A lot of learning, persistence and patience pays of....1st legal Kingy

Whatacatch

Raiders - one of the great things about being in this virtual community is the incredible amount of knowledge you can pick up. That knowledge, particularly of squiding around the Harbour led to my squiding catch levels improve significantly. With this awesome delight in hand we headed off to several spots for kingies. I must admit it is a significant struggle putting great looking squid on a hook only to have the small snapper rip them to shreds. My logical side of the brain is thinking " Rich you have no idea about king fish. Take the squid home and have a good feed". Yet the passion overrides and we keep putting on the most delicious looking bait on our hooks. We came away from a couple of hours of being anchored across a few different spots with nothing to report. We then set up the down rigger and started working around the key spots fellow raiders have told me much about. It wasn't long before my rod buckles over and the line screams off. I grab it from the rod holder as I am thinking to myself "I hope this is legal". When the fish takes it's second run I have two key leanings. First- this is a legal Kingy and my heart starts pumping faster if that was possible. Second- i need to fix my Penn 850 ( the anti-reverse decided to pack it in). The second learning caused me all sorts if grief so with lots of clear water and no apparent snags I ease off on the drag a small amount to play the fish whilst keeping a strong hold of the handle. 10 minutes later I land my first legal Kingy coming in at 75cm. With much shouting and high fiving we put another delicious squid on the hook again but this time with less regret. Slowly head home and no further hits.

Yesterday we cook up the remaining two squid as an entree. Follow that with inredible kingfish sashimi and finally some beautiful medallions of Kingy on the BBQ - all washed down with a nice white wine.

A big thank you to all for sharing small snippets of information.

Struggling to upload the photo so with attach when I learn how.

Cheers

Rich

Great report, this is what fishraider is about. Years can be spent learning only a little about the elusive kingfish. The best thing to do is practice, practice, practice and fresh bait.

At 75cm it would have been a great fight too!

The water temp charts on the bom site is getting me exited and thinking that the really big kings are a real possibility if not now, in the near future.

Good luck with getting your next king and here's to hoping it pushes the 1m mark!

We're you inside or outside the harbour?

Onya Rich. Great stuff mate. That downrigger is a great tool. I totally get the dilemma over using squid but it is well worth the effort when you land your target species.

Hopefully we can catch up for a fish again soon