Hastings river Jew 10/05/2013

one fishes

Hi all, went chasing jew on friday night with some success. Started off chasing some live bait which was a bit hard to come by managed 4 poddy mullet and 1 taylor in about an hour and a half as the sun was going down.

Got to the spot and anchored up for the patience game. The goal was to be at the spot and fish an hour either side of the high tide at 9pm. We had done the same thing about 1 month ago where i was towled up by a very large jew stripping at least 150m of 15kg braid on its 1st run in what seemed like 2 sec's and on the second run it popped me with its tell tale head shakes as it went, So this time it was round 2.

The night was slow with very little surface activity and very dark with no moon and after waiting for what seemed like a very long 3.5hrs and right at the top of the tide one of the poddy mullet started to get a little excited. I picked up the rod and let what ever it was mouth it for a minute before it started to run off with the bait firmly down its throat then i struck.

At first it didnt realise it was hooked and seemed like a mediocre fish until it saw the boat and off it went, after about a 10-15min battle on 15kg braid it was on board, a nice and healthy 128cm and around 20kg river jew. We stayed for about an hour after this fish but there was no other action to be seen.

post-8874-0-20800300-1368313398_thumb.jpgpost-8874-0-33188700-1368313419_thumb.jpgpost-8874-0-27508600-1368313441_thumb.jpgpost-8874-0-47560100-1368313474_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the kind replies, i will be sure to post more reports in the very near future, but cant fish for the next week as im down here in Sydney doing a job out at south windsor and left the fishing gear at home. I think in about 2 weeks with a bit more moon we might just give it another crack as im after the 1 that absolutly smoked me on 15kg about a month ago. I tell you all how round 3 goes ding ding ding :whip:

I love a story like that! Congrats on a fabulous fish after a well planned hunt and good luck on catching the beast that smoked you because it sounds like twice the size!. Great looking fish btw!