HAWKESBURY LOWLIFE

wazza3006

Anyone been crabing on the Hawkesbury lately?

Set out early yesterday morning. Launched the boat and set the traps [HN].

Everthing was looking good. Wind was right, tide was right, crew was right and the sunrise on the Hawkesbury a sight to behold. Even read the article in Fishraider to make sure this time we would be on the money.

Then headed off for a bit of action outside. Live bait was hard to come by. I'm sure the Flint & Steel parking lot has a lot to do with it. Dozens of berley trails making their way to sea on the out-going tide must have the bait fish off the usual marks to attend the feast. Only landed one yakka off West Head then headed to the Valiant Wreck. Passed over a huge bait ball on the way, so out went the yakka. Within five minutes the reason for the baitball became obvious. I had a four foot mako on the line. Great fight. Thought I had a kingy until I saw the dorsal fin. Landed the critter without incident and continued to the Valiant.

Well guess what! We found the bait fish. There were more slimeys and yakkas here than I would have thought possible. Filled the bait tank in no time flat. Our hopes were raised and we thought we were in for a great morning.

Sad to say that was it. Not another fish landed. Not to worry fresh crab and mako will go down well back at the local with a few cold ones.

Heading back inside our excitement was building. How many crabs will be waiting to be rescued?

Well let's cut to the chase and the title of this thread.

Some Hawkesbury Lowlife has stolen five of our hats.

Of the others not a single crab. One might speculate that there were no crabs in the first place, but when you find one of your hats 500 metres from where you set it and on the other side of the river, WELL?

Were the others raided? Did the stolen pots have crabs? We will never know.

So how do we stop this kind of behaviour?

Boat rego number on the float?

I can't wait to get my hands on a Hawkesbury Lowlife!!!!

Wazza

I've stopped putting traps out due to having them stolen , last time I did I had 5 traps all with correct sized floats with boat rego on stolen . The time before had 3 out of five stolen , time before that had 3out of 4 stolen , a few scumbags out there I'd like to use as bait.

Why not next time set a trap for him. PUT out a few hats with a rock on the end as well as some with the hat.

Just sit back some where and watch them . Just dont fall in the water P-----ing your self laughing. You leave a note saying sprung and police on way or look at the camera and smile

Then pay him a visit. better still phone Water police. If this behaviour is so common they will be easily caught.

I feel for ya mate.

Ive had a lot of gear knocked off over the last few years including a boat. And expensive rods and reels knocked off out of boat while at the cleaning tables.

I thought that it regulation to put your own details on your crab pots actually? Not sure about this. I havnt done it for a while but i use to set pots in lake illawarra and i think the rule came in back then that you had to put your name and address on each pot.

This was to regulate the fishing laws, as in to regulate your maximum of 5 pots per person. ? Im not sure about this, Can any one confirm. Not sure if it would stop them but at least if you caught them in the act you could prove there yours.

Dave

Edited by Dfishin

i have been fishing around wobby before and watched as a family put 3 traps in the main channel where their is loads of current and all of their traps instantly drifted down

stream while they powered off in the opposite direction.(not saying that you did this )but it depends on how strond the current is..:1fishing1:

I find that hard to believe because 14 were where we left them. One was in a new location 500 metres away and on the opposite side of the river and 5 were missing altogether. However, I agree that everyone on the river may not be fishing or crab stealing. It has been said "They are more likely to steal your crabs rather than your traps".

That's what I thought initially. But on reflection don't you think it is easier and quicker to lift a trap, check it out and drop it if empty BUT if it has crabs, just keep it and sort the spoils elsewhere. This makes more sense to me.

When I go crabbing, thats all I do, set the traps out and relax, might flick some plastics close by, thats it, unfortunately not everyone can be honest.

Probably worth mentioning that there are various bans in place for the Hawkesbury, which is why I asked where they were. Water Police/Fisheries will just pull them up if they are in a restricted area.

Matt

I went 3 weeks ago on the hawkesbury and set some, end of the day we went to collect, I small tinnie done the bolt from that location to a near point where they appeared to fish but kept looking at us. Out of 8, one was missing, one had a massive hole in it and the rest were there... I think we interrupted them ... I've heard stories of psyco lobster fisheries catching people red handed.. Pull up alongside em and jump in their tinnie and strike there floor with an axe and leave. I'm not saying that's the solution but that'll f.# k em.

It is dissapoibting though, ya best like someone else said put em in and flick plastics near by

I live at Wobby and many times I see witches hats or traps just floating by in the current. The trick is to set them on the run in tide as it is slower, the north west side of the rail bridge can be ok but is deep, and is a bit out of the current. The most successful guys are the ones who fish nearby their traps and check them every hour or so.I know there are possibly thieves out there but the best way to seriously catch crabs is not to give the thieves the opportunity.If you drop your traps then speed off into the distance, you will attract them.

All the best

Real DIRTBAGS... These scum, unfortunately fishing attracts a lot of low lifes, more than any other recreation or sport I can think of.

I've had plenty of gear stolen as well... such a pain, theres nothing they wont steal, just have to be vigilant now. Trust no one.

I had a couple of traps set in the mouth of Porto Bay on the Hawkesbury. While fishing behind the oyster leases a few hundred metres away all I could do was watch a scum bag oyster barge stop and lift my traps and roar of up the bay. Too far away to do anything and who knows, the freak could have had any sort of weapon in his barge. Not worth spilling blood over a few dollars worth of traps. Just be aware of those scum bags.

I had a couple of traps set in the mouth of Porto Bay on the Hawkesbury. While fishing behind the oyster leases a few hundred metres away all I could do was watch a scum bag oyster barge stop and lift my traps and roar of up the bay. Too far away to do anything and who knows, the freak could have had any sort of weapon in his barge. Not worth spilling blood over a few dollars worth of traps. Just be aware of those scum bags.

Get their Rego number and report the animals.