Barramundi in the Harbour

plankton

not as uncommon as you might think. they get released into the harbour on occasion. a year or two ago quite a few guys caught them while competing in Sydney harbour in a bream comp. I doubt any migrate this far, never know.

Deffinantly a Barra. You can tell by the white stripe. Quite a few have been caught. They put it down to Buddhist monks buying them live from resarunts and releasing them. Turns out their good deed only give the fish a likely death sentence when the cooler waters arrive. Plus there's a chance of spreading disease.

Edited by camel

Yes it is a Barra

The poor little bloke will be alright for the next couple of months but as soon as the water starts to cool he will die a slow death.

These people who put them in thinking they will have good luck are nothing more than uneducated fools

I wonder if God is wishing good luck on them

well you guys have answered my question. Last year i was out at Canada Bay and was positive i saw a 40cm barra in the channel and had a good close up 5min look at it. Been barra fishing before but started to question myself if I realy could identify fish species!!

its no more than a few months old if it is a barra, ive kept barra in a 3ft fish tank before and it outgrew that in its first 2 yrs, if it got to decent size it may survive thru our cold winters, they just slow down when it gets cold.... i say we stock the harbour with more :thumbup:

I was watching it for a while. Definitely a Barra. You can tell by the white stripe.

I heard that one was seen near Peir but that was a long time ago. Maybe the ones which have a disease are sometimes thrown into the Harbour when they arrive at the Markets for live export.