Looking at bream rod

imgoin

Iv had expensive rods and iv had cheaper rods and the rate of wear and tear is the same, and I can't say there's a considerable enough difference to to warrant spending $400 on a spin rod in comparison to something in the Shimano range like a raider or starlo stix $60-$120 depending on your tackle store.

Good luck with your purchase.

Fishingphase

My favourite rod for bream is definitely my Shimano Jewell 2-4kg. Great rod. They have stopped making them for some reason but they still have online stocks. I got mine for $139 but they are cheap online now! Something like $99. Next favourite is the the raider as previously mentioned. Have a look at them. Great value!

Gotta know what's your price range any what type of fishing you using it for.

Just putting it out there raiders and jewels have the same blank so in other words the almost same thing.

I myself have a fireblood 2-4 and also an g loomis imx bought back when Americans owned loomis not shimano.

If you are using bait any 2-4 kg cheapie rod will do the trick.

Fore lures if your budget is to the lower end try a pflueger triton top rods for their price.

Good luck

I am also lookign at a nerw bream rod, so comparing these three 2-4 kg 6-7ft rods for light estury work with 2500 reel:

Shimano Jewel @ $99

Berkly Dropshot @ $89

Shimano Starlo Stix Classix @ $79

which would you guys choose?

I'd go the jewel if it were me.

Personally the only rod I seem to use now spinning for flatties is my Lox 1-3 kg 7'6" rod. I'll admit it's not as crisp as the nitro vapour but when I bought the rod it was half the price of the vapour.

As mentioned above, you need to give a budget to narrow it down. Obviously there is just no comparison between a Loomis IMX and a Berkley Dropshot, but you pay a hell of a lot more for the Loomis!

Hi my price range on a rod would be about the $150.00 mark And i would be using it for lures and bait.Will go to my tackle shop an have a feel of the rods that have been mentioned.Thanks all for the advice

I have a 2pc 2/4 kg rod by Shimano (I cannot remember the name but it is abreviated to SSS v2 I think) It originates from the Katana blank. The rod is a weapon for $80. Ill edit the post when I get home to check it.

I have a 2pc 2/4 kg rod by Shimano (I cannot remember the name but it is abreviated to SSS v2 I think) It originates from the Katana blank. The rod is a weapon for $80. Ill edit the post when I get home to check it.

Probably a Steve Starling Spin rod. Good rod for the price, I found the raider has a bit more punch for casting lures though.

+1 for the raider bream finesse. Great little rod. Have had mine for over two years now and it has caught endless flatties, bream and school Jew. It has been bashed around so much and has scratches all over it but still goes strong. I have it matched with a Stradic 2500 with 8lb sunline braid on one spool and 3lb fire line tournament exceed I the other. This covers most of my light fishing.

Just to throw a spanner in the works. I also have a samaki sketch. 2-4kg 1 piece rod. $89. It is sensational for its price... I use this rod for chasing bass. On the weekend I flipped my canoe twice..... An both times the rod got dragged over the rocks an it is still in one piece..

When these two rods go, I will be replacing them with the exact same again!!

• 1 month later...

Hi Gaffing,

Sorry about the late reply, but I thought I'd post this anyway. I'm currently using a Abu Veritas 1-3kg rod with Abu Soron STX20. This reel has a great drag system that allows you to catch those bigger bream on lighter line! It isn't the the lightest of reels if you're out jigging all day but it has exceptional build quality. I'm also using Berkley Nanofil line with this combo which has increased my casting range and accuracy (especially with very light lures.)

Not very expensive and really great gear. All up cost was around $300 for rod, reel and line.

Regards,

N11

I've just bought a Sambo menace 7ft 2-4 kg rod and matched it up with a 2500 sienna and 6lb fins. Rod feels really good and reel is nice too. Best part was the whole setup cost me $120 so I can't complain with that, might be overkill for bream though I'll probably use it to tackle some sambos and Bonnie's and trevs from the boat, my other sambo rod is a 6-12kg and used it for trolling alot caught plenty of big Bonnie's and tailor without problems