Squidless

Kooks

Hey all,

I've been doing some early mornings trying to get some squid but I've caught none. I've tried 3 times for nothing. Usually I snag at least a couple. Am I losing my mojo? I'm land based and I've tried various wharves in the east and around balmain. I've even headed down to the hacking..all for naught.

How's everyone else fairing? I spoke to a charter skipper and he said he's been struggling too? What gives?

Mate we've been having some good squid sessions but try the deeper water and we've been getting good squid at spots we weren't getting any last year so just keen trying heaps of spots.

What jigs are you using? I've got a warm jacket yamashata jig in pink but the one that's working really well at the moment is a yozuri lumo in pink glow in the dark one I bought last year.

Had a big bust off (had my drag set too tight) first time I've had a squid try and take me straight back into the weed, caught a few other big ones after that but I reckon that one was pretty solid.

Yeh I've got some new Yamas as I've lost a few on the bottom. I got one with "live" warm jackets. I got one in orange cloth with a glow and another "live" jacket in a natural prawn colour.

I'm not to sure where to go to get deeper. Most of the spots I work are between 1-4 meters. I'll have to have a think about that.

Been getting alot in 5-10m and just giving plenty of sink time to the jigs, using 1.5 and 2.5 jigs still good results. What leader are you using ? I was using 10lb fluro carbon my mate had no leader and no hookups at all so might have something to do with that if your running mono?

Mate we've been having some good squid sessions but try the deeper water and we've been getting good squid at spots we weren't getting any last year so just keen trying heaps of spots.

What jigs are you using? I've got a warm jacket yamashata jig in pink but the one that's working really well at the moment is a yozuri lumo in pink glow in the dark one I bought last year.

Had a big bust off (had my drag set too tight) first time I've had a squid try and take me straight back into the weed, caught a few other big ones after that but I reckon that one was pretty solid.

there are some big squid out there thats for surepost-8352-0-00012700-1364799412_thumb.jpg

Kooks

Some good info here already.

Another technique I like to use is a double jig rig. Gives the squid options. Sometimes they go for both or sometimes they like to share :D

In this photo I used a half pink&glow and a natural coloured Yamashita Naory 2.2 caught around sunrise in clearish water around 3.5 m deep.

post-1553-0-82942000-1364863560_thumb.jpg

But you'd probably need to work out how snaggy/strong the weeds are in the area first otherwise it could be an expensive exercise.

I also use this chart by Yamashita as a guide to what colour jigs might work and in which areas. An example would be the Georges River, I squidded at night in some strong current in murky water with that green (BLGKO) jig and got quite a few hits.

post-1553-0-48144100-1364863775_thumb.gif

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Paul