Long toms

Swaz

The few times I have been fishing in The Entrance channel I have seen a school of 1 foot + Long Toms. They chase my SP's but the hooks are far too large. They went crazy for my Berkley Gulp 3" worm, but again didn't get anywhere near the hook!

I would like to see if I can hook one, especially seeing as they seem to be around and willing to bite when nothing else will.

Considered a size 12 hook unweighted with a segment of prawn, but haven't had a chance to give this a go yet. How do people usually catch them?

They have a very hard bony mouth that is almost impossible to set a hook into. Your best bet it to either use bait like a prawn and let them swallow it down deep, or use a harbodied lure and hope all their teeth get tangled in the trebles. Either way, they fight amazingly well and if you fish a light drag you should get a few electric runs and a bit of tailwalking action.

Size 6 hooks light trace and a fillet of the tail bit off a phillies always picks up the long toms whenever I see me.

Make sure u skull drag me in when u hook up. They make short work of your trace but if ur leader is heavy they will not take it

Drifting in the shallow water around the sand banks of Port Hacking, I catch the odd one on nippers, around the 40 to 50cm mark. They will take the nippers from the bottom as I drift for whiting, or on the retrieve but are hard to hook. Some will jump during the fight.

Once landed, a few of them have tried to bite me, they wriggle like a snake and are hard to hold on to, with the snapping jaws a danger to inexperienced fishermen.

The big ones are a different proposition. The biggest I have seen was from Lake Illawarra and it was 4 foot long, or 1.2 metres, with teeth that would put a piranha to shame. A wire trace would be necessary for that size.

Thanks everyone. I have a surface popper and a small Halco 5g slug that might work. I noticed that when they had my SP they only took it on the move, and when they had it I flipped the bail arm up and let them take it. If I can get them to take the hook in their mouth and then turn and swim away from me I might be able to strike and hook them.... hopefully!

Well, I got one!! As true to my current form of catching the young of all fish species I caught one about 20cm long. Foul hooked the poor thing whilst whipping a Halco 5g slug. took me a few mins to free it and got some nips on the finger for my trouble. I wouldnt want to handle a bigger one without gloves.

They are a beautiful looking, slender fish. I don't like what they do to my Gulp worms though!