Cracker Day off Sydney 29.01.11

Tackle Junkie

Hi Guys / Girls,

We went out off Sydney on Sat 29/1/11 and headed to Browns Mountain.

We are all new to heading wide as this is only the 6th trip in the new boat and the second to the shelf etc.

We started out of Roseville and headed to Browns - we got there at 10:30 am as we trolled the whole way as it was a bit bumpier than I thought it would be - either way we got there no problems at all. About 20mins after arriving at Browns the long rigger and short corner go off together. Alot of excited for four blokes new to game fishing but we landed 2 cracker wahoo - well cracker for us - i am not sure what is good and what is not but they fought hard but were landed no problem.

We trolled around for a bit and hard no more luck so headed back in where the water looked better (browns was 23.8) and we hit 25.3 in 95 fathoms.

As we hit the warm water - rigger goes off and we drop something that did not hook up ( I like to think it was a marlin but we never will know).

We re set the rigger and head in another few minutes and the other rigger goes off and we hook a marlin this time for sure. We played it for a while (20mins or so) and we release the lure from what I assume was a Striped Marlin.

We keep trolling the same area but no more hits. We keep heading home and thought we were done for day when shotgun goes off only 6 klms outside the heads and we land my new PB dollie of over 10Kgs.

This only the second time that we have been to shelf (2 weekends in a row) and we are loving it.

I will try to get some more Marlin shots once i get back into work on Mon/ Tues.

Here are some pics anyway - I have never had fishing this good off sydney - but that maybe because i never had the confidence in the old boat to head to Browns etc. Pretty happy though as we landed our first ever Marlin last weekend.

Cheers,

Josh

post-6714-059368800 1296368388_thumb.jpg

post-6714-092974700 1296368419_thumb.jpg

post-6714-020459100 1296368450_thumb.jpg

good fish champ and sounds like a cracker day

hope you keep the trend going

yeh it is a nice wahoo not the biggest but still one most would be proud of

that mahi mahi looks skinny but still you have to love them in the water and the coulors they put on

as for the marlin i would not be supprised at all if the was a little Black marlin but is hard to tell from that one pic

http://www.solitaryislandsgamefishingclub.com/the-fish-we-chase.html

what a day josh i wish i had the fuel copacity to go to browns and game fishing is all i can think off now it must be the reel screeming that has me hooked

cheers gary

Thanks Gary,

I am new to all this - but i love it. The first time out for me was last saturday and i got smoked on 15kg by a a much bigger Marlin and Ping!!.

Now i want to try to catch one that size.

I recently got a new boat and the prerequisite non negotiable was a 4 stroke and a big fuel tank.

Cheers,

Josh

Hi Guys / Girls,

We went out off Sydney on Sat 29/1/11 and headed to Browns Mountain.

We are all new to heading wide as this is only the 6th trip in the new boat and the second to the shelf etc.

We started out of Roseville and headed to Browns - we got there at 10:30 am as we trolled the whole way as it was a bit bumpier than I thought it would be - either way we got there no problems at all. About 20mins after arriving at Browns the long rigger and short corner go off together. Alot of excited for four blokes new to game fishing but we landed 2 cracker wahoo - well cracker for us - i am not sure what is good and what is not but they fought hard but were landed no problem.

We trolled around for a bit and hard no more luck so headed back in where the water looked better (browns was 23.8) and we hit 25.3 in 95 fathoms.

As we hit the warm water - rigger goes off and we drop something that did not hook up ( I like to think it was a marlin but we never will know).

We re set the rigger and head in another few minutes and the other rigger goes off and we hook a marlin this time for sure. We played it for a while (20mins or so) and we release the lure from what I assume was a Striped Marlin.

We keep trolling the same area but no more hits. We keep heading home and thought we were done for day when shotgun goes off only 6 klms outside the heads and we land my new PB dollie of over 10Kgs.

This only the second time that we have been to shelf (2 weekends in a row) and we are loving it.

I will try to get some more Marlin shots once i get back into work on Mon/ Tues.

Here are some pics anyway - I have never had fishing this good off sydney - but that maybe because i never had the confidence in the old boat to head to Browns etc. Pretty happy though as we landed our first ever Marlin last weekend.

