Biggest fish on light gear

Robertos87

Ok guys. I was wondering what everyone's biggest fish on light gear is. Now light gear would be relevant to the fish caught, for example a 35cm bream on 12 pound line wouldn't be considered light but a 1 metre Jew on the same line would. Ill go first: a 60cm Australian salmon on 4 pound braid with 10 pound fc leader. Lot of fun andreally made me determined to fish as light as possible. Look forward to hearing everybody else's.

260.6 kg tiger shark on 6 kg

13.0 kg spanish mackerel on 3 kg

11.0 kg longtail tuna on 3 kg

Gotta love sportsfishing!!!!

Cheers,

Singers

Hats off to that...

My most memorable would have to be an 8.2kg swampy on 4lb. I must have got smoked 10 times before i fanally landed one. I reckon some of the ones that did me would have been over 10kg. 4lb, logs and weed, you do the math.. For an obnoxious pest their pretty bloody good fun.

2lb Gladiato r Braid sienna 1000 reel pioneer 4feet 2-4kg rod 60cm kingfish but i was using a 12lb leader.

2LB Gladiato r Braid, 6lb mono caught 65 cm travelly 10 min fight at tuncurry.

Edited by PowerFisher

I caught a 40cm bonito on one of those light 6 hook bait rigs while fishing for herring off the breakwall at SWR.

I also managed a 1m gummy on 6lb mono off South Cronulla years ago. It took about 20min to get to the boat.

Cheers

Personally a real feat 5lb 8 ounce pig on Sportex 663 (sloppy 12ft luderick stick from the 60's) Avon royal mk3 loaded with 10lb dango wax and 6lb maxima ultragreen leader. took a good 5 yo 10 mins to alnd and a lot of heart stopping moments, same set up and the pig was followed up by a 4lb 6 ounce luderick! Taken off Pig rock at Kurnell.

My best was a 10.0 kg jew on 1 kg pretest mono (it actually had a breaking strain of 925 grams). :insane:

I was catching yakkas for bait using a single no 12 long shank hook when my bait got absolutely smashed by the jew. Took almost 2 hours to land.

Since then I have not been jewie fishing because I know that there is no way I will ever beat that again :074:

Evets

My best was a 10.0 kg jew on 1 kg pretest mono (it actually had a breaking strain of 925 grams). :insane:

I was catching yakkas for bait using a single no 12 long shank hook when my bait got absolutely smashed by the jew. Took almost 2 hours to land.

Since then I have not been jewie fishing because I know that there is no way I will ever beat that again :074:

Evets

that is heart in the mouth fishing lol :thumbup:

A 31 pound Sydney cobia on 8 pound Maxima mono (pre braid days) and then recently a 93cm Sydney king on 10kg braid in three fathoms of water. Both fish, a couple of decades apart, ate home made hair jigs, which upped the joy.

Guest Aussie007

i usually over rig for what im catching caught a salmon on monday 48cm 2-4kg rod penn 260 slammer reel (smallest slammer reel) great fight took about 5mins to land :biggrin2:

80cm king 6lb braid 10lb leader

25kg king 15kg mono 60lb leader

4kg groper & 3.5kg pigs 10lb main blackfish outfit

100kg marlin 15kg mono 80lb leader

92cm flatty 6lb mono

few +15kg longtails on 8kg mono land based & 6kg boat based

stack of +10lb salmon n bonnies on 4lb braid

80cm tailor 6lb braid

6kg mowong 6lb mono

The list goes on.... to many to name, i always fish light were i can.

Wow, many amazing catches and not sure I can compare, but my most memorable catch was off the rocks at South Avoca many years ago - a 34lb Kingfish on 15 lb line on an old Seascape - and those who can remember the Seascapes and their delicate pinion gears and somewhat variable star-drags, well that was an achievement, for me anyway!

• 8 months later...

6'6" 20 year old Butterworth fmt72l (extended 6")okuma eb20 with 4 kg mono. Bloodworm for bait, fishing for bream for breakfast off umina beach.

23kg Jew! Look to the left!!!

Edited by bluefin