Hawksburry trail run

farizzy

Just got back from jerusalem bay on a test run to chase down a few hair tail.

Set up about 5pm and had 3 rods going. One with a float , one at 4mt and one at 7mt. I was fishing at the entrance to the bay.

I just wanted to go for a few hours to see how dark it gets down there.

I was just playing around with the little quiver tip rod catching a few flathead and bream while i waited. At about 7 my litte rod buckles over and screams off. I had no idea what it was . i was fishing a half prawn as the pickers were killing me, Run after run on the light gear and the 30 dollar knock around shimanno real was getting a work out. After a few more dives and to my suprise , up pops a jew. Far out. on a prawn. He must have been hungry. He went 45 and i was pumpped as i always wanted to catch one. Id love to feel how hard his mum and dad go .

After a quick pic he went on his way.

Stayed out till 8.30 but didnt get a touch on the big gear. I no i should be staying out longer but not sure if i was in the right spot. I was in around 10mt and was using pillies with a red light near the gang.

not sure if im around the mark and would love some help.

i took a pic of the sounder and it was crazy. when i first got there i had a few marks on the bottom but by the time i left it looked like the pic.

Not sure what i was seeing. took one with the fish id on and 1 with it off.

Anyway had a great night and keen to hit it again, but will definatly go the long haul for sure

post-19517-055968200 1336737215_thumb.jpg

post-19517-030015600 1336737266_thumb.jpg

Soapies often take prawns however, a bigger model would be an unusual capture. Very possible that you had hairtail on your sounder. You had the right idea with gang pillies at different depths. If you stayed out longer you never know!

Your jewie must be of the same family from the one I caught with the 5 week old salted pilchard! Ha! Ha! :074:

When I gutted mine I found a prawn and 2 very small white bait fish.

For hairtail try coal and candle creek. There are some nice deep holes there and also good that you varied your depth.

I've never used a light above the hooks though. May have to give it a go next time.

J

• 2 weeks later...

yeh it gets dark out there

suggest you head in to the bay a bit find a deep hole 15mts or so and settle in 10mts is actually shallow around there

waratah is also good

funnily enough if ya get out of the wind it stays rather warm [thanks to mr bundy]

oh and going by that mighty sounder pic [wish my was that flash]

i would add ive been led to believe hairtail swim vertical not horizontal which may equate to all those readings i could be a fool though!

Edited by mtcolah

lets say alcohol may have been involved

and after catching them i still cant deny it!

they do seem to fight UPWARDS!

ive only caught them in mooney mooney creek - they behaved quite horizontal in that environment!