Laughing at bonito!

Scratchie

Headed out today with one of the relo's and decided to troll for something big! As we ventured out the heads the swell was much bigger than predicted. So time to change tact and make the trip more comfortable for the brother in law. Knowing he's never really caught a big fish before or been in the ocean for that matter, I chose to just troll some small skirts around big and little island. After 20mins of trolling I was approaching my Bonnie spot and said to the inlaw getting ready. 5 seconds later, zzzzzz were on!

So I picked the rod out and handed it to my inlaw and for his first ever decent fish I though it would be a great fight for him if I backed off the drag!! Oh the smile on his face as he winded it in. It should have taken a minute on 50lb line but with the drag set light the 7min fight was great! On the inside I was laughing but the pleasure it gave the inlaw was priceless. We worked the spot for a total of 40min and managed 5 bonito and I didn't even wind the reel. But the feeling of getting the inlaws onto the fish of a lifetime for them was priceless!post-24974-0-20844700-1365236209_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to heading out tomorrow to use them bonnies! It was really hard to explain that they were going to be my bait and not for eating! Lol.....

Cheers scratchie!!!

Edited by Scratchie

Well done mate. It is good to get a relo onto fish.

Bib lures or metals?

Nah, used two small skirts. It was great watching them actually hit them. I was trolling with 3 rods but thought my tyrnos 50 was overkill. Lol

Cheers scratchie!!!

Nice, did the same with my old man. He is 62 and biggest fish prior was a bream!

How wide are you going tomorrow?

We are heading out from Botany. We are 2-0 this season on the marlin, hopefully tomorrow is THE day!

ng out from Botany. We are 2-0 this season on the marlin, hopefully tomorrow is THE day!

Nice, did the same with my old man. He is 62 and biggest fish prior was a bream!

How wide are you going tomorrow?

The plan is to head 10km wide from the light and troll north to broughton! There's been heaps of little blacks in the area.

Fingers crossed!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Nice looking bonnies! they must have screamed off on light drag!

Yeah they did.... I felt a bit cruel but watching him reel it in was great. With the right drag setting on the rods I was using might have been a bit underwhelming!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Well done scrathie, have ever tried onito sashimi? Taste great

Hey groper! Nah never tried sashimi from bonito!

I have kingfish, salmon and yft. Just not a big fan of bonito. But they make great bait. I always pick up 5 or 6 at the end of each trip.

Cheers scratchie!