Back of North Head - Help Needed

bylsmc

Evening all,

Was fishing the night of Saturday 6th April in the late evening. Headed out from Northbridge on a 4.7 Stegi and over to Balmoral bait grounds for a selection of Yakkas.

From here we went to the back of Northhead and had a quality session. Caught dozens of Tailor, a few baby snapper and a nice Yellowtail Bream but the most interesting part occurred about 10:30pm.

We had a Pilchard cube down and had been sitting on it for about 5 mins with no bites. As we prepared for a rod changed began to wind in something hit the bait and headed out towards New Zealand. Ran at full speed for about 15 seconds while we were trying to get ourselves together again. It paused for about 5 seconds as we adjusted the drag up and as we began to wind it ran again. Again it ran for about 15 seconds before it bit the line through.

We were fishing with a Sz 9 Bigmouth hook on a 20lb line.

We have never had anything that big and was stunned it ran out of the heads rather than to the rocks.

Any ideas as to what it may have been?

Will be heading back there on Friday week so hope for a repeat performance and maybe this time finding what it is!

Any fisho worth their weight in knowledge will tell you it was a shark. Very characteristic of them to pause.. It's not a Jew and its not a tailor.. To run take a break and bite you off without reefing you it's a Noah

Edited by brettmann

I've been chasing the little bronzie's down Cronulla way, everyone I have caught has ran hard for 10 seconds then stopped for a few seconds. Most have then swam towards me after that.

Sounds exactly like a little bitey

Any fisho worth their weight in knowledge will tell you it was a shark. Very characteristic of them to pause.. It's not a Jew and its not a tailor.. To run take a real and bite you off without reeding you it's a Noah

Agree with brettmann, my money's on a shark!!!

Cheers scratchie!!!

In my experience, circle hooks are best if you want to land the sharks. They tend to hook just outside the teeth, and so prevent bite-offs. Even 80lb leader is no match for a shark's bite, so best to keep the hooks and leader outside the teeth.