Port Hacking

Yowie

Have been driving through South Australia and Victoria for the last 4 weeks with no fishing, so I headed out to Gymea Bay this morning at first light (cold, but not as cold as Victoria). First cast with a pillie, let it sink to the bottom, and jigged it a couple of times. Felt like I snagged up, then a big head shake and the line parted near the rod tip after 2 seconds. A small fraying of the line. I check my lines every now and then for fraying, but missed this little section. Probably a nice jewfish. Then all quiet.

Some time later, the bream rod took off, a nice bream but the hook pulled after a while. Later managed a 35cm trevally, and a trumpeter whiting on a piece of pillie meant for the bream.

Pumped a few nippers at Grays point and drifted the flats. Not a bite and not a fish to be seen. The water was cold. Drifted Lilli Pilli flats for a short while, no bites and also Gunnamatta Bay flats on the way home, again no bites and nothing to be seen swimming about.

Filleted the 2 fish, and threw the carcases into the water, usually brings in the bream, but none to be seen.

Has anyone been catching much in the Port?

Yowie.

Have been driving through South Australia and Victoria for the last 4 weeks with no fishing, so I headed out to Gymea Bay this morning at first light (cold, but not as cold as Victoria). First cast with a pillie, let it sink to the bottom, and jigged it a couple of times. Felt like I snagged up, then a big head shake and the line parted near the rod tip after 2 seconds. A small fraying of the line. I check my lines every now and then for fraying, but missed this little section. Probably a nice jewfish. Then all quiet.

Some time later, the bream rod took off, a nice bream but the hook pulled after a while. Later managed a 35cm trevally, and a trumpeter whiting on a piece of pillie meant for the bream.

Pumped a few nippers at Grays point and drifted the flats. Not a bite and not a fish to be seen. The water was cold. Drifted Lilli Pilli flats for a short while, no bites and also Gunnamatta Bay flats on the way home, again no bites and nothing to be seen swimming about.

Filleted the 2 fish, and threw the carcases into the water, usually brings in the bream, but none to be seen.

Yowie.

Was there today and had a ball, was offshore.

You must of been happy to be back on the hacking after a 4 week break :1fishing1: .

The fish have slowed down considerabely in the last few weeks , you really have to put in the hours to go home with a feed by moving around till you locate some.I didn,t see much on the sounder sunday morning nor in the afternoon until i hit bates bay where there was alot of fish , the water is a bit warmer in the bay.

chris.

Yowie.

G'day Yowie,

Ive found it very Quiet the last two weeks also, im only fishing the area from grays pt to yowie bay

tried using nippers, bonito strips and plastics all with pretty ordinary results. small snapper and bream usually.

I havent seen much surface action, nothing like last year anyway. have you ?

Water looks nice and clear so im not sure why its quiet

Morgs

G'day Yowie,

Ive found it very Quiet the last two weeks also, im only fishing the area from grays pt to yowie bay

tried using nippers, bonito strips and plastics all with pretty ordinary results. small snapper and bream usually.

I havent seen much surface action, nothing like last year anyway. have you ?

Water looks nice and clear so im not sure why its quiet

Morgs

There were a couple of splashes in Gymea Bay, appeared to be smallish tailor around the legal size, but not biting at baits or lures.

Hi Yowie,

FIshed Sat arvo for bait, berleyed up water with stale bread and plenty around. Landed about 10 or so, now have some fresh bait.

Fished early Sun morning, very slow couple of just on size bream, switched to SP and retrieved slow over weed beds only to bit hit a couple of times by hairtail, naunces.

Just on top of tide, the place just went dead, no bait fish, no bites, nothing.

Don't think much happening at present.

Earlier in year fished bends with large nippers unwaited and landed 2 x whiting, 41cm and 39cm. They're there just picky.

Cheers

WD

Yeah, i've always found that the Hacking shuts down once the water chills down. I reckon with the cold water and your description of feeling the snag and then big head shakes you may have had a big lizard as opposed to a jew.

Hairtail over the weed beds WD?!?!?! That would be a surprise.

Rich

Edited by Mr Squidy

Yeah, i've always found that the Hacking shuts down once the water chills down. I reckon with the cold water and your description of feeling the snag and then big head shakes you may have had a big lizard as opposed to a jew.

Rich

It felt more jew than flattie, however, the poor bastard has a 3 gang hook and about 20 metres of line attached to his mouth, unless he managed to shake it out. Not good for the fish.

yowie I was out yesterday Arvo and threw about 5 different lures at those same small splashes, with nil result.

When I was paddling home I saw a bloke casting a bait jig into them and picking up a full string each time.

Looked very small , about 3 inches long what he kept pulling in, didn't get close enough to see the species.

Morgs

Hair tail in the hacking ? Haven't heard of that before . That would be cool

yowie I was out yesterday Arvo and threw about 5 different lures at those same small splashes, with nil result.

When I was paddling home I saw a bloke casting a bait jig into them and picking up a full string each time.

Looked very small , about 3 inches long what he kept pulling in, didn't get close enough to see the species.

Morgs

They're sardines mate, if you can get them fresh like that they are just about the best bait in the ocean IMO, especially if you can get one back in alive before it dies on you.

They're sardines mate, if you can get them fresh like that they are just about the best bait in the ocean IMO, especially if you can get one back in alive before it dies on you.

Thanks mate.

do you use them live or do they not keep well?

Morgs

Rich

Could be snook, as I've caught them over weed beds before at different times of the year.

Yowie.

Thanks mate.

Morgs

The sardines do not keep alive too well, and the flesh is a bit soft so the hooks can pull out, however, as a fresh cut bait, or a small one put on whole, a lot of fish will have a go at them.

Yowie.

Morgs

The ones I saw splashing were not sardines, they were bigger than that, probably just legal size tailor.

Just read in the Wednesday edition of the Telegraph, that someone bagged out on whiting in North West Arm. Was he lucky, is it a fair dinkum report, or a delayed report?

Yowie.

Thanks mate.

Morgs

Yeah, think different people are seeing different fish.

Those Sardines though usually die in under a minute in a bucket. As long as they are fresh though i find that both Jew and kings cant resist them. I usually fish them whole unweighted with a two hook rig, with the top hook through the mouth and up out the top of the skull to help hold the bait solidly as yowie is right about them being quite soft.

Rich