I love eating chips and catching fish...

dhype

Hi Raiders

Been too busy eating chips, taking newbies out in my boat, drinking Pepsi, taking newbies out in my boat, watching swamp people, taking newbies out in my boat, getting fat and taking newbies out in my boat... and as a result have not posted a thing in weeks!

Have fished mainly out to the Bay and Georges in recent weeks and it has been pretty sh1t... nothing special.... However one day that does stand out happened about 2 weeks ago..

Did solo trip as i have no friends and launched polycraft @ an early 9:30am... motored out from foreshore ramp no more than 100m when I saw a few birds flying overhead... bird = fish ?

Switched on the little TV on dash and saw this!

post-10545-0-92779500-1366199213_thumb.jpg

They turned out to a massive school/s of small pilchards... there were acres of them just below the surface.... small fish = bigger fish ?

As they say , match the hatch and that's what i did.. out came the chrome slices and the fish started flying into the boat none stop of hours!

post-10545-0-79243700-1366199226_thumb.jpg

Pilchard taking a surface metal lure! Or is that a metal taking a pilchard?

Was getting normally "bottom dwelling" fish smashing the chrome lure worked quickly across the surface! (there were millions of pelagic too)

post-10545-0-71344500-1366199249_thumb.jpg

Jews taking a surface metal lure!

post-10545-0-40853000-1366199748_thumb.jpg

post-10545-0-41608400-1366199779_thumb.jpg

Flatties taking a surface metal lure!

post-10545-0-63799000-1366199305_thumb.jpg

Thousands of Travs

post-10545-0-76919800-1366199734_thumb.jpg

post-10545-0-74840400-1366199314_thumb.jpg

post-10545-0-08733800-1366199806_thumb.jpg

Millions of Salmon

post-10545-0-71955300-1366199763_thumb.jpg

Trillions of Bonnies

post-10545-0-81640600-1366199792_thumb.jpg

post-10545-0-03260400-1366199425_thumb.jpg

and more Jews!

Even had a few bream on the metal slices!

Great thing was there was hardly any "surface action" activity so all the boat leaving the ramp just zipped right past.. more or less had the entire patch of fish for myself for hours!

If i stayed long enough i reckon i would have bagged out on every species of fish there... it was that plentiful!

Took a few home for the family...

post-10545-0-35126000-1366199239_thumb.jpg

post-10545-0-22905600-1366199243_thumb.jpg

Once my arms got tired I went and found plenty of squid too!

post-10545-0-97548100-1366199817_thumb.jpg

All up it was a great day out in the Bay... all this in sight of the boat ramp!

Everything caught on a SR201 + Stella 1000 loaded with 4lb... zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.. oh the fun...

Now...back to eating some salt and vinegar chips + waste more money online on useless fishing gear...

post-10545-0-99007300-1366200199.jpg post-10545-0-88939100-1366201372_thumb.jpg

YUM an YUM

Trung

Edited by dhype

With reports like these, it is no wonder you end up taking out so many newbies! I didn't know metal slices were such an 'all-rounder' lure. Especially since you got more than one jew on a surface-worked slice, it goes to show they aren't as lazy as their reputation makes them out to be.

That's crazy stuff!

Jews on surface metals?!?!?!

Occasionally you get jew busting up schools of mullet and the likes but mainly in estuaries... Would have been a great sight!

Cheers, Tom

A great catch there. It shows that not all flatties are lazy buggers just sitting on the bottom. When the food is available, they will swim around just like the tailor and other pelagics.

With reports like these, it is no wonder you end up taking out so many newbies! I didn't know metal slices were such an 'all-rounder' lure. Especially since you got more than one jew on a surface-worked slice, it goes to show they aren't as lazy as their reputation makes them out to be.

Metal slices did all the damage that day... from bream to flatties to jews... throw away your soft plastics!

I was too suprised when i pulled in the jews... they were just boofing the surface like a barra... there must have been a school working the surface as there were boofs everywhere

Now that's a good days fishing.

How was the wind? I didn't go out because of the forecast.

This session was 2 weeks ago and conditions were perfect.. this weekend is gonna be sh1thouse - gonna stay home and watch Home and Away reruns.

christ thats a good haul......

I dream of a session like that

I am a chip eating pepsi drinking newb...Take me out on your boat!! lol for a session like that I would buy you five cases !

You better cut back on the chips/pepsi intake or you will get fat like me and have to end up going to the gym instead of fishing!

WTF Flatties on a chrome slice? and Jews? Impressive. BTW nice TV are they better than the Lowrance? Did you get rid of your lowrance?

As a sounder, the Furuno makes the Lowrance look like a toy! I do not use the HDS as a sounder anymore... its only duties is GPS + instrumentation which it does a decent job with. Both like happily side by side.

BTW - thanks for those yakkas the other day... they were untouched on the downrigger but our only massive squid got smashed in 30 seconds... it was funny seeing a newbie getting OWNED by a big kingfish... he was getting punished all around the boat, the fish reefed him in the end but funny to watch!

damn you trung thats an awesome session. especially the jew! the salmon on the 1000 reel would have sounded AWESOME!

Tell you what the little reel did get a work out... might have too book it in for a service!

You did extremely well. Good karma coming back at you for taking all them newbys out.

cheers

thanks mate - I think I have been taking more ppl out lately then Scotty L in his green boat!

I need more good karma!

Edited by dhype

Trung !

What a catch mate.

The only reason I don't fish for these fish is that if I brought home a catch of trevs, tailor, kings, salmon and bonnies, I would get the Clint Eastwood squint look.

They just don't like eating them and I won't take fish I'm not gonna eat and I can't bring myself to catch'n'release.

If I brought back a feed of jew, flatties and squid though, I would get the Marilyn Monroe look from the missus...

I know which look I'd rather get...

Well done also for taking out so many newbies, but I reckon you just wanna see them get owned and have a wicked little chuckle eh ?

Probably take secret footage of it and post to face tube or something...

Just kidding mate - I take my hat off to you...

But just the hat....OK ? :harhar:

Tony

Edited by Keflapod

That looks ridiculous, what size metals were you using?
[

It was just a $5 halco 15g slice... I do upgrade the hooks on all my metals.

want to take me out?

mmmmmm.... there may be money making venture here.... BBC Charters.. :)

Trung !

What a catch mate.

The only reason I don't fish for these fish is that if I brought home a catch of trevs, tailor, kings, salmon and bonnies, I would get the Clint Eastwood squint look.

They just don't like eating them and I won't take fish I'm not gonna eat and I can't bring myself to catch'n'release.

If I brought back a feed of jew, flatties and squid though, I would get the Marilyn Monroe look from the missus...

I know which look I'd rather get...

Well done also for taking out so many newbies, but I reckon you just wanna see them get owned and have a wicked little chuckle eh ?

Probably take secret footage of it and post to face tube or something...

Just kidding mate - I take my hat off to you...

But just the hat....OK ? :harhar:

Tony

Tony... Have you tried the humble trav, bonnies, kings and yakkas sashimi ? If not you are missing out!

( add to the above platter sashimi squid......drool... ). I don't eat much fish but what I do eat is more or less sashimi only.

Aussie salmon however = sh1t and these always go back... I don't even want to touch them cuz they smell that bad!

Mate, we still need to hook up for a few sessions. Sorry but I have been a slack ar8e but let's make it happen soon. You can show me how to use bait and ill show you lures... Sorted! Speak soon.

Trung

Jesus it looks like there wasn't much slack during that session ! Pretty uncommon to get that many species the same day on the same lure !

All down to luck...right place @ the right time?