Updated my Beach Jew PB record 6/4/2013

wchh

Had a 4-hour session last night on the beach. Started solo from 6PM and two friends joined @ 7:20pm. I caught 2 tailors before my friends arrived. Decided to cut up the smaller one into fillet baits. Within 10 minutes after my friends arrived, landed another big 50 cm tailor. Spirit was high. Then at around 9:00 pm, I pulled in the 91 cm jewfish, turned out to be the biggest jewfish I caught in the last 3 years. This gave me the chance to update my Beach Jew PB from 75cm to 91 cm. The fish weighed about 7kg.

post-11759-0-37750800-1365294857_thumb.jpg

Charles

Cheers

Edited by ABCfisho

Top catch. Jewy looks at home, resting on that stool.

Want to give a hint as to which beach? I work at Narrabeen. Could do an early morning session before work, if close enough.

I heard of Narrabeen is a very good beach for fishing. All northern beaches are good as a matter of fact, I fished Mona Vale beach last night.

Great work - I was in two minds whether to go tonight but after reading your report I am definitely going Dave

Hi Dave, I have never been two minded whenever I had the chance. Too bad I have to go to work tomorrow. We had the beach to ourselves last night; you may find it packed tonight though! But good luck and the condition looked superb

Charles

Good going Charles great effort. I spent last year targeting jew of the northern beaches with a fishing guide did about 10 trips never got even a run .Did you catch the tailor on ganged hooks?. Was your jew rig a double hook rig with a fillet of tailor as bait?

cheers steve

Edited by slam354

I made it out there last night - there were some guys in the spot I fancies when I got there so I had a walk along the beach to the pipe. It was quite snaggy but managed 3 school sharks and on the last cast with a whole squid hooked something reasonable that did me on the snags. All up a beautiful evening, I will be back for that Jew!

Dave

Nice jewie man! What beach were you fishing at if you don't mind me asking, you can inbox if you do not want to advertise it publicly. Otherwise if you can suggest places that would be great.

Hi Steve,

Did not make to reply you last night as I was reading your post from my phone.

When I target tailor, I do not use ganged hook as I found the hooks too clumsy to handle. I simply at the end of the normal leader use a section of about 10cm nylon coated wire leader and a single 3/0~6/0 suicide hook. I use the 40 lb wire leader and never got bitten off, though the nylon coating sometimes peels under the dentures of the tailors. By the way, I also catch my bream, flathead and salmon using this setup and the short section of the wire leader does not seem to deter the bites from those fish either.

As the jewfish rigs, I now came down to use single 6/0~8/0 hook on 1~1.5 meter of 60 lb leader rather than double hook. The reason being when I used to use double hooks, I had numerous worn leaders (60lb) and lost fish after about 1~2 minutes into the fighting. I knew it was not shark as those guys will bite you off straight away. I could only attribute the leader failure to the fish being hook with the bait keeping (top) hook and the broken end of the eyelet of the hook wore the leader away. I did try to rig the top bait-keeping-hook with a plastic sleeve, but with so many bitten off from the sharks, I just needed a simple and quick way to re-rig. For similar reason, I avoid Snell knots on my eyed suicide hooks and using the improved clinch knot only.

Jew fishing is a indeed a game of endurance. I myself have put a lot of hours into it and just started to have some inconsistent success.

Charles

Good going Charles great effort. I spent last year targeting jew of the northern beaches with a fishing guide did about 10 trips never got even a run .Did you catch the tailor on ganged hooks?. Was your jew rig a double hook rig with a fillet of tailor as bait?

cheers steve

I made it out there last night - there were some guys in the spot I fancies when I got there so I had a walk along the beach to the pipe. It was quite snaggy but managed 3 school sharks and on the last cast with a whole squid hooked something reasonable that did me on the snags. All up a beautiful evening, I will be back for that Jew! Dave

Hi Dave,

Good on you for making the trip.

About 60 meters south of the pipe there is a gap about 40 meters that is snag free. Anywhere 60 meters north of the pipe should also be snag free. I caught one shovel nose, one banjo as well that day. I guess that is part of night time fishing.

Thanks for the reply Charles.Are you tying the hooks properly.Where you using a sliding snell rig or 2 fixed snell rigs.When i was fishing with Alex bellisimo he exclusively used the sliding snell rig and never had any issues using octopus hooks twin 7/O and landing sharks but with biteoffs also.I know if the rig is not tied properly there can be rig failure.thanks for the info.