80cm Eastern Blue Spot Flattie

finin

Nice flattie mate, I think it may be a dusky though, a big blue spot will grow to around the 60-70cm mark and from 55-80 meters , either way it is a lovely feed for you.. Congrats.. :thumbup:

I agree on it being a nice Dusky. Ive managed a few off Sydney recently mixed in with the blue spots, tigers and marbleds. Not that big though! top catch! did you find they were schooled up or scattered?

cheers Chewie

Ah, the naysayers strike again.

Looks to me like the angler knows the difference or he wouldn't have specifically said so, and I can't see a tail spot in that photo.

Well done on a cracker Eastern Blue Spot flatty mate.

I catch them in any depth from 30m out to 60m and don't catch many duskies in those waters. Fish up to 70cm are not uncommon and the biggest one I've seen was a metre plus fish taken on a 45cm model which it ate headfirst at Coffs Harbour.

Ah, the naysayers strike again.

Looks to me like the angler knows the difference or he wouldn't have specifically said so, and I can't see a tail spot in that photo.

Well done on a cracker Eastern Blue Spot flatty mate.

I catch them in any depth from 30m out to 60m and don't catch many duskies in those waters. Fish up to 70cm are not uncommon and the biggest one I've seen was a metre plus fish taken on a 45cm model which it ate headfirst at Coffs Harbour.

Well there are more than one nayser here and the fisheries tell the story on this link.

BLUE SPOT FLATHEAD maximum size 70cms and 3kgs and this flattie is much better than 3 kgs

Dusky for sure and a very nice specimen indeed...congrats :thumbup:

Regards Admin

Thanks for the replies but firstly i had better clear things up as all i wanted to do was post the photo of a lifetime fish. The fish was caught on bait in 50m of water off cronulla. The photo was sent to me from a m8's boat as we were laughing on the radio whilst said fish was being pulled up and was initially called for a Banjo Shark :074: . I honestly wish i could of seen his face as it was bought to the surface, took 15min to bring in. The interesting thing is it was a male. The fish is an Eastern Blue Spot Flathead.

Great fish mate.......if it was male did you eat it?? Here's a dusky me and my mate.......well my mate.......caught in Pittwater on an SP in March in 42 feet. When we saw it 10 feet under the boat, thought it was a Wobbygong. Looked magnificent swimming back to the deep....it went 82cm. Same spot and withing 30 mins, caught 3 more 45cm-55cm. 3 or 4 trips since have been very lean.

post-22429-077721200 1345454871_thumb.jpg

DPIPWE Tasmania

The southern bluespotted flathead has a lighter sandy brown body with scattered small blue to white spots intermingled with dark blotches. The tail fin has dark spots surrounded by white. This species of flathead can grow up to 90 centimetres and weigh up to 8 kilograms.

Some authorities say the Eastern classification is no longer valid as there are 2 species being Northern and Southern.

DPIPWE Tasmania

The southern bluespotted flathead has a lighter sandy brown body with scattered small blue to white spots intermingled with dark blotches. The tail fin has dark spots surrounded by white. This species of flathead can grow up to 90 centimetres and weigh up to 8 kilograms.

Some authorities say the Eastern classification is no longer valid as there are 2 species being Northern and Southern.

Great fish, well done

Regardless of how big blue spots grow, it's a Dusky flattie. Still, a good one, and they can be caught at some depth out of the estuaries.

Blue spotted flatties are a caramel brown colour with distinctive blue spots, that colour and pattern is a dusky.

Edited by yowie