Sydney Harbour Tuesday - A Barren Kingy Wasteland

Marlin repellent

Hey Guys, went out early Tuesday to try and start my Kingy campaign. Had plenty of squid in the tank early and so I thought things were looking pretty good. Man was I wrong. I tried everything, every marker, every reef, trolling, drifting, whole live squid, squid strips, berley.

Went outside up to Blue Fish Point. Did not even see a fish on the sounder. Was going to go to Long Reef but was getting low on fuel from all the moving around. I don't profess to be a Kingy Guru but I can normlaly hold my own and fill my esky on most occasions. No surface action anywhere either.

The 20 minute drive home with the boat on the trailer felt like 2 hours. Don't think it's happening in the Harbour yet unfortunately. I even ended up releasing two of the squid I had caught back into the kelp to be a Kingy candy for another day and maybe some good karma with the fishing Gods for the next trip.

Hey Guys, went out early Tuesday to try and start my Kingy campaign. Had plenty of squid in the tank early and so I thought things were looking pretty good. Man was I wrong. I tried everything, every marker, every reef, trolling, drifting, whole live squid, squid strips, berley.

Went outside up to Blue Fish Point. Did not even see a fish on the sounder. Was going to go to Long Reef but was getting low on fuel from all the moving around. I don't profess to be a Kingy Guru but I can normlaly hold my own and fill my esky on most occasions. No surface action anywhere either.

The 20 minute drive home with the boat on the trailer felt like 2 hours. Don't think it's happening in the Harbour yet unfortunately. I even ended up releasing two of the squid I had caught back into the kelp to be a Kingy candy for another day and maybe some good karma with the fishing Gods for the next trip.

Hi. Had the same problem last week. Any tips on where to get the squid. Been trying for ages and just cant get them.

The ups and downs of fishing, I always hate a session when you get really good live baits and there are no fish around to eat them!

Maybe the kings were keeping a 100m radius around your boat waiting for you to release your baits, so they could mock you! Lol I know the jewies do that to me when I'm fishing, keep trying mate you'll crack a big one!

Tight lines,

Shakeel

mate i was out on tuesday morning and experienced almost the exact same scenario as you did. Armed with yakkas and slimys, I didn't manage to locate any kings on the sounder and had no luck drifting and trolling the baits. Tried absolutely every marker/reef. I guess it's all about staying optimistic and being persistent, but i definitely feel your pain. It was dreadful.

You are in good company for what its worth. Spent Sunday in MH around the usual haunts, downrigged w squid at all depths, went to SH and a few km down coast and back. Lots of bait balls (LOTS !!!) arches all around them, then tried NH. Donuts all around. Water temp 23degC.

I think that's why its called fishing and not "harvesting". For me it was a 1hr drive home lost in my thoughts.

I have an android samsung galaxy s2 phone and I have downloaded a few apps, One is a fishing efficiency calender, another is a moon phase app and a tides app and I check fishraider daily and I have to say the reports are matching the efficiency readings this app is giving out!

It said Tuesday would be a shocker . . if anyone is interested I can post up some screen shots to show what I mean and what it shows.

I have an android samsung galaxy s2 phone and I have downloaded a few apps, One is a fishing efficiency calender, another is a moon phase app and a tides app and I check fishraider daily and I have to say the reports are matching the efficiency readings this app is giving out!

It said Tuesday would be a shocker . . if anyone is interested I can post up some screen shots to show what I mean and what it shows.

Let us know more about your view as I also went on Tues at the Harbour and got nothing apart from a small bream, a big leather jacket and a sergent baker.

Wednesday, I was fishing land based from Cremorne point, and there was a school repeatedly busting up the surface just east of

Kurraba Point (so between Cremorne and Kurraba points). I watched a guy drift his boat expertly amongst the school and have a great time.

But in just over an hour from shore at a great looking spot with a range of softies, I managed only one small flounder.

Edited by ginko

hey Marlin Rep, was that you in the blue Polycraft?

I was trolling a couple of lures along Nth Hd Tuesday morn (12' Quinnie) up to BFP. Nothin' happenning.

Drifted for a while along the front, two pinkies, small red rock cod, wrasse, one decent mowie (42cm) and a couple of big fat leatheries...

Moved in around Sow & Pigs approaching high tide, but nothing further to report.

Great day on the water anyway!!

Tight Lines guys!

G'day Guys,

Thanks for the replies. It's nice to know I wasn't the only one that did it tough and dragged a doughnut on Tuesday.

I guess we have been a little spoilt over the past few years with huge numbers of Kings in the Harbours well and truly by now. Hopefully they won't be to far away. Maybe some of these savage southerlies have delayed things this year.

Job - I will send you a PM with some squid info for you.

Motohead - No I wasn't in a blur Polycraft I was in a white 5.65m half cabin. Lucky I was alone and hadn't promised anyone a good days fishing.

Cheers all,

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year