sharpening knives

Benzeenees

Google what angle the knife should be sharpened to. I use 3 different grade stones going from course to fine. 10 goes on each side of the blade then 9, 8, 7 ect down to 1 then run the blade backwards over a leather strip 10 times on each side.

takes practice but if u get it right it will be razor sharp.

Using stones relies as much or more on technique as it does on the stones. And the quality of the blade will also limit how well it takes and holds an edge.

For 'no-fuss' systems, the best I've found are the Furi Fingers set which I use on my kitchen knives. On a good quality knife you'll get a shaving sharp edge. But nothing beats stones and hones if you really want wicked sharp blades.

I've always prided myself on being able to sharpen knives well but I've recently taken up archery and if you want to learn how to get an edge REALLY sharp, get some tips from someone good at sharpening broadheads. For sharpening 2 blade broadheads I now use nothing more than a file and a leather strop. Google broadhead sharpening and then apply the thinking to your fishing knives... it basically revolves around creating a burr on the edge, then weakening and knocking the burw off by honing. Shaving sharp from scratch in around 4 minutes.

Cheers, Slinky

Being a carpenter, I learnt to sharpen my chisels early and I use the same practice on my knives with great success. The key is to keep the same angle on all of your passes. Doing one side briefly the the other an so forth slowly working the burr of is the idea as slinky said. If you do 4 passes on one side you should feel the burr on the other side Normally, there is the grinded angle of about 25 degrees then your honing angle should be 5 degrees greater. Not the same as the main angle. I use my finger like a gauge/guide to keep the same angle throughout It's a thing that takes practice unfortunatly!

Hi Benzeenees,

I have an accusharp sharpener and love it. It takes a few seconds to get a great edge on a filleting knife!

I've had mates comment on how sharp the knives I have on the boat always are and all it takes is seconds.

The only thing I recommend is to start with a good quality knife. If the blade is good, you'll get end up with a very sharp knife otherwise if the blade is crap, it will only be average is sharpness.

When my current accusharp wears out, I'm buying another!

Hope this helps.....

as others have said - stones give you the best edge - but it takes skill, and patience to learn.

Its all about getting the right angle and keeping it constant - hell you can even use the underside of a ceramic coffee mug to sharpen your knives using the same method

i get a good edge using stones - but not a great one.

for 30 bucks i got myself a pull through sharpener from a retail knife store. super quick, easy, and has kept my knives sharp for years - takes 1min to get a great edge, and can do it on a rocky boat

For 'no-fuss' systems, the best I've found are the Furi Fingers set which I use on my kitchen knives. On a good quality knife you'll get a shaving sharp edge. But nothing beats stones and hones if you really want wicked sharp blades.

I agree with Slinky re: "Furi" Sharpeners... they are very easy to use and keep my knives very sharp. Even my cheaper knives stay pretty sharp using the furi sharpener.

My brother has a spyderco sharpener and it is very very good. I normally use a global steel I found in vinnies years ago as paid $2 for it, turns out they are over $100 each and still works a charm! I find knives with a cheaper blade will generally stay sharp for a shorter time period than more expensive ones. I usually just sharpen up the knives before every outing and im all good for the day!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately I gave up trying to sharpen my knives,cleaning Black Fish takes the edge off real quick so I bought an electric filleting knife

I can fillet, skin and debone the luderick in less than half the time and a better job.But they are not for everybody,just for some of us that have

a hard time sharpening knives.By the way I have had it for 2 years now and it's still going strong.

Hi,

I have had the Lansky diamond system for over a year now and it is simple, effective and reliable. The best system I've found in over 40 years of fishing. After 5 minutes on a well used knife I can shave the hairs on my arm. Give it a go, it's great and so easy to use.

Dave