Mulloway Mayhem - Georges River (17/04/2013)

Paul

Hey Raiders

After losing 2 big runs on Tuesday night (spat and lost hook), I was even more determined to catch my first jewie so headed again on Wednesday night with fellow raider Zephi and his brother on our yaks about 3 hours from the top of the tide. Anchored up from the front and sent a livie out and while I was sorting something out on the yak, the reel started screaming. Left it for about 10 seconds before I tightened the drag a bit which didn't work out too well as my anchor stopped holding and my yak started getting towed backwards. Trying to figure out what was at the end of my line, wondering where I was getting towed and how far I was getting towed whilst trying to reach for my net was all a bit hectic at the time. At first I thought it was a ray, but as I was able to reel some line in without as much effort as previous rays caught, I knew I could be onto my first jewie. After a 5 minute fight, getting towed backwards for 20m and finally being able to get my net, I landed my first ever jewie coming in at 94cm and 6.9kg.

I had work the next day so had to leave almost straight after, but not before giving up my spot to the brothers where they dropped a line and pulled up a mid 80s jewie shortly after. As I was making my way back, Alan AKA A.Dawg AKA Jewie Master had arrived after finishing work. He and the brothers caught quite a few more jewies between them, mostly in the 80s and a few soapies among them. They kept a few for a feed and threw a few back. I think Alan's caught 20+ jewies in the past 2 weeks, tough life!

Also on the way back, Quintrex480 was fishing landbased and got himself a fat 30cm bream.

Here are some of the pics from the night. Enjoy!

Cheers

Paul

post-1553-0-62608200-1366330894_thumb.jpg

post-1553-0-62973200-1366351434_thumb.jpg

post-1553-0-94807200-1366330896_thumb.jpg

post-1553-0-22618300-1366330899_thumb.jpg

post-1553-0-39391400-1366330901_thumb.jpg

post-1553-0-05823000-1366330902_thumb.jpg

post-1553-0-29042300-1366330903_thumb.jpg

post-1553-0-27195900-1366330904_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul

mate! well done!!! and 94cm for a first jewie is bloody awesome! well deserved for the persistence you have put in buddy!

think next time, I will definitely join you on the yak out there, stuff land based, lost count of how many times I had to re-tie the gear after the snags.

awesome work

seems the jewies have come on alot in the past week or two

after 2 months of no jews, my dads landed 7 in the past 3 sessions at the entrance

his friends even landed a few with one around 1.1m

Top effort on your first jewie! I'm looking forward to the cold nights, hot coffee and waiting for that reel to screeeeeeam!

I was out on the Georges last Sunday night with my son on our boat and got interrupted by the water police. :busted_cop:

They came next to us at the wrong time.

The result? we got busted off! Oh well, this Sunday night we'll try again!

J

Top effort on your first jewie! I'm looking forward to the cold nights, hot coffee and waiting for that reel to screeeeeeam!

I was out on the Georges last Sunday night with my son on our boat and got interrupted by the water police. :busted_cop:

They came next to us at the wrong time.

The result? we got busted off! Oh well, this Sunday night we'll try again!

J

Bummer mate. Always get ya at the worst times.

Any joy on Sunday night?

Great catch boys... I can see a flood of ppl swamping the George's ( me included ) Thanks for the report :)

Hopefully not too many. See ya around Trung. Leave the metal slices at home :)

Hi Paul,

Congrats on the jewie sounds like it was a great session had by all. Check your PM box as I have sent you a message.

Mr Squid

No problems mate, I'll let you know. Now that I've got the jewie monkey off my back, my focus is shifting back to large squid if you're keen on that .

Great fish guys, got me pumped to get back out there and upgrade from the 80cm PB I got a few weeks back!

Good luck mate, get out there and upgrade!

Congrats on PB jew. That's huge!. Do you use an anchor on the yak or just drifting around?

Thanks Tony, I anchored up but was lucky not many boats around at the time or things could have gotten very messy. I need a quick release system which I'm looking into.

pretty sure seen u boys out there I was in the yellow runabout anchored up in front of use

Maybe the boys. My night sessions don't last too long, but I'll keep an eye out for a yellow boat :)

Bummer mate. Always get ya at the worst times.

Any joy on Sunday night?

Hi Paul

No Joy last Sunday. Forgot that it was my nephews birthday.

Tomorrow is another story though. I will be there hopefully without the interruption of the water police.

Epic mate...that has inspired me to get out and do some night fishing in my yak...need to deck it out with lights first...and some outriggers, the seat is so comfy in my Jackson I am terrified I am going to fall asleep and tip out!