Last few weeks - Bass, Bream n' flatties!

rjc123

Haven't posted a report in a month or so. The fishing has been slow for me on the bream front in particular, but still managed some good fish. Plenty of Topwater action too!

My local has been fishing unusually slowly for the last few weeks unfortunately. Had to relocate to the Hawkesbury a few times resulting in a few good fish. Topwater was the go for Bream with half a dozen nice low 30's fish falling to the ever faithful Bassday Sugapen! Making the most of the topwater bite before winter sets in. A few nice flatties getting around too. Nothing much over 60cm but always good fun. No shortage of small EP's around too.. Managed my PB wild bass also. Came in at 43cm on the Z-man 3" Minnowz in "Bad Shad". The grubz has been doing the job on a few nice whiting too.

post-14949-0-74835700-1364030632_thumb.png

post-14949-0-70344000-1364030649_thumb.png

Just a quick one today, but good luck to all in the Pirtek Fishing Challenge tomorrow!

Cheers, Tom

Edited by mulloway man

Hi Mulloway Man,

As a new comer (last 18 months) to fishing I have to start by saying I thoroughly enjoy your posts. The spot where you are holding the bream that took the sugarpen looks awesome.

I don't suppose you would consider sharing it via PM or I would even love to tag along with you one day. I have a 4.3m twin hull boat but you look to be land based or in a Yak there?. I understand the work it takes to find good spots so all good if you want to keep it to yourself. Cheers

Take me too! I bit the bream SP bug.

Congrats on the PB for wild bass. Even low 30s for bream is excellent in my books! I don't know what you would define as slow but I was fishing Salt Pan today and I swear you can see a lot of big-ish fish near the surface just cruising. I'm guessing either mullet or bream. Didn't get any hookups but a few takes (I think I need to work on my striking). Always a lot of fish there. I reckon someone like you could do the damage there.

Cheers Guys,

Deanfish - Yeah no worries mate i'll let you in on it. But you can't get your boat up there.. Need a yak.

nbdshroom- I'd say they were mullet mate. They're everywhere at the moment! Big fish too... Not farmiliar with Salt Pan but sounds like a few good bream there... You'll smash them on the grubz for sure!

Got a few more perch and bream today. No big bream for the Pirtek :sleep:

Cheers, Tom

Great report, would you say the z-mans are generally good on bass?

For sure! The grubz in particular but the minnowz can get the better fish like this 43. You can attach the grubz and minnowz to a jig spinner to great effect! Over summer tiemco soft shell cicada's and Megabass sigletts are the go for surface bass.

Cracking bass there MM! And Great looking water your fishing in too. I hate the winter no surface popping stretch, it does my head in.....also love my sugar pens, great all round surface lure for bream, bass and whiting.....if there is a big flatty in the area too they will give it crack, but you might need to change your undies after the explosive surface strike.

Cracking bass there MM! And Great looking water your fishing in too. I hate the winter no surface popping stretch, it does my head in.....also love my sugar pens, great all round surface lure for bream, bass and whiting.....if there is a big flatty in the area too they will give it crack, but you might need to change your undies after the explosive surface strike.

Funny you say that, had a 90+ flatty have a crack at the sugapen in knee deep water over my local whiting flats. When i went over to investigate it looked like shovel nose! Would never have landed her or 1-2kg gear and 4lb anyway i guess...

Cheers, Tom

Nice work Tom great little report there! Love the big bass the most :)

However to both you an poddy, stop terrorizing my brain with thought of the winter surface lure hiatus! Hahaha, I don't know what you both are talking about though I am still getting good bass on surface lures (soft shells and sigletts for those wanting to know) and chubbies so until that stops I won't believe your lies!

<br />Nice work Tom and congratulations on your well deserved PB!<br /><br />Any particular reasons why the surface lures are less effective in winter?<br /><br />Well done and keep up the tremendous work.<br /><br />Many thanks and all the best.<br /><br />Ian<br /><br />

Nice work Tom great little report there! Love the big bass the most :)

However to both you an poddy, stop terrorizing my brain with thought of the winter surface lure hiatus! Hahaha, I don't know what you both are talking about though I am still getting good bass on surface lures (soft shells and sigletts for those wanting to know) and chubbies so until that stops I won't believe your lies!

Don't know how i'll survive without it over winter... To make matters worse, stumbled across some awesome new big whiting flats the other day... Will have to capitalise in the next few weeks before they go quiet :thumbdown:

And Ian, generally the cooler water shuts the fish down a bit. It slows their metabolism right down. You can still get the odd fish on surface but no where near as productive as the warmer months.

Cheers, Tom

About the only things that makes up for the hiatus is the sambo and jumbo tailor schools that turn up, but you can tend to loose a popper or two to these tooth critters. If you spec up your leader and use a larger popper they can't get too far in their gob its normally ok.