jewfish hot spot

Adam Chef

Hi everyone,

I just came back from fishing and im verry happy and upset at once.

I was targeting Jewfish for verry long time (8-10mounths), and today finaly happened.

A week ago i have bot a little dinghy for fishing to improve my chanses

post-19995-0-56122500-1367661997_thumb.jpg

So today i went, anchore in the water, fresh squid on the hook, 2pm, 30minuts later first one (relised)

post-19995-0-72681600-1367662078_thumb.jpg

such a greate moment when you catch your first jewfish! (relised)

After maby 20-30 minuts later again

post-19995-0-42116300-1367662127_thumb.jpg

similar size, i cot one more in next 1hour (dinner)

And later happend something what maked me crazy, bite bite, strike and run of my live!!! JEW took almost all line from the spool, spool was empty maby couple meters of line left when stopped, i menaged to bring the fish maby half way before the second run, this time shorter, my arm in pain but adrenalin pumping, im trying to do not rush, presher on, study and slowly im bringing fish closer and closer to the boat, finaly i can see the fish and is HUGE!!! what happend next is the nightmare, just next to the boat my jewfish did last run and line snapped!!! how uppseting!!! all fight took me arround 20-25 minutes on 12lbs leader with line 20lbs.

i thing comparing to the boat fish was arroung 1,5m.

3 jew fish one the boat and one huge one almost in in one day! :)

All happened next to the kissing point

I hope weather is going to be nice becouse i have to go back there i catch this big one!

Edited by Adam Chef

Well done on your first.

It's the worst when you see the fish lose. Having said that it's not much fun getting spooled either. Happened a couple times to me.

The big ones are what keep us coming back!

Cheers, Tom

Did the line break or did the leader break, and were you using mono or braid?

If it was me, I would be using 20 pound mono all the way to the hook. Should not affect the bites. Dropping down to a 12 pound trace effectively means your 20 pound line is only good for 12 pound strength.

There are some good mono lines on the market, such as Sufix brand from Finland, that are thinner than normal diameter mono. BCF stores have this brand at 20% off at present.

If you were using braid, then 20 pound mono trace.

Did the line break or did the leader break, and were you using mono or braid?

If it was me, I would be using 20 pound mono all the way to the hook. Should not affect the bites. Dropping down to a 12 pound trace effectively means your 20 pound line is only good for 12 pound strength.

There are some good mono lines on the market, such as Sufix brand from Finland, that are thinner than normal diameter mono. BCF stores have this brand at 20% off at present.

If you were using braid, then 20 pound mono trace.

The leader break :)

and thank you for advice

yesterday after work (1.30pm) i get to the spot i pulled one more (small) maybe arround 50cm and one lost but was small as well.

But spot is good, im going there now if somebody want to join me please let me know :) i will be there all day long

Congratulations Adam. Well done on your hard earned first Jews. I am sure you have now noticed that they are unlike any other estuary species down south here... I'm afraid to say that nothing will come close to it in an estuary for quite a while now (speaking from experience hehehe) until you get onto a monster rogue hoodie who is a little bit lost. So tell me, did you hook the fish or did they hook you? ;)