buying a 14ft alloy for bay and close inshore ,any advice please.

leonardgid

hi there raiders, having a very small budget i would like to buy a new 15hp 2 stroke, with a used 14ft alloy to fish river, harbour and as often as i can out side the heads, up to 2 mile max , weather permitting that is , im specially interested in the kind of hull/ make for this sort of fishing , this boat will be used by 2 people max, thank you all for your advice.

Edited by leonardgid

U may want to consider 25 hp if ur going outside 2 miles. Good luck with ur search. Neil.

Agree. 2 people plus gear & a 15hp on a 14' boat will be working hard be it inside or outside. Go for the 25hp.

If , when you decide to sell the boat a 25hp motor will be far more saleable boat than one fitted with a 15hp

Geoff

Research 4.2m(ish) open tinnies, with V shape hull - i.e. quintrex dory, stacer seahorse/nomads and equivalent allycraft, brooker models... that's a good start..

I'd also recommend 30hp(+) for the above...

Having owned a few tinnies over my time, I would buy a boat with either forward steer, centre console or side console. If the weather gets nasty, you can get home a lot easier. also makes for a smoother ride if you are just one up in the boat.

Guest Aussie007

botany can get rough in the video below the wind is blowing around 20 knots chop was about half a meter felt uncomfy so i left shortly after, i was in my old 14ft alloy boat with a 25hp couldnt do much more than half speed in the chop unless i wanted to snap my spine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On0dzGu4sAk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SIyGsuH-Ls

I would advise you save a bit more money and buy a better boat than you are thinking. That extra thousand could make a huge difference in the end.

If you are already thinking about fishing outside in the boat definitely look at bigger boat. As all others have said your motor is far too small.

You should look at a forward steering boat / runabout. As one poster said more comfortable. Amazing the difference you get. Also buy a boat that has plenty of depth. Look at something like the old Quinnies. Solid as...........

Mate i was in the same situation as you.

Originally Wanted a newish smallish tiller steer for the harbour etc to fit a small budget.i ended up buying an older but bigger and more powerful runabout. Quintrex lazeabout 4.90 with a 70hp. I leave from drummoyne and cross the entire length of the harbour and i would not want to do it anything less. Getting home on a calm day just with the ferries can be tough. Add some bad weather and its down right dangerous.

Just some advice from personal experience.