Cheers,

Josh

post-6714-059368800 1296368388_thumb.jpg

post-6714-092974700 1296368419_thumb.jpg

post-6714-020459100 1296368450_thumb.jpg

Excellant catch there and good photos,a day out like that will be well remembered :yahoo: .chris.

Thanks Gary,

I am new to all this - but i love it. The first time out for me was last saturday and i got smoked on 15kg by a a much bigger Marlin and Ping!!.

Now i want to try to catch one that size.

I recently got a new boat and the prerequisite non negotiable was a 4 stroke and a big fuel tank.

Cheers,

Josh

After reading your report, I think i can't resist to go that wide. Just wondering how far is the Brown Mountains from Rose Bay Boat Ramp? What fuel capacity is required? I got Stacer 525 and the previous owner told me it got 100lt tank under the deck (i'm not sure if he is telling me the truth). I also got a 20lt spare filled in the container. Would that me enuff?

Would u mind to give me the coordinates for brown mountains? I'm using navionics download from apple store which i use it everytime when i'm in water.

I'm new in boating and it would be great if u can guide me to Brown Mountains on your next trip so i can learn some boating techniques from u.

Cheers macmac

Edited by macmac

Josh..well done champ. Nice dollie and some super tasty wahoo. Gotta love a day like that. And I would say judging by the big dorsal fin on that marlin that it is a stripe. Nice work releasing it. Karma will reward you with lots more.

After reading your report, I think i can't resist to go that wide. Just wondering how far is the Brown Mountains from Rose Bay Boat Ramp? What fuel capacity is required? I got Stacer 525 and the previous owner told me it got 100lt tank under the deck (i'm not sure if he is telling me the truth). I also got a 20lt spare filled in the container. Would that me enuff?

Would u mind to give me the coordinates for brown mountains? I'm using navionics download from apple store which i use it everytime when i'm in water.

I'm new in boating and it would be great if u can guide me to Brown Mountains on your next trip so i can learn some boating techniques from u.

Cheers macmac

Hi MacMac

What size motor have you got. There is no need to go to browns at the moment as the fish are in close, in 70 fathoms/140 mts of water as the current is pushing the warm water in close. Browns Co ords are 34.02.200 151.39.500.

Cheers Silvo - Bentstik

Cheers macmac

Depends on the economy of your engine.

If I were you I would get an idea of your range by using the trip meter on your gps on shorter trips.

And remember that litres per km will vary significantly depending on your speed and water conditions.

Even then you will want to have a massive safety factor.

I always plan to arrive home with about 50 litres still left.

Josh!!! Awesome report man! Double hook-up on wahoo off Sydney....PLUS a marlin.

U Guys are on a roll! :thumbup: That new boat is raising some great fish. :thumbup:

Are we on for a sessiom soon????? :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Wacko.

Mate - I am gutted that i will be off the water for a couple of weeks as I have some work committments but after that I will be hitting the water pretty hard again.

We will have to do that fish hey!!!

Cheers,

Josh

Cheers macmac

Hi mate,

I agree completely what the other guys have said - start heading out a little further each time and get a feel for the boat - you wont need to get to Browns Mountain to catch big fish.

I am new to game fishing but not boating and fishing - always stay within your limits and what you feel comfortable with. Try heading out the FAD off Sydney Harbour then head out wider as you are comfortable. I think I have been lucky the last couple of weeks - but we simply put the hours in.

Goodluck mate and enjoy it.

Cheers,

Josh

what a great day Josh! Well done.

If you don't mind me asking what lure did the damage on the Mahi Mahi?

Hi mate,

The Dollie was caught on a Hollowpoint Small Magnum in Red and Black.

Last week i landed one slightly smaller on a Lumo Pakula cockroach so I guess that if they are around you should have a good chance on most lures.

Cheers,

Josh

Fantastic result. Can I ask two questions, what was your speed and type of lure for the dollies and wahoo?

Thanks

From the syd harbour fad what distance do you need to travel to get to 140m or better water for marlin etc?

I get to syd harbour fad pretty comfortable and can make it to longy and back to roseville boat ramp with plenty room in the tank. How far should I travel past syd harbour fad?

Want to get into some of these good fish while water is good and pretty new to getting wide. Without marks to work off there is a lot of water to cover !!!