1 week at wisemans ferry

tide'n'knots

gday raiders, I just got back from a weeks camping and fishing at wisemans ferry and the fishing was pretty good. I arrived on saturday afternoon and finally finished setting up camp around 10 at night, had dinner and a shower then crawled into my electric blanket ( gotta love powered tent sites!) for an early morning session. Got up at 5.30 and after a quik cuppa and some toast I was on the water just as the sun was rising and set off with great anticipation. The tide was right on the turn and there was no run in the water for the first hour and a half but finally around 8 am the tide started to get a nice slow run and the bites started coming. I could only fish until 9.30 because I had to meet the family at the wisemans park by the ferry for mothers day but I managed 4 very nice flathead in the last hour and a half. On sunday afternoon when the family duties were over I headed out for another bash and fished from just on dark until around ten at night picking up another 3 good flathead and a jew around the 60cm mark. monday was a sleep in and I waited for my good mate dave to arrive who I havent seen for quite a while and he was coming to spent 1 night and come fishing with me for a chance to catch up. Dave has never caught a fish in his life and anyone who has fished with dave never catches any either - including me in the past. in fact he tells everybody that he carries a fishing curse, but that was about to change in a big way. As I was waiting for Dave my mate Joe wizzed passed in his boat so I whistled him over and found out that he was going to spend the next 2 nights in his boat fishing so I told him I would see him on the water when dave arrived. Dave arrived at 3pm and after a quick chat and a bit of organising we were on the water and fishing around 4.30pm half an hour after we arrived and dave landed a beautiful flathead and yelled out with excitment - THE CURSE IS BROKEN! in the next couple of hours we managed another 3 flatties when suddenly around 9 o'clock daves rod buckles and screams off zzzzzzzzzz. I picked up his rod and struck hard and came up solid on a very good fish then handed the rod to dave. Words cant describe the thrill I got watching him fight this fish, his eyes were lit up the size of a dinner plate and you couldnt smack the smile from his face.It took off up current at one stage and I feared it would swim around the anchor rope so I said to dave - go hard on it dave dont let it go around the rope, to which he replied I cant its pulling line from the reel! A few anxious minutes later and the fish decided to finally do the right thing and head down current to the back of the boat where it proceeded to swim under my rods so I took the rod from dave and weaved it past the rods to the opposite side of the boat and when I went to hand the rod back dave said - no you land it pete its almost in now, so a few minutes later a beautiful 14 pound slab of silver was lying on the floor.p>post-8689-0-89586700-1368924535_thumb.jpg

post-8689-0-85621600-1368924548_thumb.jpg

after a couple of woo hoo's and a man hug, I think dave finally realised why I love fishing so much.

We took off to camp not long after that and left joe to fish the night, Joe came up to camp the next mornig with 8 nice flatties and a 55cm and 60cm jew.I said my goodbyes to dave in the morning and waited for another mate john to arrive to stay for the remainder of the trip.

John and I headed out on dark and met joe at another spot that we sometimes fish and we anchored up for the night.Apart from the largest pike eel I have ever seen - It had to be at least 8ft long and a head the size of a bucket, we didnt catch anything else and left joe when the fog started rolling in. We found out the next morning that joe managed to catch a couple more flathead and 2 more jew around 60cm. over the next remaining days and nights we fished 2 hours either side of the change of tide and managed at least half a dozen flathead and the odd jew thrown in around the 60cm mark including one that went 73cm, on our last night we managed 10 flathead and a jew. all in all a very relaxing and enjoyable week.

(MORE PHOTOS FURTHER DOWN NOW ADDED)
pete.

Edited by tide'n'knots

Well done, Pete!! How good is that??? TOP jewie!! Glad you had a powered site - it would have been a bit COLD later in the week!!!

Good to see you out getting into some good fish! :D

Roberta

Great fish! It sounds lie you had an amazing time. May I ask what bait do the damage?

the fish took a peeled prawn. we used squid and fillets etc but for some reason the majority of fish up there take peeled prawns.

pete.

That is a great Jew, good to see your mate has broken his drought, perhaps he will continue his form from this point. ;)

I doubt it as dave says he is a real land lubber! I am just glad I finally got to see he get a good fish. He was already eager to tell the boys down at the local about his catch and typical fisherman was already streaching the truth saying that he had caught a 36kg fish on an old wooden handline with a knotted up rope for a line. we had a good laugh about that one!

pete

Well done, Pete!! How good is that??? TOP jewie!! Glad you had a powered site - it would have been a bit COLD later in the week!!!

Good to see you out getting into some good fish! :D

Roberta

Hi roberta, hows the artheritis going have you been able to get out on the water? by the way your little fleesy hood/vest thing that you gave me was worth its wait in gold on those cold nights - I owe you one!

pete

...hows the artheritis going have you been able to get out on the water?.....

Hi Pete - it is still a pain in the proverbial ..... can't wait to get onto the water again - all going well, first weekend in June, when Michelle comes up & can help me with the yak! Shoulder is slowly improving.

...little fleesy hood.....

he, he, I have one in the camper, one with my fishing gear, one in my wardrobe ...... always in easy reach! :D It can make all the difference on a cold fishing night (or day)!

cheers

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Great report, Pete! And you finally put your mate Dave onto some decent fish! :) You got me hankering to get back down to Wisemans - haven't been to the caravan for months. One last trip before it sells, maybe. ;) I must forget about happy hour at the park and fish those tide changes at night!

Baz