of course) but what's the bet that the Turks have similar stories about the Greeks.....

There was a guy who posted a report here about some big jewies he caught in the harbour during new years fireworks.

He stated unequivocally that the hits came when the fireworks was in full swing because the jewies can see their targets well.

I wonder how different the phosphorescence is in the water compared to the fireworks...

Very interesting topic...

Now listen you guys, if you start following me I'm gonna buy a pair of 'Groper Special' pink thongs too (the type for your feet) or maybe I should buy the 'other' type of pink thong and put IT on as well. That'll guarantee to keep you guys away....

You see bcos I fish during gentlemen's hours, I'm a follow-able target and bcos my boat looks like it came out of a batman movie, it can be seen across the bay...

Now the chook ALWAYS gets eaten - trouble is it's soft and small fish have a field day. You either get a good bream or the bait disappears in 10 minutes.

You rarely bring the bait back untouched. If you do, change spot... good spots always have some small fish as well as good ones, and stingrays, banjos, toads, catfish, little snapper, etc....

As for the phosphorus - I have been told by Jewie fishermen that it affects jewies negatively.

I have not heard any bream fishos say it has affected them negatively (or positively).

So, I reckon if you had phosphorescence and you came away with a catch like that, it must not make too much difference to the bream, right?

Unless the phosporescence occured in spot 'A' where no fish were caught and it didn't happen in spot 'B' where you did catch the fish...

Now Tony from what have read phosphorus reduces the oxygen in the water work the rest out its not that hard google it you ll find all the information you need .Ive had the older generation tell for years phosphorus no good boy and never asked why they do no some thing don't they . cheers jimmy

Now Tony from what have read phosphorus reduces the oxygen in the water work the rest out its not that hard google it you ll find all the information you need .Ive had the older generation tell for years phosphorus no good boy and never asked why they do no some thing don't they . cheers jimmy

Thanks for that info Jimmy.

I'm intrigued so I will research it.

If the dynoflagellates do indeed take up oxygen, I would like to find out how much they take. Is it a significant amount such that fish can't breathe ? Or is it a case of the disturbance in the water (caused by bigger fish) making the micro-organisms light up the water so that they can expose smaller fish (ie prey) to the predatory fish and thus detract attention from themselves ?

I'm curious and I'll do some reading - and I'll share any interesting info with you.

Thanks for the inspiration...

Tony

Hey Keflapod,

Along time off the seen for me buts It's good to see your on to the Chicken big time now, a lot cheaper then worms so when did you finnally convert, Just curious was it our conversation a year or so ago? (Issa)

Thanks for that info Jimmy.

I'm intrigued so I will research it.

If the dynoflagellates do indeed take up oxygen, I would like to find out how much they take. Is it a significant amount such that fish can't breathe ? Or is it a case of the disturbance in the water (caused by bigger fish) making the micro-organisms light up the water so that they can expose smaller fish (ie prey) to the predatory fish and thus detract attention from themselves ?

I'm curious and I'll do some reading - and I'll share any interesting info with you.

Thanks for the inspiration...

Tony

You guys are going to hate me , i went to St georges basin on the weekend and got good bream at night in water depth of half a meter . We had the motor up as we walked the boat in . We got bream over a kilo and didnt need to net the fish as the phosphorus was so bright you could see them . We would bait our lines after a fish and cast again in the same spot to hook in within seconds , it didnt scare the fish at all .All im saying is that i have never had any trouble with it. Cheers