Hairtail

bust-off

hey just wanted to know if any one here could help me out on how to catch these weird looking guys... I have heard that they come on in the colder mounths and are good eating as well. Were should i try for them and what techniques should I use to do so... I will be doing this landbased

for some reason I just got intrested in them lol so any help with this will be much appreciated

Thanks

Jason

hey just wanted to know if any one here could help me out on how to catch these weird looking guys... I have heard that they come on in the colder mounths and are good eating as well. Were should i try for them and what techniques should I use to do so... I will be doing this landbased

for some reason I just got intrested in them lol so any help with this will be much appreciated

Thanks

Jason

They are a MYTH... :074: they dont exist! Many raiders spend hundreds of hours combined each winter for ZILCH reports on these buggers. Stay home and keep warm mate.

But seriously, good luck. Anyone who puts in the effort and actually lands a couple deserves it 110%

If your land based the retaining wall at Illawong bay just before Akuna Bay marina/boat ramp in the Kuringai Chase National Park is probably your best option. Make sure u employ a glow stick down near ur ganged pilchard, red seems to work well for sum reason. Good luck!

Musty

They are not a myth, but they are had to catch..Jerusalem Bay or cottage pont is a good place to start in the Hawksberry..Do your homework and present fresh baits.. when they are on you should get one..

hi bustoff when the hairtail are on there on and when ther not ther not but saying that a couple of years ago we got 110 on the boat in 6 hrs and the other boat got 100 all but a few went back my personal best fish is 8 foot 2 inches i only fish waratah bay fish with ganged pillies or livies

Hi Mate,

we got one 1.8M long off the cliffs at Vaucluse in the late 80's wilst we we Tailor fishing. Ganged pilly down 6M under the bobby cork.

No reason they wouldn't still be around there.

Also heard of plenty off clifton gardens in the past . May be best to wait for a westerly and use a balloon rig to get it out there.

Good thing about landbased is ...

provided you are planning to thaw out for a while in the sun in the morning...

you can get stuck into the hairtail antidote OP rum!

Just remember with hairtail...if it looks too miserable to go out...thats you best chance!

or am I just being a sadist setting you up for a cold miserable night.

Only way to find out is to give it a go,

Best of luck :biggrin2:

Best of luck mate

you could try walking north around the point from apple tree bay to this wharf sorta thing and cast out towards the centre [big drop off ]

and thank god its cold last time walking around the track met an 8ft black snake on dusk

i believe a wire trace or very heavy mono is the go as well

and dont give them a rex hunt peck!

Edited by mtcolah