Boat Suitability For Offshore Fishing

Guest Sea Jay

Guest Sea Jay

This is my first time on this site and i am pretty new to the fishing game, but i am looking to get serious and catch some real fish.

Just a question i was hoping to get some help on so i dont get my self in trouble.

I have just bought a Sea Jay 4.4m Aluminum boat with a 4 stroke Honda 40Hp outboard motor. I have a Humminbird Matrix GPS and a standard 2 radio

Do you think this boat is suitable for offshore fishing and is there any places around the hawksbury and botany bay areas that you can suggest i start venturing 'outside' to where i can start to catch some real fish, rather than just whinching goldfish size bait fish to te surface which is all i have experienced in the past.

Any help is greatly appriciated.

Edited by Sea Jay

:1welcomeani: to the site Seajay.

Probably need a few more details on your boat to get a real idea of how far out you can go, mind you if you've got the right safety gear you can get a long way out if you pick your weather, some blokes caught some insane fish out of tiny tinnies in the 70.s.

To kick off, look into Flint and Steel, out around Box head, Lion Island and Barrenjoey, East and West Reefs and Boltons out of the Hawkesbury.

Plenty of big fish options around the mouth of the harbour too, From Quarantine pt and Old Mans Hat and around North head is another good area.

Pick the right day and lauch at Long reef and youre in for a short run to the Long Reef grounds too

All depends on what youre comfortable with, be very weather aware, have good radios and bail if you have doubts.

Plenty of good fish options in enclosed waters too, Kings in the harbour and Pittwater, Jewies in the harbour and Hawkebury and Cowan,

The fish are there you just have to work at them, but the same should be said of all the offshore reefs around Sydney, All the dumb fish were caught a long time ago

Regards Pogo

Guest bluecod
:1welcomeani:  to the site Seajay.

Probably need a few more details on your boat to get a real idea of how far out you can go, 

60798[/snapback]

As Pogo says above - not only would someone want more details on your boat, but also on you and your crews seamanship.

You can put an inexperienced bloke in a boat and he can get into all sorts of difficulties in an estuary, whereas a good seaman in the same boat can go to sea in shocking conditions and be OK.

Make sure you've got all the safety gear including a reliable radio, make sure everone on board knows where it is and how to use and DON'T push yourself or the boat. In time, your experience and confidence in crew and boat will build and you'll find yourself going further and further from the ramp.

If you get somewhere and you find that you could be getting into problems, start using your safety gear, lifejackets first then radio your location and to advise your problem. Sea rescue is useless if you can only stay afloat for 30 minutes and help is still an hour away. First sign of difficulties, let it be known so that when it is really needed, help is already on its way.

Until your confidence and abilities improve, I wouldn't be taking it outside the heads. To get some experience, hook up with someone on this site who is going outside, go in their boat, ask questions and be observant.

Gidday seajay,

at the risk of blowing the "SEA JAY" trumpet ,I have a much smaller version of the same boat (4m version).

Blue cod is right about the safety gear ,dont leave home without it and make sure it works.I have taken my boat to a few locations in conditions that can only be described as a calculated risk.

I can only re iterate what blue cod says about experience and can only say that if you want to team up with another boat ,let us know and we may be able to help.

To give you an idea on what I call a calculated risk ,the photo I have posted is me at a place called Black rock ,I got there by crossing the small bar at Back creek at South West Rocks.

The tinny even though small has had quite a few modifications added to it but it still adds up to a very sea worthy hull.

Cheers Simon

post-112-1123161314_thumb.jpg

Edited by REKLESS

All good advice.

I'd add to be aware of your 'comfort zone' and listen to your instincts. Your gut will tell you that you're out too far or if the weather and seas are too threatening. If you have any doubts whatsoever turn around and head back in. There's always another day.

Gradually as you build experience & familiarity with the area and your boat, your confort zone will extend further out.

