Jewfish - Skill Or Luck ?

PANZERWAFFEN

G'day people. I've noticed, especially from reading the discussions here that some folk seem to have caught heaps of jewfish, but no big ones, while others haven't caught many yet have scored one or more over 24kg ( decent size ). Some have worked long and hard to get their first jewie while others have gone out and caught one on their first outing, some folk have even scored a 20 kilo plus fish on their very first try.

So how much of this can we put down to skill and how much to pot luck ? :tease:

G'day people. I've noticed, especially from reading the discussions here that some folk seem to have caught heaps of jewfish, but no big ones, while others haven't caught many yet have scored one or more over 24kg ( decent size ). Some have worked long and hard to get their first jewie while others have gone out and caught one on their first outing, some folk have even scored a 20 kilo plus fish on their very first try.

So how much of this can we put down to skill and how much to pot luck ? :tease:

50089[/snapback]

I think it depends on how you determine what skill is. the skill with jewfish is all about finding them. JMHO

Guest bluecod

:1welcomeani: to the site Panzerwaffen.

Its all pure AR$E :074::074:

I've put in countless hours chasing big jew in the well known Hawkesbury haunts, Northern suburb beaches and mid-north coast beaches and have scored zip. yet when banging in hairtail one after the other landed a 10lb schoolie.

Figure this one out - when chasing marlin for the first time, ended up with a very successful trip [3].

In all seriousness, I put it down to a high degree of skill IF you are catching them consistently - the first one or three I put down to luck - after that I think you start to wake up to the pattern required to do well on them.

I think that if you are targeting jews and you catch them, no matter what size its skill. But if you are targeting something totaly different and you catch a jew its dumb luck. Size shouldnt matter as some guy fish waterways that are small and would at the best times only hole 10 to 15kg jew's at best.

Just my opinion.

Put it down to both i think...

Skill in going to the beaches the day before and seeing where you are going to fish... and then making sure you have some nice bait...

Luck is getting one, i think the skill is in the preparation personally....

Wayne

i can only go on my experience ofcourse....

for 5 years not one jewfish like alot of other people, then i caught one and wanted more i was addicted to chasing them...

there is skill in many areas as over the proceeding years have gathered info fished in different ways different baits you name it but targeting jewfish.

so much of how i actually fish one would say is not the norm and where i catch alot is not usually a hotspot for jewfish smiths creek, jerusalem bay and lion island have been where i have caght them recently but i did target them. Have taken two people out in the last ten trips and they have caught there first even my 10 year old daughter caught one and probably a total of 18 jewfish in these trips between 4kg and 15 kg. With 2 trips catching nothing.

i am still learning, as i have only fished the hawkesbury the last 4 years and have looked and tested spots that i think look good, i hate fishing juno point and flint and steel!!

Before moving to gosford i fished port hacking and found a spot there that i would catch at least one jewie any night of the year (i promise you this is true) i am not really tryiing to big note myself but point out that if you put the effort in and get the right advice you will and can catch them regularly

I'd go along with Jethro and Chris's comments.

A famous golfer, Gary Player I think it was, once said;

"the more I practice the luckier I get"

Pukk'

50149[/snapback]

Thats the quote I was looking for......

QUOTE(Pukka @ Jun 1 2005, 11:16 AM)

I'd go along with Jethro and Chris's comments.

A famous golfer, Gary Player I think it was, once said;

"the more I practice the luckier I get"

Pukk'

this sums it up for me !!!! :1clap::1clap:

Its like everything else the more you work at it the better the results. You always have a bit of luck come into it when your fishing, we all get a lucky break at times but to be consistent takes a bit of skill & effort.

Here's a question for you - I once caught a 7 kilo Jew on a Yo Zuri squid jig :biggrin2: Was it luck or my skill that kept the prongs in his lip :1prop::074:

however you just reminded me i caught a hairtail like that once (true story) and i remember saying to myself now that was bloody lucky. It was a crap night about 3 years ago on a wharf in pittwater southerly, rain and a hairtail on a squid jig..go figure

i believe you make your own luck and pretty much agree with Pukka's saying :thumbup:

one point i can add though is i believe to catch Jew CONSISTENTLY (especially quality fish) you must target them and forget about having "bream line" out at the same time because u can bet that Murphy's Law will apply :hitsfan:

anthony...

:1fishing1: well guys i agree with most of you i think personally first you have to find the right area they would frequent secondly the bait must be appealing enough to attract the fishs attention eg noise /color /smell/ ive got jewies on 4mth old yellow tail with freezer burn so the fresh is best thought may not always be the case and last of all the patience i have fished many a time the whole weekend friday nite to sunday morn and have had success on many occasions thru the tides but i think a bit of skill plays a major part in big jew but a few things happen the boat comes alive where on and you pull the hook out or he drops the bait or when youre about to gaff him and he dives for the motor... bust off or my favorite is when youre getting a burnt up from a hand line try it ... all this i believe is your learning curve i made a decision ..about 5yrs ago to chase jew im still learning every trip...but their my secrets hope you enjoy pics Edited by moonlitecreeper

you must target them and forget about having "bream line" out at the same time

I agree 100% with that. I have had plenty of Jews especially at Juno Point & Gunyah munch a bream bait when I have slipped a line out to get a feed of the bream that have been munching my jew baits.

Big hooks - big baits & stick at it.

patience,big baits, big hooks, good spot that you have caught one before or know have been caught, fishing between 1m and 2m off bottom when in a boat, jigging bait up and down very slowly at night, try putting a starlight near hook as if targeting hairtail but not on the jewie rig one next to it at same depth(this is how i got my last one targeting hairtail not sure yet if it helped but i definately got more bites than if i had no starlight in the dead of night in cowan area still testing a bit and refining will keep you posted iff interested)if fishing multiple rods different baits i have had great success with garfish by the way and most of all if you are catching crap dont fall into that feeling of its probably a stingray and not treating the fight seriously i wonder how many big jew have been lost when people figured its probably only a stingray and not played the fish properly.

well thats enough for now from me throughout this thread there are plenty of tips etc and i hope this shows the extent that some people actually go to to target jewfish, thats why they may get upset a little when people suggest its all luck and for the people that would like to catch one or more why not try some of the tips etc, it is an even better feeling knowing that you can catch them rather than thinking ill never get one !!!

Tim