Dilemma .. Which boat?

Kirst1583

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at buying my first boat and stuck on what would best suit! My head is swarming with info.

It's just my partner, myself and my puppy so have been looking at something around 4.5-5m.

We are hoping to buy brand new and aim to spend between $20 - $30 000.

So far I really like the look of the quintrex 481 coast runner.

Also tossing up the idea of a half/cuddy cabin because my partner doesn't fish and thinks it could be comfier at times to lay in there rather than just sit in the seat!

Any advice or suggestions would be most appreciated ;)

Oh yeah, damn.. Thought I had it all covered ;)

I'm more than happy just to explore rivers, bays and lakes. I've only been on a boat once (in my entire life), so it'll take a bit of getting used to.

I really just want something comfortable and stable that will get me into the better water and away from the crowds on land!

And the tow vehicle is a kj jeep cherokee, so don't think we will have any trouble at all with that aspect.

Perhaps a bow rider, has the front bow section that you can lounge around in.

Thanks for the reply. We were initially thinking of a bowrider but then decided we'd prefer some protection from the elements.

You do make a valid point though :)

Hey mate,

If you're new to boating I would go second hand first. There are a lot of things that you will learn on the water and maybe have little incidents like running aground, hitting a jetty or trailer etc. well that was me :P but you wouldn't feel as bad on a second hand boat.

If you are worried about having motor issues etc, just get a fairly modern one, second hand.

My opinion anyway. Good luck :)

Hey mate,

If you're new to boating I would go second hand first. There are a lot of things that you will learn on the water and maybe have little incidents like running aground, hitting a jetty or trailer etc. well that was me :P but you wouldn't feel as bad on a second hand boat.

If you are worried about having motor issues etc, just get a fairly modern one, second hand.

My opinion anyway. Good luck :)

Thanks :) If it were just me I definitely would but my partner has a stack of experience with all things boating (except being able to choose one). He will be handling all that and ill be doing the fishing ;)

We are now contemplating used though if we can get a good enough saving. Hopefully our money comes thru soon though cos I can't wait to get out on the water!

Kirst1583 From your previous post you have mentioned two key requirements

Also tossing up the idea of a half/cuddy cabin because my partner doesn't fish and thinks it could be comfier at times to lay in there rather than just sit in the seat!

I really just want something comfortable and stable

Others have mentioned Bowriders which are good boats , especially for family situations with kids on board also for being able to fish all around the boat but I don't think , even with a bimini cover it would be ideal if your partner wants to have a lie down.

So , at this point , your origional thought of a half cabin or cuddy cabin would be the best area to look.

As you will mainly be fishing enclosed waters I would suggest Aluminium as they are easier to tow & handle at the ramp especially, if on most outings , there is only the two of you.

Unfortunatly , there are not a lot of Aluminium half cabin / cuddy cabin around

For stabality , look at boats that have a low dead rise at the transom rather than a deep V. It may ride a bit harder but will have a lot less lean when at rest.

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

• Hi. First some tips to Kirst1583. bow rider should be good choise, or something for little cabin. That Price what you think, my choise would be some small Walk around boat, good spinning options, but still good weather cover under deck.

I have same kind choice "problem". I about know what i want, but i am not sure is it make sense?

First, i want boat for spinning, not for trolling. I want water skeen allso sometimes, so have to been option for that. Double console maby. Want to fishing lakes, but it is good if can use boat on sea coast too. 4.5m - 6m long, about 2m wide +-20cm , 40-100hp motor

That sea option is little bit unknow area for me. What have to notice when choise small boat for sea fishing, even coastal? V bottom and bottom angle, weight, something else? Spinning/synny deck would be good to be, and lot of open space.

I did found one "Made on Poland" boat, but i am little sceptic, because i did not find any details for floating things, or bottom angle, or speed, and i did not find any videos how that boat going on waves? http://www.darekco.eu/angielska/motorowe_16_ultra_440.html

Mate, my 20c worth after reading what you want describes my boat exactly. A haines hunter 470breeze. It has a cuddy cabin, 75hp mercury. I fish everywhere in it. Rivers, lakes and ocean and I also take the kids tubing and skiing behind it. The hull design is second to none and you wont find a more versitile boat anywhere. A second hand one about 2007 model will cost about 20k.

Would never trade my boat for anything. Good luck deciding.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Edited by Scratchie

Mate, my 20c worth after reading what you want describes my boat exactly. A haines hunter 470breeze. It has a cuddy cabin, 75hp mercury. I fish everywhere in it. Rivers, lakes and ocean and I also take the kids tubing and skiing behind it. The hull design is second to none and you wont find a more versitile boat anywhere. A second hand one about 2007 model will cost about 20k.

Would never trade my boat for anything. Good luck deciding.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks - I'll look into those ;) still waiting on my money anyway so not like I don't have time to decide lol