Sydney Harbour/Middle Harbour Got to love Autumn...

dwan8337

Hi Raiders,

Sunday was an absolutely beautiful day to be out on the water with your best mates. The bonus? well of course getting onto some well deserved Kingfish action after a long week of 9-5 of whatever they call it these days. oh yer... Work :puke: disgusting 4 letter word.

We started the morning collecting some yellow-tail inside middle harbour close to Tunks park. Loaded up on livies we motored around to clifton gardens and started the burley trail. Not long after, first mate Adrian pointed out that we were marking some big fish underneath the boat. I decided to have a bit of fun and chucked out a livie on his 2-5kg stick matched a stradic 2500. Down went the livie and within moments the drag starts singing, Adrian picked up the rod only this time didn't set it straight away. He knew he had ample time as there was no structure where we were. Plus he wanted the added fun in bringing in something that just took out 50m of braid. Knows how to get the most bang for his buck; shrewd bugger if you ask me :074: Around 8 seconds later, he lifted the rod up gently but firmly allowing the fish to hook itself and the fight was on! I directed our apprentice Shen to drop the anchor while i started the engine ready for the chase. After a series of "back up back up", "forward forward", "neutral"....the Kingfish measuring a respectable 75cm was on deck with hi-5's all round. Truth is, he probably would have landed the fish without dropping anchor or motoring after it. However, after all agreeing to watching several episodes of Wicked Tuna Season 2 previously during the week, this had to be done :mfr_lol:

Back to where we first started, the burley trail started again. Luckily the school didn't move too far and before long we were on again, only this time Shen tested out his baitrunner 4000D with his jewel snapper outfit. Adrian had dropped the anchor and we motored after this one again with Shen standing on the casting deck. Boy did that fish dish out some hurt on this baitrunner/jewel combo. 5 minutes later, wrists sore, back aching, another king on board. This time it measured 76cm. By the time we motored back to where we burleyed, the fish had moved on, and so did we.

Middle harbour was where we planned to finish the day off. Autumn, Winter you'll find some very decent kings lurky around sugarloaf etc. so that's where we headed. Anchored up and out goes the burley cubes and livies. Half an hour later the sounder went berzerk, there was literally markings all throughout the water column. I lost count on how many kings we landed. Most memorable was where I managed to hook up and bring one in on a surface lure. We kept two for the dinner table and the rest were released. Can't wait for this weekend :banana: Oh i forgot to mention there were a few stonker bream mixed in there as well the biggest measuring 40cm.

post-17226-0-11965400-1368506874_thumb.jpg

post-17226-0-34277400-1368507692_thumb.jpg

post-17226-0-78832900-1368507708_thumb.jpg

Top stuff mate!

Looks like they might hopefully hang around a bit later seeing as they were very late to arrive this year. Sugarloaf's always a good area to look for them... Had some awesome topwater sessions with bonnies on light gear until mr king comes along and makes the 1-2 gear smoke...

How big did you get them too? Was 76 the biggest?

Cheers, Tom

Top stuff mate!

Looks like they might hopefully hang around a bit later seeing as they were very late to arrive this year. Sugarloaf's always a good area to look for them... Had some awesome topwater sessions with bonnies on light gear until mr king comes along and makes the 1-2 gear smoke...

How big did you get them too? Was 76 the biggest?

Cheers, Tom

I suspect alot of them stick around during winter after they come in past the spit bridge in summer. There's enough yakka schools that stick around to support a few small kingy schools over the winter months. yer 70-76 would be the norm

I suspect alot of them stick around during winter after they come in past the spit bridge in summer. There's enough yakka schools that stick around to support a few small kingy schools over the winter months. yer 70-76 would be the norm

Too true.

I managed a legal king in june last year up the back of Middle Harbour (roseville). Hooked multiple kings that day that i couldn't stop. I've heard quite a few hang around in Bantry Bay over winter. It makes sense about them being at roseville though. The water generally stays a bit warmer up there than further downstream. Plenty of yakkas and a few squid to keep them going.

Cheers, Tom

Well done Gents,

Are you cubing pillies about thumb size.

Yer there's cubes in trail all sizes, i go smaller don't want to feed them. Given the water isn't too deep i think smaller size cubes sink slower and stay in the opfkfpo longer