My goal is almost always to head outside BUT I always have a fallback plan if the seas or weather precludes going offshore (which is usually to find a quiet spot in the river, dangle a bait over the side and sit in the sun & drink beer all day). Sometimes trip after trip will be bombed out but eventually you'll round Juno point at daybreak and see nothing but flat seas and blue sky and your heart will lift because you're heading outside and you're going to catch at bucketload of fish!!!!

Remember also that it's no fun outside in crap weather. Being bounced around like a rag doll & feeling crook is not an enjoyable day so why take the risk.

See you on the water.

Sea Jay All the guys have given good advice.

To pick up on a point iain made , always have a plan "B" should the weather be bad when you arrive at the ramp or turn bad during the day.

A lot of fatalities occur because guy's have decided to go to a particular fishing spot & are totally focused on that decision with very little regard for the weather.

The sea can be your best friend or worst enemy & when the weather starts to turn , head for home

Apoligies if I sound like preaching but second chances can be uncommon

Happy fishing :1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1:

Regards

Geoff

I'll never forget that footage of those blokes a few tears ago that tried to cross the Narooma bar in mountainous seas. As they crossed the bar this MASSIVE wave came in and absolutely smashed them. The even more distressing footage was of blokes being sucked out to sea just a few metres from the breakwall but noone could reach them.

These guys obviously could not resist the temptation to go outside and paid the ultimate price.

Iain,

I was thinking about the same thing as I read this post. They made the decision to go apparently as it was the only chance they would get as the blokes were down form the bush. It all amounts to something akin to peer pressure. Sea Jay - if you ain't comfortable, don't let anyone else talk you into it.

There is always another day, and an estuary to fish.

Take your time, learn the boats capabilities, and make your early trips outside with someone who knows what they are doing.

Cheers

Ken

Edited by cajun

Guest Sea Jay

Thanks every one for all your post, i will definetly gained alot of good information and will stay inside the river for a few more trips, as i said this is a new boat and i am still learning things about her.

So do you agree that Flint and steel and Juno's are some good places to gain experience on before heading outside, as i said i want also learn more and experience some good fishing

The areas you mentioned are as good as any to get some experience. Be wary in a north east & a run out tide as the area from a little west of Flint out to Barrenjoey can be anything from uncomfortable to dangerous in a small boat depending on wind/tide strength.

There's plenty of fishing available in Pittwater with everything from Bream & Flatties through to Kings , Salmon & Bonito. Areas like Flint are still in easy range as well. Depends where you are travelling from to launch I suppose. I used to launch at Apple Tree Bay but the last 7 or 8 years I was in Sydney we drove the extra miles & launched at Bayview & saved ourselves many a bumpy trip across Flint & Steel when the NE wind was up of an arvo.

:1welcomeani: Chuckz7

Plenty of current goes through the Flint area. Anchoring up would be your best bet if your after Jews. Its pretty popular there & you could be unpopular quickly drifting through all the boats anchored there :1naughty:

I started the flint in a old quintrex breezeabout - a good place to start - better still go with someone from fishraider!.

Watch your freeboard at the transom - my old breezeabout, with a oversized motor on the transom (50hp) did on occasions take water over the back when anchored up - even on sow and pigs from the manly ferry.

Fortunately, most modern boats have full rear transoms - I ended up building a engine well around the back of the old quintrex giving an additional 5 inches of transom freeboard.

if you take the weight of a oversized motor (or heavier 4 stroke) battery, fuel and live bait tank all up the back and you could eassily get into trouble.

Dont venture too far with a short shaft motor on any tinny. Why short shaft tinnies in the 3-4m range are built is beyond me.

And you will learn how small tinnies can not ride swells - they broach like a surfboat - possibly throwing you out of the boat. Small tinny weight distribution is very very critical.

I remember coming back into Long reef in a black nor easter, and broaching on almost every wave. We were in-experienced, and all huddled up behind the windscreen (4 of us), so all the weight was up the front of the boat - causing the broaching - Watch what the surfboat dudes do - as soon as the wave starts overtaking the boat, they all race up the back, to stop the bow diging into the water, and bouncing out, forcing the broach.

• Like 1