Need A Jewfish Rig - Advice ?

FatBoy

After my recent experience with a monster jew at Flint and Steel i've decided i really need to chase these suckers !! :1naughty:

I was using an old (ie - 20 year old !!) Ugly Stick with a Daiwa egg beater. My girlfriend has claimed that one as she's no longer happy "just" fishing light for bream and flatties... The upside is she says she'll buy me a new rod and reel for my birthday, so what should i go for ??

The guy at my local place recommended a nice 7ft Ugly Stick and a large Penn egg beater. They have a 25% off sale until Sunday so i'm looking at $270 for both, he'll whack some line in for that price too...

Any recommendations ?? Does this sound like a good set up ?? My old Ugly Stick is about 6ft and considerably thicker than the one that was recommended...

Any advice appreciated, thanks guys... :thumbup:

Cheers,

Paul...

Guest Jocool

Fat...If you local is who I think it is... :1naughty: ...they know what they are talking about. Having said that, check if the reel he is showing you has infinite anti-reverse. I like having that feature.

And don't let them put cheap line on there. Pay a little more if you have to to get a quality line.

After my recent experience with a monster jew at Flint and Steel i've decided i really need to chase these suckers !!  :1naughty:

I was using an old (ie - 20 year old !!) Ugly Stick with a Daiwa egg beater. My girlfriend has claimed that one as she's no longer happy "just" fishing light for bream and flatties... The upside is she says she'll buy me a new rod and reel for my birthday, so what should i go for ??

The guy at my local place recommended a nice 7ft Ugly Stick and a large Penn egg beater. They have a 25% off sale until Sunday so i'm looking at $270 for both, he'll whack some line in for that price too...

Any recommendations ?? Does this sound like a good set up ?? My old Ugly Stick is about 6ft and considerably thicker than the one that was recommended...

Any advice appreciated, thanks guys...  :thumbup:

Cheers,

Paul...

49610[/snapback]

fatboy its up to you what you buy i have shimano baitrunners the 6500 and 4500 on wilson live fibre 6.6ft rods they are superb my friend has had the same 6500 for 11 years works like new diawa make good reels to check the gearing a 25kg will destroy a reel believe me ive seen it happen ....grrrr..why go to all the trouble to catch it and lose it due to gear malfunction im not saying spend a fortune but be wary ....goodluck

yeah baitrunners are the goods. haven't had much experience with penn but they're said to be solid bits of kit.

have you thought about an overhead? i feel they are a little bit better fishing for the larger fish? i have a trinidad that i fish alongside baitrunners when baitfishing for jew and find that the OH has that little bit more power thats nice when fishing big baits in fast water and when fighting larger quarry... still has a freespool function with the ratchet, loud too.. the faster retrieve speed also comes in handy when fish seem to be coming your way or when chasing slack line fishing long leaders trying to set the hook.

haven't had a problem with the btr's though. :tease:

i guess its personal preference really?

all the outfits suggested will do the job, it all depends on what your budget is but i feel it is definately worth paying a bit more to get quality gear. Penn has a good reputation but something to keep in mind is that Shimano has a 10 YEAR warranty on all their range :thumbup:

i tend to agree with keenist on the overheads. the tide rages in the hawkesbury most of the time so u need a beefy outfit just to support the sinker weight!! i fish three overheads(2 shimanos and an Okuma(brilliant value for money)) and 1 threadline outfit.

if ur not confident with overheads i can thoroughly recommend the Shimano Tekota- it has a level wind system to make life easy and is great value. If its a spinning reel u want, then the 6500 baitrunner is my pick.

hope this helps

anthony...

well im still a great fan of an alvy on the boat for big jewies as you have great control, and can store alot of line, however in saying that the last 30lb jewie i caught was on a cheap eggbeater with the backwind stuck to on... hehehe...

However if you have a decent rod and reel of any type you should be ok. Just use a large hook probably more important a size 7 or 8 as you would miss more big jewies by using small hooks !!!

Hope this helps

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys, i didn't realise a few more of you had posted !! :wacko:

I got my new rod yesterday (a couple of weeks early, yay !!) and ended up with a Pflueger overhead combo. The rod is 6'6" and reel is a overhead G30.

The fella at the aforementioned shop was great and did a great price so i'm happy - the next silly question is if i'm hunting jewies what kind of line (weight and brands ??) should i be using ??

Cheers,

Paul...

Thanks guys, i didn't realise a few more of you had posted !!  :wacko:

I got my new rod yesterday (a couple of weeks early, yay !!) and ended up with a Pflueger overhead combo. The rod is 6'6" and reel is a overhead G30.

The fella at the aforementioned shop was great and did a great price so i'm happy - the next silly question is if i'm hunting jewies what kind of line (weight and brands ??) should i be using ??

Cheers,

Paul...

59648[/snapback]

Paul,

I'm assuming you're fishing out of a boat, cos from the shore you'll have alot of trouble casting out the weight and baits needed for jew using the 6'6" rod.

From the shore I use a 12ft beach rod... I've always used overheads, but recently purchased a Baitrunner 4500 spinning reel as casting heavy weights with an overhead, I wasn't getting the distance I wanted.

Line in the 30lb region should be fine for jew. Some fishermen prefer Mono as it has more stretch than Braid. But nowdays more and more people are switching over to Braid, or thermally fused braid, just ensure you use a long mono leader (don't be afraid to use up to a few metres), that will give it a bit of stretch.

I like the Platil Millenium Braid, also Tuf Line XP is good too, but I would probably prefer the Platil as its a bit thicker. Having line thats a bit thicker will be better for your overhead too, as it will help stop the line digging into itself when you are winding under tension.

Chris

Joe, it was down on The Horsley Drive - was that who you were thinking ?? They seemed pretty switched on i must admit...

Thanks for the tip, i'll check...  :1naughty:

49622[/snapback]

that same place is having a big Shimano sale, so you can pick up a baitrunner for cheap :1naughty:

If you're fishing Juno/F&S then strong current is a big issue as if you're baits aren't on the bottom you are wasting your time. The thinner diameter of braid makes it a must.

Guest Jocool
Iain, isnt that what big sinkers would be for?

59881[/snapback]

Yes...But the smaller cross section of line that braid offers, stops it bellowing in the run of the water and keeps you in contact with your bait.

I often wonder how we ever managed to catch Jews at all before all this modern technology came along :biggrin2:

Whether you use braid or mono at Flint you will need some big leads to hold a decent bait bait down. Make sure you have a bunch of 8 ounce snapper leads cause at times you will need 2 of them with a decent bait.

• 2 weeks later...

A springer is a length of material (anything from cane thru plastic to fibreglass) that is mounted standing up from the gunnles or transom with a clip or a slit in it that can be used to hold the line.

It keeps handlines clear of the side & stops the current pulling line of the handcaster. Some people lock the line into them hard enough to hook fish & other just lightly so when a fish bumps the bait it releases the line. There are many schools of thought on the best length / type & set up. They are very handy & I used cane about half a meter in length with the line in a split in the end & set the line tightly in the end so there was enough pressure to hook fish. Everyone has their own method though & whichever method suits you is the "right" one :biggrin2: