Motion sickness tablets

Swaz

The following steps will help.

1. Get a good nights rest. If you are sleepy, you are finished!

2. Avoid all forms of dairy products, instead have a non greasy dry toast for breakfast. Toasted bread is best.

3. Use Bova Compounding seasickness tablets. They are quite good, although any seasickness tablet will knock you around a bit, and make you drowsy. Bova compounding are found in Caringbah. Bova has ginger and caffeine in them. Ginger to assist your stomach to stop churning, and caff to wake slow down the affects of the tab making you sleepy, although I have complained to Bova that they do not have enough caffeine in them.

4. Take plenty of food, drinks and snacks with you. I found being on the chew all days helps a great deal as well. I usually take a heap of smoked salmon sandwiches with me. Plenty of salty crackers or nuts, plenty of nectarines, apples and a couple of chocolate bars.

5. If you have a juicer, try and juice ginger and have it watered down with something you enjoy drinking. It helps settle your stomach. I usually take a few bottles of V with me and will have them when I start getting drowsy, as all tabs do this to you. Ginger beer is also good if you cant or wont juice fresh ginger,

6. Drink plenty of water and remain hydrated.

7. Do not overdose on tabs, this will also make you more sick. I find having something in your stomach assists with settling your stomach.

I would pay a years salary to have this problem corrected. Its a fishos curse, but hope this helps :1fishing1:

I take a kwells the night before and one when I get up, works 90% of the time. The other 10% I spew for a minuet or so then get back to fishing....

I've tried eating, not eating , the compounding chemist gear, drops Behind the ears, even to eat bacon only on the morning.

Have had to learn to put up with it from time to time.

I take one 30 mins before leaving home to go fishing. Either Kwells or Travacalm original. Works well for me. Don't wait til you feel sick - take one before leaving.

I take Travacalm as well, 30 minutes prior to fishing, so on the way there. Works like a treat, just makes the mouth really dry, so bring bottled water.

This topic has been discussed quite a lot, and many raiders recommend ET tablets. I'm yet to give it a go, as apparently you don't get the dryness, which sounds awesome. :thumbup:

I bought some of the Bova ones a month ago just to have on the boat for other people that need them and the chemist told me not to use them for children under 12 or anyone taking Heart or Blood pressure medication because of the caffeine in them. I han't heard that before and thought it was worth pointing out.

You don't have to go to Bova in Carringbah. Any Compounding Chemist can make up a sea sickness capsule the same or similar depending on your needs. They do contain Caffiene and Ginger and usually 1 or 2 of several other key active ingredients. The ones I purchased in Hamilton Newcastle are based on Scopolamine Hydrobromide with a little Dimenhydrinate.

I was also told the same thing about under 12 years old and hypertension by Bova and they wouldn't dispence them to me without the authority of my GP. However, when I asked the guy in Newcastle he said they were fine to take for myself and my son who is 11. Take 1 or 2 30 minutes before departure then 1 after 4 - 6 hrs if needed but we have only ever taken the 1 and stayed out for up to 8 hrs in pretty ordinary seas. They are $25.00 for 12 capsules but well worth it so I bought 2 bottles.

They have changed my son's ability to stay outside to a 100% success rate (so far so good) whereas it used to be 100% fail on Kwells. I used to take Kwells for nearly 40 years of fishing and always felt affected by them for some time after returning to shore but they did work for me.

I have also tried Stemazine which is a prescription medication for Vertigo, Dizziness and Nausea but I can't say if they worked or not really as they were very calm days anyway. I fished a charter with a guy taking them and he threw up every time someone lifted a pike into the boat.

Years back I was on a 3 day trip so we used the patches that you put behind your earlobe. These worked a treat but they took them off the market due to the side effects caused in some people of visual and auditory hallucinations.

This works. The tablet is called SERC. Prescription only. See your GP. It is normally used to treat vertigo which i have and i used to get sick if i was a passenger in a car. It increases blood flow to the middle ear which helps your balance

I take Travacalm as well, 30 minutes prior to fishing, so on the way there. Works like a treat, just makes the mouth really dry, so bring bottled water.

This topic has been discussed quite a lot, and many raiders recommend ET tablets. I'm yet to give it a go, as apparently you don't get the dryness, which sounds awesome. :thumbup:

I used travacalm for years as a young bloke taking as just leaving home or at the ramp. Over the past few years I managed to cut it down too half a one and now I do not need to take anything at all. So I recommend travacalm original! Just take water n food and drys the mouth!

I've used the ones from Bova with great sucess as has my brother. The advantage with them is if you do have side effects you can talk to them & they wiill adjust the compounds to suit untill you get it just right.

Kingys

I can absolutely vouch for the ET tabs from Bova, they do work. A bit pricey, but compared with the alternative of terminal sea-sickness, a bargain. Also the team at Bova will check your medical condition and any medications you may be taking for adverse affects. I think sea-sickness is a very individua matter, but have provided their tabs to others and they do work.........as long as you don't wait too long to take them, otherwise they don't stay down too long!!!! It is an evil affliction!

Kwells but I think and I am certain about this that it is what you eat the night before that comes into play here so therefor I make sure that no spicey or any oily foods come near my mouth and instead I just have a couple of rolls with cheese for dinner. Morning just some toast and important not to leave with an empty stomach, plenty of nice cold water some dry biscuits like ritz and I take a couple of cheese sandwiches. I take one 20 minutes before I set foot on the boat and another I soon as I jump on.

Cheers

Edited by Dorado 2

I struggled on my first few outings on beavers boat however after a disaster day spewing over the boat I got serious and bought some kwells and also did a bit of reading. I have a ginger tea when I go to bed at night then when I wake up I just have 1 piece of toast and 2 kwells, they do make u drowsy so I added 2 nodoze and now I'm fine on the water 100% success rate for me, even in a 2.5m swell at north head anchored up I was fine, I still can't stand up in a boat yet though ! They do make ur mouth dry tho, at first to get used to It i didn't drink any water just ate dry crackers but I've been working my way up in the food and water consption and now I can usually drink about 1.5L of mizone on the boat and have a packet of kettle chips not feel sick and not too much land sickness when I get home, no alcohol the night before (especially for the under 12's) and a good nights sleep (impossible when you are stupidly excited about going fishing!) and you should be sweet. I'm keen to try these bova tablets tho after reading about them

There's already a fair few mentions of ginger, but I've found having a slice of raw gingerroot under the tongue works too - it helps give you a great cool feeling when you breath in which is a pretty good antedote to nausea.

Also, pre-tie all your rigs and have your rods set up before you get outside and into the swell - nothing like having your head down while riding a swell to bring on seasickness.

And when all else fails, throw up downwind!

Thanks so much for all the replies, very much appreciated. I have a compound pharmacy close by and a sister in law who is a pharmacist and with everyones suggestions I should be able to find something that works.